If you used to have armpit fat...

You're on Page 1 of 8
Go to
  • ...but now you don't, how low did your bodyfat % have to go for it to disappear?

My armpit fat (which bulges out in a very unattractive manner) really makes me self-conscious. I haven't worn a tank or sleeveless shirt in years. I'm wondering if it'll ever go away, or if I'm stuck with it forever...
  • I've asked you this before but I'm not sure you saw it... but what bra size are you wearing and what is your underbust measurement???

Typically underarm fat comes from wearing a bra band that is too loose and cups that are too small. It's called breast tissue migration and when your bra is not supportive enough so the breast tissue moves to your underarm/back.
  • Quote: I've asked you this before but I'm not sure you saw it... but what bra size are you wearing and what is your underbust measurement???

Typically underarm fat comes from wearing a bra band that is too loose and cups that are too small. It's called breast tissue migration and when your bra is not supportive enough so the breast tissue moves to your underarm/back.
    Hm... that's interesting. Actually, for everyday wear, I run around in a (probably ill-fitting) sports bra. I kinda wear them as mini-tanks underneath low cut shirts. And they're comfortable.

For dress, I wore a 34-DD last time I was measured. But that was between my two kids, and I am pretty sure I am smaller now. I would guess that I'm about a 34-D or maybe a full C at this point.

I have been measured at Victoria's Secret and a Hanes store. We, unfortunately, don't have any really good high-end lingerie stores in my little town.
  • Oops... missed the underbust measurement question.

If I stand up straight with my shoulders back, directly under my bust I measure 28" around. Across my boobs I measure about 32", but that's when they're smooshed a bit by a sports bra.
  • Armpit fat was never, ever, a body fat percentage issue for me. It was ALWAYS a bra fit issue, as already mentioned. A properly cut cup and properly fitting bra band eliminated all my armpit fat and most of my back fat, too. If I had guess I'd say your cup sounds far too small and your band too big
  • When I first lost weight, I stopped having armpit fat at 115-120 lbs at 5'3''.
  • RUNNINGFROMFAT....Breast tissue migration? I'm intrigued. How do you know if that's what it is and is there a way to correct it so that it migrates back????
  • banananutmuffin ok, this definitely sounds like a case of breast tissue migration then! It sounds like most likely you need a 28 band, 34 bands have to be huge on you!!! What is your bust measurement? I discuss how to take it here (there are a few different options if especially you're in a ill-fitting bra).

Using sister sizes a 34D has the same volume as a 32DD so in a 28 band you'd need a 34D=32DD=30E=28F (UK sizes). You might find, though, that you actually need a larger cup size than that because a too big band can mask a too small cup size. Additionally, when you put on your bra, make sure to bend forward and scoop all of your breast tissue into the cups. This will help with breast tissue migration.

free1 - Yep, breast tissue migration is very much a real thing! Women often think that they have extra back fat/underarm fat when in reality it's a combination of an illfitting bra (too big back, too small cups) and not putting on a bra correctly (you need to lean forward and scoop all of your tissue into the cups).

If you go from wearing ill-fitting bras to well-fitting bras you might actually find your cup size go up over time (and sometimes your back size might even go down).

If you need any help with size/fit let me know!
  • In support of breast tissue migration - when I finally got a properly fitting bra (and it was a huge size difference, from 44DD to 38I) I actually gained a cup size in about two week's time, thanks to the breast tissue that had been mashed into my armpits and ribs ending up properly back in the cup once I gathered it all in (leaning forward and shaking helps with this). I was shocked but this apparently isn't uncommon.
  • I've been wondering the exact same thing. I've worn bras that fit, and I've worn bras thats too big. And its still there. And its really bad too.
    I dont think it'll get any better until I lose enough weight. And I guess that means I'll have to lose a lot..
  • I really have never heard of the migration. But you all have made me think about getting professionally fitted. I'm smaller...I wore a B cup even at my highest weight. After my children, I measured according to the rules at the time and I was a C Cup. The women in my family are very small...my sister is likely an A cup naturally but she will wear a B. I do have the side issues and I know that I spent YEARS in cheap fitting bras. I mean thrift stores really...$5 was about average.
  • Quote: I really have never heard of the migration. But you all have made me think about getting professionally fitted. I'm smaller...I wore a B cup even at my highest weight. After my children, I measured according to the rules at the time and I was a C Cup. The women in my family are very small...my sister is likely an A cup naturally but she will wear a B. I do have the side issues and I know that I spent YEARS in cheap fitting bras. I mean thrift stores really...$5 was about average.
    If you do get fitted, make sure whoever is measuring you doesn't add inches to the underbust measurement to get your band size. I just last week got into a properly fitted bra, thanks to runningfromfat's help, and it has changed my life!

I definitely have the migration going on, too, and I love how with the right bra on, it's all back up front where it's supposed to be.
  • I wear sport bras all the time. I look like I have one big boob. What do you suggest?
  • I think it can SOMETIMES be a bra fit question. But then again, could the same thing be said for the way jeans fit and the fact that someone cannot actually have belly fat--it's really just their jeans?

I store fat in my lower back. Even at my most fittest, there was fat stored there. Everyone will be different. Sometimes your face is first, or your fingers, or your stomach. Same thing goes I think for what goes LAST.
  • What's a "professional fitting"? - because I went to Macy's once for a fitting & the stupid ***** said I needed a "34B"... HUH? Couldn't even get the hooks to MEET much less hook in a 34, and EXCUSE ME but a "B"?!?!?!?! Nada. I paid good money for a full-C.