New here but not new to dieting *sigh*

• Hello Everyone!

So, I started a diet on Friday (it's like a mixture of Atkins and Paleo diet). It's been going well so far but our community fridge (I live on campus) has been recently filled with 6 cheesecakes and an orange vanilla cake and I have been going crazy lol. I haven't eaten any but OMG.

So, I have a TON of weight to lose. Well, not a metric ton but close (well not close but you know lol).

I have an idea that will keep me motivated.

I am a Seminarian and had contacted a local missions group to run a "Starv-a-thon." This fund raiser, people will pledge per pound I will lose. It will go on through December 31, 2012. The proceeds will go towards children in my city who goes without food.

I think this is a good will power.
  • I like that idea!! Keep us posted on how it works out! And welcome to 3fc.
  • Welcome, I'm new here too. Hope you do well and that is a very good idea!
  • I love the idea of losing weight with a donation-based pledge behind it. I think any goal that keeps you motivated is good, but this may help connect you to that baseline human instinct that we all take for granted - the free, plentiful availability of food for sustenance. Not merely a cheesecake (like you've mentioned and has sadly made my mouth remember how good cheesecake tastes) but just your everyday caloric necessity that so many in every community go without.

I admire you and wish you much good fortune in your weight loss with a message!
  • I think I would be too afraid I wouldn't lose anything! But perhaps the pressure is a big motivator.
  • Welcome and wow what a wonderful idea not only to motivate you, but to help others! Good luck!
  • ANNAH ~ that's a very clever idea and very generous of you. That would make you be a lot more accountable too. Maybe you could start a thread somewhere (i.e. weightloss support forum) around this idea, so you can keep us posted on how you are doing. This really is a great place, with lots of caring, supportive people ... we're cheering for you!
  • That is an awesome idea! Then it is not only yourself that you are not eating cheesecake for, it's a whole bunch of kids that are counting on you! Way to go!
  • I agree with everyone else...welcome and great idea!