What have you tried?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • My mother-in-law has started seattle sutton and one of my friends is now trying accupuncture. All in the pursuit of weight loss. It really got me to thinking about how much time, effort and money I have spent over the years trying to lose weight. I have tried:

Counting Calories
    Weight Watchers
    Tops
    Overeaters Anonymous
    Jenny Craig
    Richard Simmons Food Mover
    Working with a Personal Trainer (high protein)
    Fit for life (food combining)
    Meridia
    Metabolife
    Dexatrim
    Slimfast
    Dr. Prescribed weight-loss pills
    Coffee/tomato diet
    Cabbage soup diet
    Atkins
    The zone
    Psychiatrist
    Hypnotist
    Health seminars
    Nutritionist (exchanges)
    Starvation

I'm sure there are many more. What have you tried??
  • i've tried a much shorter list:

Counting Calories
    Weight Watchers
    Metabolife (for like, one bottle)
    Slimfast
    Nutritionist (she sucked)

sigh. counting calories is the way to go for me. =)
  • My family doctor gave me speed when I was in high school, although he said I didn't need to lose weight. It worked--but the side effects, wow!

In my "natural phase", I tried a local naturopath who had a vegetarian program that included tofu. I can't remember the name of it.

Purging (that landed me in the hospital)

A low carb diet--can't remember which one.

A dietician recommended by my doctor.

Weight Watchers, which is the only way I've ever lost weight.
  • I'm probably the odd one out, but until now I've never tried to lose weight. I just didn't care before, I know it bothered me that I was overweight, but I honestly did not try to lose weight until last summer.
  • It might be easier to list what I haven't tried!
    I've been "dieting" since I was about nine, so I have quite an extensive list. Since I'm getting older, though, I probably only remember half of them

Let's see . . .
    Weight Watchers (three or four times)
    Jenny Craig
    Counting Calories
    Zone
    Dean Ornish
    Carbohydrate Addicts Diet (CAD)
    Physician's Weight Loss
    Nutri-System
    12-day Diet
    Grapefruit Diet
    Sugar Busters
    Thin-n-Healthy
    Richard Simmon's Deal-a-Meal
    Richard Simmon's Food Mover
    Dexatrim
    Revival Soy
    Slim Fast
    Xenadrine
    Cabbage Soup Diet
    Diabetic Exchange

Besides Revival Soy & Slim Fast, there was another "shake" program that I did. I don't remember the name of it, but I remember throwing up the shakes

I should be the thinnest person in the world right now
  • Me:
    Weigh Down Workshop
    Weight Watchers
    Optifast
    Slimfast
    Atkins (I still watch my carbs tho for health reasons)
    Cambridge Diet
    Therapy
    Metabolife
    Soup Diet
    Hollywood Diet
    Nutritionist
    Deal-a-Meal (Richard Simmons)
    Self Imposed starvation and exercise
    Prescribed Diet pills (don't remember what they were my parents put me on them when I was younger)

All this never worked cuz I love EATING. I love flavors and textures. Which is why I had the lap-band surgery in December. It's working for me, cuz I can still enjoy my food.
  • Raelynn, I'm with you. Until last January, I really didn't care what I weighed, so I never tried to lose weight.
  • The Body Shop--sponsored through our hospital, a program for overweight kids. I think I still have the book somewhere. I was 9 or 10.

In 6th grade I received a very old Weight Watchers booklet from my counselor. All that weighing & measuring? Too much work for a 12 y/o.

Phentermine. Lost about 70#, gained back 100, am now down 42 from that.

Dietician (exchanges)

Xenadrine (blech--helped me to not eat by making me feel pukey all day, but on speed as well, )
  • Like some of you, I'm sure I can't remember them all!

Weight Watchers (at least 8 times)
    Jenny Craig
    Phen Fen (thankfully only for 2 weeks)
    Carb Addicts
    Overeaters Anonymous
    No wheat, or any kind of sugar for 6 months
    Weigh Down Workshop
    Nutritionist
    Slimfast
    Ediets
  • My favorite diet:
    Bingers Diet, where whatever you can stuff in your face when no one is looking is free calories.
  • weight watchers - atleast 20 times since I was about 13.
    Now doing weight watchers by myself.

That's it
  • It seems like I have always been on some diet. Mostly of my own design. My most succesful (so far) was Dr. Dean Ornish's Eat More Weigh Less. I lost 100 lbs on that but I was starving for 2 years. I have taken all the pills, I have starved myself, I have binged and purged (oh yeah when you quit and your body has to start digesting food you will be so ill!!!!). I have low fat it, low carbed it, cabbage souped it. Bleach. I am doing BFL because Bill looks at it from a whole person giving instead of taking.

Miss Chris
  • I'm with Raelynn and Denise for the most part.

I tried a couple of things but never seriously, like Slim Fast and appetite supressoin pills, never for more than a day or two a piece though.

WW is the only "formal" attempt I've made, and so for me, the success has been fabulous so far, and I feel like this is something I can live with forever, not just until I'm where I want to be.
  • Mostly, I've tried to lose weight through exercise. I've never done any formal program. I know now that exercise is only part of the deal. I have to keep my calories in range in order to lose.
  • wow!!! let's see what i can remember. and folks, this list will show you all just how old i am!!!

ayds, the diet candy
    amphetamines
    thyroid supplements
    stillman
    atkins
    WW [several times]
    richard simmons
    and more but i have to go to sleep now...