Any insulin-dependent Type II diabetics?

• Hello! I am not diabetic myself, but I have a dear friend who has had diabetes for many years and is on insulin a couple of times a day and has a very difficult time controlling her blood sugar at times. She also has very bad eating habits. She has been overweight all of her adult life, even before the diabetes (probably what helped spur it on originally), but is heavier now than ever. I know taking the weight off would be beneficial to her, but she is at least 100 lbs overweight and it has proven just too overwhelming for her to try to tackle - like many of us, she cannot visualize success and has basically given up.

I would like to recommend she give the IP program at least a look - I realize she would have to speak with her physician about it and be monitored much more closely than the non-diabetic IPer, but are there any insulin-dependent Type II diabetics out there who could tell me what your experience has been on IP? How did your blood sugars react to the new way of eating? Did you have a lot of adjusting of your insulin doses to do or adjusting of the program itself? How successful have you been in dropping the weight and lowering your insulin requirements? What have your diabetes-related challenges been with IP?
  • I was type II when I started IP. Took insulin at night and metformin during the day. Always had a challenge getting my fasting blood sugars in target.

10 days into IP I was off insulin entirely.

10 days.

I still take metformin but only two a day. My blood sugars are PERFECT.

• I am not familiar with any dieters with DM that have done IP. However, the most important thing is to find a GOOD coach who has worked with insulin dependent diabetics before. Especially if your friend's DM is not in control, even with meds. For instance, my coach should never take on clients in this situation. A coach who understands DM and nutrition is what is needed here. A dental hygenist or an assistant to a chiropractor is probably not going to cut it for your friend. (I know that sounds terrible, but IP lets just about anyone become a coach.) If your friend is not really motivated, she may pick the first person she sees or calls. Good luck.
  • Thank you both. So appreciate your insight. For sure she would have to clear it with her own physician, but it just seems, if it is safe for her, that IP would be the way to go.
  • It totally is, I'm living (and recent!) proof!

Yes, working with her doctor is KEY. Right from the start. I needed to titrate down very quickly as the carbs disappeared and that needed to be with medical guidance.

The impact will also depend on what type of insulin she takes. I was on a long release formula which kind of made things worse as my system would get continually flooded with insulin it didn't need.

Anyway, all that to say that yes, she can indeed do IP and it's possible to have incredible, life changing results in a very short period of time.