Diabetes Chat for May

You're on Page 3 of 10
Go to
  • Ruth, I got strawberries in my CSA crate last week. The moment I brought everything home, I grabbed one of the pints and rinsed the berries well, then nibbled away at them right there. Didn't do my blood sugar levels ANY favors, but they were so good! I'm calling that a calculated splurge.

Yesterday was an odd day for me. I went to a friend's house (the home of the farming couple who own the CSA where I get my veggies) and I helped make fresh pesto from the organic basil from their field. We mad A LOT of basil. And, of course, I had to taste it as I was making it. I must have tasted under a half cup of pesto. It had basil, raw almonds, dry Jack cheese and extra virgin olive oil. Oh my lord it was tasty! Really, I just stood at the sink and licked out the bowls! (Hmmm, I must have an issue with standing at the sink to eat.) By the end of the four hours, I was really quite full. The only other thing I had eaten before that was a couple hard-cooked eggs and a cup of coffee with cream. And I wasn't hungry again till 10 pm! At that time I grabbed a handful of almonds, a piece of feta cheese and drank my big glass of water with apple cider vinegar just before going to bed.

I lost another 1.5 lbs by this morning, but my fbs was back up to 122. So it seems that I just can't be eating anything past 6:30 pm because it'll affect my blood sugar adversely.

But I'm really happy with my steady weight loss!

My very best regards to all of you. Have a lovely day!
  • I am envious of you folks with local berries. Ours are all from California or Florida these days. The yummy local ones don't start until the end of June.

Went to the doc this morning and have a renewal for my diuretic. Too bad our wee drugstore is closed this afternoon and I just don't feel like driving to town. Dandelion tea is my drug of choice today!
  • Hey gang: big hello to all. Georgia: are you not able to manage fruit? I would have thought fresh strawberries with no added sugar would be ok. Or did you just overindulge?
    I was down a bit with weight today, so hope it will continue. Sticking to basic points today, having ham, a few scalloped potatoes and some broccoli for supper.
    Found out campbell garden minestrone soup (whole can) is just 5 points. Made a good lunch.
    have a great day everyone
  • Hi all,

Sorry I haven't posted for so long. I have been busy getting ready for vacation, and now we are in Florida, at Disney World. I have been doing well keeping my carbs in line, as well as my calories. Disney has many healthy food choices at every park, which makes it easier to do.

Have a good week, everyone.
  • It was hard to stop myself with the strawberries, Mad , but I normally can't do fruit. I was juicing a few months ago, only putting half an apple in with cucumber, celery, cilantro, ginger and lime (so delicious!) and that was popping up my blood sugar. So do the fresh oranges from my tree.

Melon season is coming...I'm going to be crying a lot all summer! I LOVE cantaloupe, casabas and watermelon. And those honeydew melons...oh my lord!

And grilled pineapple with ice cream. Fruity sangrias...Waaaaaaaaah!

I may not be throwing my backyard parties this year.
  • FBS high today, 5.9, but it was at 5 am. I was paged in the night, and although I didn't need to go out, I couldn't get back to sleep. Had a bowl of cereal and some herbal stuff (valerian) and then slept from 530 to 9, so am better now.
    Needing to eat that early may throw off my points for the day.
    Georgia, eating fruit is the biggest reason I am glad to have switched from atkins to ww. I am really enjoying it, and without sugar on it, haven't had any problems with spikes. I too tend to over indulge in things. I expect when the Ontario strawberries are fresh and available I will over do it, and when the sweet cherries come, I eat them by the basket, unable to stop. On atkins, they start with berries and melons, these usually have a lower glycemic index, so maybe the melons will be ok for you. Perhaps if you can have smaller servings, that will help. ( i couldn't get to that point with atkins, I was gaining and not losing if not on strict induction)
    It is promising to be a very busy work week, so not sure how much exercise I will get, but will keep trying to be good with food with the stress.
    happy Tuesday to all the chickies
  • Just a quick flyby to say hello. Still hanging in there and doing what I need to do to get this weight off. Sure thankful it isn't really hot here today as our ac went out Saturday night. Sure hope it will be fixed by tomorrow and isn't too expensive since money isn't going to well with our situation. Hubby said something last night about having to talk to the kids yet again. Not sure what about, I didn't ask. He wants to talk to DD and DSIL only this time. All I know is that sometime their "free" ride is going to have to come to an end. No one asks me if I will do things, they just assume that I will do it. At this point I know that I'm going to be 69 yrs old in August and I don't want to spend what years I may have left sitting in this chair becoming a bitter old lady. I'm tired of taking care of children who don't obey anyone and don't do what you ask. My children and grand children were not disrespectful and my 2 little great granddaughters don't act like that. Anyway, still don't know how all this is going to end. Just trying to keep my cool and my sanity at the same time. I think if I can focus on my weight and taking care of DH and me that it will keep my mind off of things and my stress level down. I'm not saying much because I'm trying to stay calm because I'm not far from wanting to give up and walk away from all of this. I love them all, but I feel like I've been stretched like a rubberband and ready to snap. Can't say much to DH because it is his family and it makes him sick. I don't want his ulcers coming back.

Hope we all have a great day. Later!
  • HELP WANTED!!!!!! someone to stand behind me and push and make me accountable for getting up eating right and working out daily seemed to have fallen off this roller coaster so many times and I don't know how to get off and get back on track. seems like I am letting everyone around me deiced how and what I am going to be eating any more I hate it I am starting back with all the aches and pains in my legs and hips from not working out but I jest cant seem to pull myself up and get back to it. Before I moved her I was working out 3 to 4 hours a day now its down to nothing and I want to see the light again!!!!!!
    My cousin here keeps telling me were are gonna start working out but it never happens I am tired of waiting around for someone else I never did that before I don't know why it would be a problem now. What is wrong with me I feel so terrible I am so down I don't know what to do with my self to keep from hiding I go and drowned myself in a book Believe me I have been hiding allot in two weeks I have read 4 500 page books and now I am on the 5th one. I am going to the dr in 3 months for refills and I want to see a change when I go in....... So please any one who wants to please push me hard!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for the vent I jest feel so bad and I feel like I have no support here in my house right now...
  • BOnnie: here's a kick in the pants. I think you should commit to a simple 20-30 minute walk every day. You can do that with kids, or on your own. working out for hours a day isn't practical or needed unless you are training as an athlete. Start small so you don't overwhelm yourself. Try to just stick to your eating plan and have a short walk and report back!
  • Hi Bonnie - Sorry you are going through this. I know how that is as I've been going through some of that and I too have a tendency to hide in a book or for me a computer game and reading. I decided to heck with everyone and just get control of my life. Hope you can do the same. I like what Mad said. We don't have to do hours of exercise because I used to exercise 20 minutes 3 days a week and I was doing good with it and my hips didn't hurt and no aches and pains. Then I read 20 or 30 minutes a day wasn't enough. Then I read that just exercising a little bit throughout the day is even good for you... 10 min here and 10 min there. So now I do what I can do and know that I'm doing good for me cause any moving is better than none. Hey I started over this week getting back OP so, let's do this together. You are much younger than me... do yourself a favor and don't wait. You can do it. I think you are like me... you do a lot of things for others so now it is time for you to to do something for you. It took my blessed second DMIL who I loved like a Mother who taught me it was okay to do some things for myself.

Mad - Are you finding that you have a little more energy eating a little bit of carbs? I was amazed one day when I decided to eat something carby and it felt like I just came alive. However, I also found that if I overdo the carbs that it works like sleeping pill. Just my observation.

BTW - Sorry for the venting earlier. I appreciate y'all allowing me to mouth off here. It does help. I feel much better this afternoon and more in control of my life. Nothing changed, but it was like a release valve. Thanks y'all. I just love y'all and appreciate you sooooo very much.

So
  • Fatmad and Trish Thanks so much so well today is a OK day. My aunt wanted to go meet her daughter for lunch at wendys today so I went and fixed me a lunch and took it with me so I only had to get me a drink . I explained to her that I can not be going out to dinner everyday I don't mind going with her but I will be taking my own lunch.
    I went walking tonight I went by myself I walked around the neighbor hood and It took me 50 minutes to get around the neighborhood once you pass a point you cant come back until you make the round or you turn around That was not a option for me so me and my Ipod had some quality time tonight!!! Jest what I need Think I am gonna talk to the hubby tonight about putting me a tv and VCR in the garage so I will have some where to work out... Give me a place I can go with out the company of others. Jest me and my workout videos I might even take the Wii with me..

I am feeling pretty good... Please feel free to kick me in the pants again tomorrow so I will remember I am not alone Here...
  • Fly-by again - getting to be a habit.

I definitely was heading into edema again. The scale showed a 3 pound drop this morning after starting the diuretic yesterday. I'm at 180 again and hope to see the 170s tomorrow. It was scary seeing 184. My foot is getting back to normal and I can now wear my regular shoe instead of a slipper.

Off to the gym and this afternoon there will be gardening on the schedule. my asparagus has started so guess what's on the dinner menu? Maybe roasted or stir-fried with shrimp?
  • Hello Everyone,

Been a busy day but a good one. Jaxx had his therapy and the ac is fixed. Lots of different things going on but the nice thing is that everything fell in place. ON plan and all is well here.

Bonnie - Sounds like you ended up with a good day yesterrday and you have a plan in mind for doing some special things for yourself. I hope today was just as good.

Ruthie - So glad the fluid is coming off and losing again.

Mad, Jane, Georgia and others reading - :hi:
  • hey all, short hello, very tired after long work day. Weighed in tonight, and back down below ticker, will see if I can stay there or lose more and build on that.
    Ruth: whats going on with this edema? Glad you are doing better and your "real" weight is showing through now.
    Bonnie, here's another kick to get you moving, and keep going!
    Trish: head down and keep going. You can get there. Hope DH talk with the "kids" goes well.
    Bye for now,
  • No idea about the ongoing and recurring edema, Mad. Dr Jack is puzzled too and wants to see me before the next renewal. Methinks an MRI might be in order. It seems to be related to the "step into a floor vent" episode last summer - may be haematoma. My BP is excellent, Ha1C is still below 6 and the Doppler on the neck arteries showed no narrowing. The anterior tibialis is still swollen, possible damaged permanently, and may be causing the problem.

Anyhow, I'll do the diuretic thing and make sure I don't deplete my potassium stores. (Who knew baked potatoes were very high in potassium? I may indulge - for health reasons, of course!)

It sucks to get old but I'm fighting it. Lots of people younger than me are dead!