Canadian on a trip to US - what to buy?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • They have tons of WF products at IGA Extra too (has to be an extra regular IGA have nothing). Along with all the jams, maple syrup, salad dressing, i also found 3 kinds of mayo, the PB (which IS bad but i like it mixed with my chocolate pudding), they have the regular, thick and hickory BBQ sauce.

My walmart and Maxi & Cie have all 4 kinds of Mio
  • Quote: I work at Sobeys and we have 4 different kinds, I just noticed them tonight while stocking shelves. -_-
    That's good to know. Another source for MIO. There are a couple of Sobeys in my city. Oddly enough one is practically across the street from the METRO where I also found MIO. Do you happen to know if Sobeys sells any of the WF products?
  • Quote: That's good to know. Another source for MIO. There are a couple of Sobeys in my city. Oddly enough one is practically across the street from the METRO where I also found MIO. Do you happen to know if Sobeys sells any of the WF products?
    Not the Alberta ones...
  • Quote: Metro also sells a bunch of Walden Farms stuff.

When you're in the US you should go to a grocery store (we go to Tops) and stock up on 4C Totally Light drink crystals. They're individually packaged singles that we use in 1L water and they're delish! Best of all they're made with splenda so totally IP 'approved'.
    Will see if they are there for sure! Thanks!

Quote: That's good to know. Another source for MIO. There are a couple of Sobeys in my city. Oddly enough one is practically across the street from the METRO where I also found MIO. Do you happen to know if Sobeys sells any of the WF products?
    Found 4 flavours at our local Loblaws so obviously catching on...

Quote: They have tons of WF products at IGA Extra too (has to be an extra regular IGA have nothing). Along with all the jams, maple syrup, salad dressing, i also found 3 kinds of mayo, the PB (which IS bad but i like it mixed with my chocolate pudding), they have the regular, thick and hickory BBQ sauce.
    Will see if there are any IGA's around but Sobey's here does not have any. I have found WF only at the College Square Loblaws (for those in Ottawa).
  • For the 4C stuff, make sure you get the Totally Light ones. They carry the same flavours in larger canister sizes so we bought two, thinking we could make pitchers of water at home.

Well, they're FULL of sugar. Not the Totally Light brand. Yeah. Won't be using those!!!
  • I know that there is endless debate on sweeteners, whether they be products containing:
    Sugar Alcohols (MIO)
    Natural Sweeteners with Zero Calories (Stevia) or,
    Artificial Sweeteners (Splenda)

I just want everyone to be wary of their effects on your personal ketogenic state.. It's difficult to get a clear answer online unfortunately, and from what I can glean from various sources, is that their effects depends on individuals.
  • I am back from the US...wow what a price difference in WF products.

My IP approved items were:
    I can't believe it's not butter olive oil spray
    WF spicy BBQ sauce and regular BBQ sauce
    WF ketchup
    4C totally light iced tea (for the cottage when everyone is drinking)
    Different sea salt grinders and some spice blends for meats
    Freeze dried red chili peppers
    Dill pickles made with sea salt
    Shirataki noodles - angel hair and fettuccine

The biggest score for me was fish fillets, shrimp and scallops. So much cheaper!!! Good thing I brought a cooler.

I made an amazing dinner when my parents visited on Friday so these days I am craving seafood. Here is what I did:

5oz tilapia and 3oz shrimp (raw tail and shell removed)
    1/4 c asparagus
    1/4 c cauliflower cut small
    1/4 c sliced zucchini
    1/4 c red pepper sliced
    Baby spinach
    minced garlic, sea salt, pepper, fresh dill, parsley, and tarragon and squirt of lemon juice

I made packets with parchment paper...lay fish and shrimp on baby spinach. Add herbs, garlic and lemon. Place veggies on top and season with salt and pepper. Fold parchment packets over and roll the edges. Cook at 425 for 15 mins or until fish is cooked through. Place packets right on plate and slice open in centre. Nice presentation and delish!

I am going to try adding scallops next time.

Thanks for all the suggestions.