Diabetes Chat for April

You're on Page 4 of 14
Go to
  • Happy Easter Chickees. Happy Sunday to those who don't celebrate Easter. All of you have a great day!!!
  • Does anyone here know anything about agave syrup? My DD tells me it doesn't raise blood sugar like regular sugar.
  • Quote: Does anyone here know anything about agave syrup? My DD tells me it doesn't raise blood sugar like regular sugar.
    have been told the same thing. Lots of people can tolerate honey and maple syrup better (lower glycemic index) and I think agave syrup is like that. However, it still has calories etc. YOu could test your own reaction by doing bs after having some.
  • got through the day ok, somehow. DIdn't have any easter chocolate, but did have a big brunch and big dinner. It was Dad's birthday as well as Easter, so I convinced my sister to show up. All went well. I told Dad later that was my gift to him, since he doesn't need "stuff" and he really appreciates little visits, which she rarely makes. So luring her here was a great gift for him.
    I made a ricotta cake, (low fat ricotta, so far fewer calories than cheesecake) and everyone liked it. Just made a fresh fruit sauce with splenda to pour on it. Went for a nice trail walk with everyone too. weather has been good.
    Took Dad to church this am, nice service, I really like to sing, and the hymns are like old friends from childhood.
    So all round a good day. Am planning another fat fast tomorrow though. I feel there have just been too many "feasts" this week. the fat fast is easier than a complete fast and keeps my sugars pretty even. Tomorrow am dying easter eggs with little Lillia, so looking forward to some quality "auntie" time.
    Happy Easter!
  • Quote: got through the day ok, somehow. DIdn't have any easter chocolate, but did have a big brunch and big dinner. It was Dad's birthday as well as Easter, so I convinced my sister to show up. All went well. I told Dad later that was my gift to him, since he doesn't need "stuff" and he really appreciates little visits, which she rarely makes. So luring her here was a great gift for him.
    I made a ricotta cake, (low fat ricotta, so far fewer calories than cheesecake) and everyone liked it. Just made a fresh fruit sauce with splenda to pour on it. Went for a nice trail walk with everyone too. weather has been good.
    Took Dad to church this am, nice service, I really like to sing, and the hymns are like old friends from childhood.
    So all round a good day. Am planning another fat fast tomorrow though. I feel there have just been too many "feasts" this week. the fat fast is easier than a complete fast and keeps my sugars pretty even. Tomorrow am dying easter eggs with little Lillia, so looking forward to some quality "auntie" time.
    Happy Easter!
    Mad - I love cheesecake, would you post your recipe for the ricotta cake? I would love to try it.

Glad things went so well with your Dad and you could have your sister there with y'all.
  • Well, I just can't leave things well enough alone...tonight I decided to try eating two things I haven't eaten in quite some time. Legumes (or pulses) and cornbread. I made a cannelini and chard soup, which was very low fat and low sodium too. I added some ground turkey to it. Deliscious! I really wanted a bread to go with it. Had received a shipment from King Arthur Flour that included the Hi-Maize high fiber flour, so I used it with some cornmeal and coconut flour to make a gluten free, high fiber cornbread. I didn't put anything to sweeten it and I really liked it. It had crunchy dense texture and was savory and tasty with butter on it. My sons liked it with butter and jam. It would make a tasty cornbread for Thanksgiving or Christmas dressing.

So three and a half hours later, my blood sugar was still at 130. I was too scared to test it earlier. I felt okay, but I know it had to be high. I don't know why I didn't test it at two hours. Well, I do know...I wanted plausible deniability!

I had a lot of fiber today. Over 35 gm. Hope that helps with the fbg in the morning.
  • Good morning and please boot my butt, Chickies. I did well on food but somebody put a solid chocolate bunny on my doorstep when I was at brunch. I gobbled it for lunch - an idiotic thing to do after such a lovely brunch. I guess the sugar devil is still alive and well in me. I wonder if the Malitol candy binge brought back the jerk!

BGL tested above 5 this morning and weight is still up. What the heck did I expect?
  • Ruth, I couldn't find the butt kicker so you get a frypan on the head, instead. Personally, I don't think you should beat yourself up too much, who could resist. I bought some SF chocs for the weekend, but somehow was able to not eat them all in one go.
    this am weight is still miraculously under 170 and fbs was 5.3, up a little bit, but not bad, considering. Too much feasting, still to full after supper and before bed to have a snack, so no doubt there was a bit of glucose dumping going on.
    I will post the ricotta cake on a seperate thread.

Georgia, I expect you could have any one of those things with other food, but overall, it was a pretty high carb meal. You probably aren't ready for that yet. Later on, you may be able to handle it as a single meal, (the rest for that day and the day following being lower carb) . I seem to do better with pulses now too, which is nice, as I really like lentils and beans. I used to be vegan, years ago, and lived on such foods.

hello to all, have a great day, especially if you have today off!
  • Just completed a 2.35 mi run with RunKeeper
    Duration 0:36:57 | Calories Burned 245
    Average Pace 15:42 / mi | Average Speed 3.82 mph | Elevation Climb 96 ft

got it in today. now i have to finish spring cleaning the kitchen. did some on saturday, but, doing it with hubby is a no go. so will finish it up today.
  • Well, I guess we all had carby day yesterday. I will check fbs around 12 or 1pm. I've not been faithful to keeping my feeding window less than 8 hrs so I know that along with the high carbs didn't help with keeping the weight or the fbs down. Back to longer fasts and lower carbing. Got to get rid of the sugar/carby junk food cravings under control. Low carb is the only thing that doesthat for me... may have to do a few days of Atkins to get control. WHATEVER

Well, no indies right now because DGS wants to sit in my lap while watching his show this morning. Things are back to normal this norning and he must have missed our time last week... making up for it now. Not easy typing with one hand. LOL

BBL
  • Oh Ruth! This dastardly bunnies! I saw some at Rocky Mountain Chocolate Factory on Saturday (I have no idea how I got in there!). So cute! Passed on those, but somehow a coconut haystack and some English toffee made it into my bag/purse/mouth. And I know better than to do that, because their chocolate has soy in it and I'm sensitive to that and I paid for it all afternoon with lethargy and aches. When will I learn!

I like the frying pan smiley. I'm going to use that! On my kids!

This morning's fbg was up to 138. I was expecting it to pop up higher after last night's carby dinner. I was disappointed that eating extra fiber didn't help me dodge that bullet.

But I still had to "make sure" the bg numbers were accurate on the bean soup. I love beans so much and have missed them, so I went for a big bowl at lunch, sans cornbread. (So happy my son took that with him for lunch today!) An hour after lunch, my bg was at 116. At two hours it was 133. So, beans are a slow-digesting carb for me. I ate a lot, so I'm happy that I can probably have smaller portions and probably be okay.

Today I've concentrated more on eating every three to four hours. Did great with keeping calories under 300 this morning. But lunch was a double portion. I guess I won't do a late afternoon snack but I will have an early dinner. Really, I want to eat in the afternoons and I could easily put away 800 calories at dinner. It's just how my body wants to eat. I've been trying for nearly a year to change that, but I spend every afternoon with gnawing hunger. Haven't been able to get away from that. Wish I could nap my way through it, but I have too much to do and it just disrupts my sleep schedule.

Suddenly remembering there's English toffee leftover from Saturday. ...leftover English toffee...who ever heard of that!?
  • Georgia: since I live in a farming community, a lot of folks around here prefer a midday dinner and a lighter supper. It think its fine provided you don't fall asleep from too many carbs in the afternoon, (I always have trouble after 3 pm, but its worse with many carbs at lunch) and you don't also eat a full supper in the evening (which I have been quite guilty of in the past).
    If I have a regular lunch, I need a healthy snack by 3 or 330 to keep working.
    My new schedule has me working some longer days, I can no longer be done at 3, so am working at adapting some. Means careful points counting for my snacks.
  • Quick check-in. Weight is still stuck but BGL is fine. I stocked up on produce yesterday and really, really enjoyed a green salad with my omelet last night! (I guess it was more of a Spanish tortilla than an omelet as it had onion and potato in it.) Thinking of a ground turkey meatloaf and more yummy salad tonight.
  • FBS 5.0 today, not bad after a low carb day yesterday and no bedtime snack.
    well, its the "true" start of the week now, I am going to be helping out at the office today for other midwives. "short" weeks always make it hard to get all the clients seen in good time.
    I will plan yoga this evening if all goes well.
    Ruth, the meatloaf sounds good. DH and I voted for a bit of ham tonight. I think the salad greens and other fresh foods are getting better quality again as the weather gets better, even if the foods are often imported.
    Its cold here today, might even see a bit of snow tonight.
    hope it is more springlike for everyone else. ttfn
  • Turkey Meatloaf
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/entr...ml#post4286071