What do you think of my trainer's advice?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Quote: Here's another question - my trainer, when I was talking about this, had me multiply my current weight by 7, which results in 1540-something. Does anyone know why she asked me that? I have never heard that formula before and I am wondering what she was getting at. This information directly preceded her advice to burn 500 cal/day at the gym.

I was expecting some gain/stall at the outset of going back to the gym, but having been back for two months, I guess I figured that phase would be behind me...
    Rapid muscle gain for newbies can last for several months especially over weight newbies. In the case of a female though - rapid muscle gain is maybe 1 lb a month - depending on genetics. So ... who knows.

As for the 7x weight - never heard it either but I have heard 9x weight. So again ... who knows.
  • I would just continue doing what you're doing. I'm confident that you will start seeing losses over time.

F.
  • Just wanted to let you know, it took me over a month to begin to see changes in my weight. I'm still going a little slow, but I do feel it's forever. Keep up the good work and give it a little time!
  • Some people pack on weight super fast and lose it super fast.

When you say you have some higher days, maybe thats actually destroying more than you think. Keep a very strict diet, record every single thing you put into your body and don't go over the max - its a simple game of maths.
    And your trainer may be right; trainers are an excellent way to push you because oftentimes, they know your limits. Just because you're a little uncomfortable during a work out, it doesn't mean you're at your full potential.
  • I agree with John.
    Stick with it and see if a whoosh comes, and maybe add more exercise if you can fit it in.