unsweetened coconut milk

• I just saw this at my local store in the dairy case with the alternative milks. It's only 1g of carbs. Would this be good for any phase? I'm hoping it's something I could mix with the protein powder to give it that thing it's really lacking.
  • Quote: I just saw this at my local store in the dairy case with the alternative milks. It's only 1g of carbs. Would this be good for any phase? I'm hoping it's something I could mix with the protein powder to give it that thing it's really lacking.
    phase 4 in maintenance, not sure about phase 1 as you can only have 1 oz of skim milk... I would compare the nutritional values and if it is better than you should be able to but not a whole amount. just the 1 oz.
  • With the fat count I don't believe it is Phase 1 appropriate:

50 calories
    5 g fat
    5 g saturated fat
    total carbs 1 g
    fiber 0 g
    sugars 0 g
    protein 1 g
  • That's too much fat? Huh.
  • Not knowing the serving size intended I just went with the 85% fat/ 15% protein ratio and for phase 1 its usually a 0 / 0 / 0 'pass' on extras. Its something you should ask your coach about or post in the daily chat for more 'eyes'
  • That's a good question ferrousgal. I have protein powder from the health food store (0/0/0), and was wondering if I could mix it with Almond Milk. Here are the stats for Almond Breeze:

Blue Diamond - Almond Breeze Almond Milk - Unsweetened - Original*

Serving size 1 Cup:

Calories 40
    Total Fat 4 g
    Total Carbs 2 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Protein 1 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Vitamin A 10%
    Calcium 30%
    Iron 4%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Do you guys think it would be OK to drink this as a meal replacement?
  • Coconut milk is super good for you but wait till maintenance. It's a good fat though. But, until then you may choose to try Almond milk. Please make sure you get unsweetened. I ooopsed one day but once I found the right one I had no issues. I know some use the vanilla pre-mixed but it is higher in calories and stuff than the almond milk. Do a comparison. Start small and see how you handle it. The recommendation is 1oz. skim milk which is just white water to me. Blue Diamond has an unsweetened vanilla almond milk. (pink on top of the box/carton) I added alcohol free vanilla stevia also to my coffee. But, try that coconut milk at a later time

Regarding protein powder, take a close look at the ingredients. There are often lots of things in protein powders.
  • Quote: I just saw this at my local store in the dairy case with the alternative milks. It's only 1g of carbs. Would this be good for any phase? I'm hoping it's something I could mix with the protein powder to give it that thing it's really lacking.
    I've had at least a whole 8oz of nonfat milk per day in my coffee and tea on IP and have lost over 30lbs in two months. You can have more than what they say. Also, I've taken to unsweetened flax milk. It sounds weird but it's really good. I sweeten it with a little stevia or walden farms chocolate syrup for a treat. It's only 25 calories/2.5 grams of fat (no saturated/1 carb/0 sugar per 8oz serving. You can find it at most health food type stores.
  • Quote: I've had at least a whole 8oz of nonfat milk per day in my coffee and tea on IP and have lost over 30lbs in two months. You can have more than what they say. Also, I've taken to unsweetened flax milk. It sounds weird but it's really good. I sweeten it with a little stevia or walden farms chocolate syrup for a treat. It's only 25 calories/2.5 grams of fat (no saturated/1 carb/0 sugar per 8oz serving. You can find it at most health food type stores.
    The protocol sheet says nothing else unless it is 0/0/0 so technically the additions you are talking about are NOT on the P1 protocol.

If you have more than what the protocol says then are you following protocol?
  • Quote: I've had at least a whole 8oz of nonfat milk per day in my coffee and tea on IP and have lost over 30lbs in two months. You can have more than what they say. Also, I've taken to unsweetened flax milk. It sounds weird but it's really good. I sweeten it with a little stevia or walden farms chocolate syrup for a treat. It's only 25 calories/2.5 grams of fat (no saturated/1 carb/0 sugar per 8oz serving. You can find it at most health food type stores.
    You're paying pretty good money for that protocol to not follow it - yes 30lbs in 2 months is great, but it's entirely possible that your losses would be even better if you had followed protocol as it is written. You may just be a lucky anomaly whose body has a higher tolerance for "extras", but you may have also hindered your own progress.