NSV - Weight lifting is AWESOME - and WHY the scale isn't the best measure of success

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Just had to share. I've been fairly discouraged at times, but that ends today!

As I was leaving the gym, one of the trainers patted me on the shoulder and said - "You are doing a great job!! You have lost a TON of weight!" It made my day.

The funny thing? He's only been at the gym since February. In that time, I have lost FOUR lbs. Four. BUT I've been lifting heavy weights like a beast. And he's right, my body does look miles different with each passing week.

SO ladies!!! Don't get discouraged... and REMEMBER, sometimes the scale just doesn't tell the whole story .

Keep up the good work everyone!
  • I love lifting! Makes me feel strong and firm. That is, when the previous workout's burn subsides. Then I start all over! Yay heavy things (except me)! LOL.
  • woooo! great job!

I love lifting too! The past few weeks I have lost NOTHING and yet went down a pant size.
  • I LOVE strength training! I really need to add a third day in though. Right now i'm just doing Tuesdays & Thursdays. The strength training really helps with definition.

Keep up the great work!

P.s., you're quote of "strong is the new skinny" is very true. I've had this conversation with some of my guy friends. They don't like skinny. They like sculpted/healthier looking girls.
  • Thanks Ladies!!! Yay for buff chicks
  • Strong is indeed the new skinny! Excellent job on the reshaping, Val!
  • i've always said i wouldn't care if i stayed at 230lbs as long as my waist was 28" or less and i had 18% body fat!
  • That's really great, well done Val!

I'm looking into buying some weights for home as I live too far away from a gym.. not sure what to start with though.
  • Yay for strength training!
  • Thanks for posting this today Val! I have been struggling mentally in the past week or so because the scale has barely moved in a month, but I have been really hitting it at the gym with lifting. My husband was poking me in various places last night (heh, not a euphemism, I swear), noting how strong I felt under my padding - so I know my body is changing but dangit if the scale isn't moving.

Patience, patience, patience, right?
  • Lifting is a huge part of my plan! It really does make a huge difference in your body
  • i've been watching videos on youtube and i just started doing some lifting. only 8-10lb free weights for now.. :\
  • I agree with this being an awesome post!
    I've always wondered what your lifting schedule is like.
    Care to fill me in?
  • It varies. I'm very busy some weeks and not so busy on others. Currently, 3-5 days a week I hit the gym for 120 minutes. Run a mile or two, lift with HIIT interspersed, and cool down on the bike or the elliptical (mostly so I can cram some studying in) for about 20 minutes to cool down. I wish I could go every day! It's my time to clear my head space . Sometimes the only place I feel sane, is in the gym!

And THANK YOU everyone!!! I'm such a believer in heavy lifting for girls, now . It truly does amazing things.
  • That's awesome. I know exactly how you feel, especially when it comes to studying. Though generally I give up the studying for gym time lol
    Do you do a split routine?