Diabetes Chat for April

You're on Page 9 of 14
Go to
  • Back from Walmart. Didn't get to walk quite as long as I wanted because the new speech therapist was coming and DSIL and I decided that I needed to be here to meet her since I'm the one who will be here when he isn't. I wanted to get a BD cake for Haley and Jaxxon and didn't want a big one since only the children will eat it. Richard said he wasn't going to eat any, DH won't and I know I'm not eating cake after having homemade pizza. I need to be buying those cakes at Walmart as they cost a lot less than the grocery store where I usual buy them. Any way picked up the cake with the kids names on it and was surprised that Walmart had 2 meds equivalent to Theraflu... a day time one and a night time. So got one of each and came home and took a dose of the daytime. Haven't checked bs lately because of the meds I've been taking. Actually there were days that I forgot. Since were having carby dinner for the kids, I'm making today's eating more of a Carbohydrate Addicts Reward Meal and have only low carb the rest of the day along with my Intermittent Fasting. (I read that a guy who recommends Intermittent Fasting has changed the name now because people have such a problem with fasting. He now calls it Intermittent Feeding.) Any way, I'm still using IF whatever you call it, but I think until I get over this illness and I get the eating back under control that I will start eating low carb. I just can't let this eating get out of control again. Don't really feel like eating or cooking right now.

Jane - Good job at making good choices when shopping with the girls. I understand about family meals. We don't have family meals together too often even with the kids living with us right now. But when we do have a meal together it usually isn't diet/weight loss friendly. The kids would love for me to eat with them every time they have their family meal, but I just can't eat all that pasta.

Ruth - I agree with the others. I'm sure any gain you may have experienced will be flushed out with your water drinking.

Bonnie, Chipper, Mad and all the others I missed and thoughts coming your way.

Hope everyone is have a great Wednesday.
  • Hey girls. Sorry to not have kept up for a few days. My doctor has taken me off anything with metformin in it and I'm now only on Januvia, plus doing Atkins. Since that shift, my morning numbers have been staying under 115 and daytime numbers have been under 100.

I've had a couple carb indulgences over the last couple days but I immediately pumped weights or did some HIIT and it doesn't seem to have hurt my blood sugar at all. However, I'm definitely not losing weight with the Atkins yet. I think since I was eating fairly low carb before I won't see the big whoosh most see when they first cut carbs.

I'm still eating too many calories. For the week I've been hovering around 1860 calories and that's right about maintenance for me. The scale confirms that. So, cutting carbs is about controlling blood sugar and carb cravings, eating the right fats is about managing hunger. And cutting calories is about losing weight. Exercise helps with blood sugar levels.

Okay, back to work. Have a lovely day!
  • Hi all,

Mad - a big yay for 4 straight days of yoga! I hope you have a loss at weigh-in today.

Rie - thank you for your kind words. I sure was happy to see that you post with this group. I always love reading your post at Age 50+.

Trish - one thing I do when pizza is on the menu for a special occasion is to have a big salad with it, and I try to not eat all the crust. These birthdays and holidays are sometimes hard to deal with.

Ruth - SF gum and surgical gloves are good choices for baking cookies.

Mare - hahaha!! You had me laughing out loud with your description of a macaroni tree!

Georgia - sounds like you've made a good switch with Januvia.

In addition to being prediabetic, I have high cholesterol, and I am trying to control it with diet along with Simvastatin (generic Zocor). So having to eat low sugar and low cholesterol both can be a challenge at times. I've become a careful label reader.

I've been using the Lose It! app on my iPhone, and absolutely love the options, convenience, and ease of that.

TTFN,
  • Well, I faced the scale this morning and it was not pretty. I may send my ticker to Coventry for a while since she likes to lie. Didn't drink much water yesterday but today that WILL happen. Sodium does such a number on me!

Didn't have the Greek salad yesterday for lunch as I ran out of time to make it so just had some cheese and sliced tomatoes and cukes on ryvita. I'll do the salad for lunch today. I did have a great supper - pork tenderloin and veggies on the BBQ which my wonderful neighbour "fixed" for me. I didn't use it all last season and it was strictly "operator error". I can hardly wait to do Beer Can Chicken.

Baking is about to get underway again this morning. No sampling happened. There really is no need to taste when you are using old tried and true recipes.

This weekend will be a challenge as it's Maple Syrup Festival. I am working at the Mill on Saturday which will not be a problem and will be cooking sausages and pancakes on Sunday. The good thing is that I'll be really sick of them by lunch time but there will be a lot of peer pressure to eat pancakes. I wish people would MYOB - I'm old enough to decide what to eat.

Have a happy Thursday and be nice to yourself.
  • Good Morning everyone:
    I have been busy, but not so much with work. The work days have been kinda long, but we are learning a new database/billing system, (new fiscal year just started April 1) and I have been spending half the day on a computer, and I didn't come on line at home in the evenings. Just reading/watching tv, going to bed early instead.
    fbs 5.2 today. I weighed in yesterday and was up a pound, I was not surprised, as the only time I was at the last weight was weigh in day and I was higher all week. But any way, I overate carbs after weigh in. I still havent faced putting it all in the tracker. But I need a kick and much get back on the wagon and eat right again.
    Well friends, I have been reading, and am just catching up, will do personals another time. off to the office.
  • Hello friends!

fbs at 82 this morning and my darn weight is still stable. Trying for patience here. Big week of training at work.

Mad.... per your request: I think they need to invent a smilie for scale throwing. Imagine how popular that would be!

Ruth, your supper sounds lovely. We grill everything that we can. I like the convenience of gas but my ds loves charcoal.

Jane, my dr tells me that bs control also helps with cholesterol numbers. Mine has come way down and I didn't need to start a statin. As you probably know, it also has a huge genetic component. A couple of my thin cousins have had high cholesterol since their early 30's.

Hi Georgia, why are you off the metformin? I had trouble with the combo pill but I do well on Januvia and metformin as meds.

Mare, I love china buffets but I cannot tolerate those other kinds. It reminds me of "hogs at the trough". But, I am a farm girl.

Trish, hope you feel better. I haven't been able to figure out how to eat pizza in moderation so I don't do it. It is hard because ordering pizza is often done at pool tournaments.

Well, gotta go!

Rie
  • Quote: I can hardly wait to do Beer Can Chicken.

The good thing is that I'll be really sick of them by lunch time but there will be a lot of peer pressure to eat pancakes. I wish people would MYOB - I'm old enough to decide what to eat.
    I love beer can chicken. We have a Big Green Egg cooker. They have this contraption that is ceramic that you fill with a fluid. You park the chicken on it and let it cook away on the grill. Then it goes in the dishwasher. Much cleaner than the beer can. Love it!

I wish people would MYOB, too. Lucky for me. I don't like pancakes so I wouldn't have a problem passing by on those. HOWEVER, I love sausage and sausage dipped in maple syrup sounds yummy.
  • When do you take your FBS? I get up and do the face washing moisturizer bathroom stuff and then I take my reading. I don't get dressed for work or spend time doing other stuff to get the blood flowing. Does it make a difference? If I don't do it right away, I forget about it.

It was 120 this morning and I found one of those blasted pounds that I'd successfully lost. I got distracted packing my lunch and I think I forgot to take my pills. So, no metformin, aspirin, water pill and other stupid heart meds. Oh well. At least I won't be having to pee every 15 minutes.
  • Hi all,

Mare - I do my morning fbs right after my bathroom stuff, before breakfast.

Rie - I have many relatives with both high cholesterol and diabetes. Had I kept off my weight when I lost so much several years ago, I probably wouldn't be in this shape (literally, lol) now. But I'm looking forward, not back, and I know I can do the right thing to make those numbers go down. Good luck with the training at work.

Do any of you have a protein/carbohydrate/fat percentage ratio that you try to stay within? The Lose It! app gives me the percentages, but I'm not sure what the ratio should be.

I bought hanging baskets of the most beautifully lush red impatiens today to hang by the front porch. The hummingbirds will love them.

TTFN!
  • Hmm. Plants. I'm the kiss of death for plants. I can grow tomatoes, onions and peppers. That's about it.

My reading this morning was 120 and 92 when I got home from work. We'll see what it is after taco salad tonight.
  • Quickie as this is going to be the most overbooked three days in my year! Meals will be on the fly and will be tricky. Luckily I am stocked up onyogurt and Laughing Cow cheese.

Jane, I try to keep my carbs/fat/pro at 1/1/1. When I cut carbs to much my readings are too low so Atkins isn't for me although I know it would budge some of that fluff that's grown tap roots. Despite the scale being stuck at 179, my BP is excellent, cholesterol is good and my HA1c is 5.8. My doc is delighted and I have been able to reduce the BP meds and the glyburide.

Sorry to dash out, chickies, but I'm off to the gym before I tackle the day.
  • Rie - I found the TV show interesting, but there wasn't a lot I hadn't heard before. I guess I know what I should be doing, but putting it in practice isn't as easy for me as it sounds. It was a plug to buy his whole program and I wouldn't put the money out for information that I can get free. I don't do organic. I figure I've lived to age 66 and it hasn't killed me yet. I do buy at farmers markets when I can, but that's only in the summer months.

Mare - DH is a carboholic. He is healthy and at a good weight. He insists that I can eat carbs like he does without a problem. I try to explain to him that it's my diabetes causing the problem with carbs, but he seems to think that if I ate carbs like he does I wouldn't be diabetic. He just doesn't get it and I have given up trying. I cook for him what he wants and I eat what I am supposed to eat and leave what I'm not supposed to eat. It works for us.
  • Sorry this is a quick flyby, but this has been one busy week and today is no less busy. DSIL was off the last 2 days and I took advantage of it and got out of the house to do something I can't do or choose not to do with the baby. Went and got my nails done for one. The youngest DGD was in a school musical last night so we went to that so went to that. Now that DH is feeling so much better he went with us and now expects me to stay up at night and watch tv with him so not going to bed as early as I should. But I am so thankful to have him back to being himself and feeling so good that I really can't possibly complain. I feel like I got my Hubby back. So I'll gladly adjust.

Today is house cleaning and my turn to do my laundry. Tonight the oldest DGD has a musical play that she is in so we will be going to that. Tomorrow is beauty salon and the ladies monthly brunch at church so I don't see things slowing down until maybe Monday. It is good to get out and especially with DH and family.

The pizza dinner didn't hurt me. In fact, I dropped another lb and it was still off this morning. Can't tell much about my fbs because it still goes all over the place and so far my A1c is always normal however, I am eating low enough carbs now to get rid of that craving for sweets. I know I can have a little dark chocolate without any problems, but never would eat any yesterday. I was so afraid that I would ruin the good work I did yesterday. I can't remember if it was Georgia or who said that greens worked so well for her bs, but I went to the store yesterday and bought a bunch and cooked it and am going to be eating them everyday.

Better run. I hope everyone has a great weekend. I'll get back when I can but it may not be until Monday.
  • Well, well, well. We had our taco salad last night. I think I now know that I CANNOT eat corn chips. We like Frito's in our taco salad. My reading last night was 195. This morning it was down to 165, so caution is the word. I decided to not bring my lunch. I want to go to Fresh Choice and have a nice big salad with all types of goodies in it that I don't keep at home. We'll see what is going to happen.
  • Hey girls. So glad I can come here and rest my weary, drug-heavy head. I've had a couple rough days since going on the Januvia. Really bad cold symptoms, lethargy, still very thick-headed and vertigo, plus a six pound gain in two days from water retention. My hands, feet and ankles are so swollen, like they haven't been for at least four years.

Without talking to my doctor I decided not to take the pill last night. And this morning, my blood sugar was where it has been around where it's been for the last week (111), I lost four pounds and I can bend my fingers and toes again. Plus, the cold symptoms are going away and I don't feel so tired today. The drawback is that after a breakfast of just two hard-cooked eggs, my 2-hour ppgt was back up to 135. Since I had been on the Januvia, it would remain under 120.

I still have Metformin in my system. It'll be another two to four weeks before that goes away. It makes me feel really foggy and the vertigo prevents me from exercising regularly, Rie. My doctor agreed that I stop taking that since it wasn't really doing anything for my blood sugar levels.

I really was feeling so good before all this medication stuff started. I haven't really tested out how well my blood sugar does when I'm eating a very low carb diet, so here's my chance. I'm going to go back to consistent, daily exercise as soon as the vertigo goes away too. And when I get back from my trip in late June, I'll see how I'm doing and revisit this stuff with my doctor. I'm still going to talk to her and let her know where I'm at today.

Mare, I can't do any form of corn. It was a really hard thing to accept and I really miss my tortillas! But I can make a "taco" with romaine lettuce leaves. I can assemble a taco salad with seasoned ground turkey and shredded cheese on the romaine lettuce plus add salsa for the dressing. I still can't figure out how to do a very-low-carb version of tamales. Maybe that's just something I can't have but once a year now.

Trish, it wasn't me! I was just surprised that greens are supposed to help with that. But I am an absolute SLUT for my greens! Gotta have them every day! I just juiced some of mine, parsley and spinach with ginger, garlic, cucumber, celery, lime and an apple. Put me over on my carbs for the day, but it was deliscious! I added just a little salt to the green cocktail. It was spicy and very fresh tasting.

Jane, I'm kinda frustrated with finding the right macronutrient ratio for me. Some diabetes support websites talk about fat being up to 65% for the ketogenic-type diets (30% protein, 5% carbs). When I don't restrict myself, I eat about 60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carbs. I just went to see a weight-loss doctor who puts people on very low carb and very low fat diets and his percentages are 30% fat, 10% carbs, 60% protein, plus he restricts calories to around 1200.

I know that when I cut fats, my appetite goes up. The doctor has patients keep fats really low but he prescribes phentermine to help control appetite. I don't want to go that route at all. I haven't been doing the strict Atkins induction drug-free for long enough to know if it's really working yet. Hoping in the next day or so I can get on top of the constant hunger from the drastic cut in carbs and then start to dial back the fats.

And then lose some real weight!!!