onions

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Onions
    So glad I read this. I didn't realize the impact of cooked onions.
  • Quote: Okay, I know this probably seems dumb but if it's only heat that's releasing the sugar, wouldn't that mean that the sugars are inherently in the onions...?? It seems odd that just "releasing" them would make it unhealthier since they're coming out of the product itself.
    Quote: Onions have long-chained sugars, which digest slowly and do not raise blood sugar quickly. If you cook them in any way, those sugars break down to short-chained sugars, causing higher blood sugar and an insulin spike (like eating candy). Since the goal is to reset your pancreas by resting it, giving it sugar makes it work. While it may not knock you out of ketosis, it is counter-productive to our goal to get the weight off as fast as possible...to get on and off IP.
    THANK YOU for this explanation. Just having my coach say "cooking releases the sugars in onions" wasn't making a believer out of me, but your explanation is very helpful.

Makes me a bit sad - will have to add cooked onions to the mental list of things I can have once I'm done, but it's worth it!!
  • I'm not crazy about raw onion, so I'll be trying it once I'm further in. I knew onions would caramelize but I like that I know the how and why now. Thanks!
  • Great info! I prefer green onions if cooking them but love raw purple onion.