The Maintainers Vol 5

You're on Page 8 of 35
Go to
  • Quote: Paint Lady I couldn't do it! I couldn't go a week without getting on the scale. I'm kind of glad I did, though, because I definitely need another P1 day to recover from my weekend. I think it may also be TOM. Since I am too weak to stay off the scale, I am going to play a new game with myself. Before I get on the scale, I will make an honest guess at my weight. Today my guess was 2 lbs under my actual weight. Maybe if I practice I will eventually get the feel for my my actual weight?
    LOL! I still haven't weighed myself, but it's only been since Sunday, which was my cheat day. I am leaving tomorrow to fly to Pennsylvania for my SIL's surprise birthday weekend. I'm sure the weekend will be filled with food and alcoholic beverages. I haven't really consumed any alcohol since IP, so I will have to pace myself. I may have to do a whole week of phase 1 when I get back. I'm not going to worry about it now. If it happens, it happens. I've never even been to there house, so I'm going to make the most of it, and enjoy myself this weekend. Next week, I will do what I have to do to correct it. I need to go and buy a couple of tops to wear while I'm there. My closet is still very sparse and it sounds like it's going to be chilly up there this weekend, well, cooler than what I'm used to down here. I'll be hitting up the sales racks today, where all good long-sleeves are this time in Louisiana.
  • Hey everyone, So when does the first "fun" day happen? Can it be the first day of maintenance or is it during the first week? It's odd because the stuff I wanted I no longer want... it's simply amazing how our tastes have changed! BUT for my first one I will try what I think I want...I think?!?!?! I just am curious as to when I can have it.. TY!
  • Quote: Hey everyone, So when does the first "fun" day happen? Can it be the first day of maintenance or is it during the first week? It's odd because the stuff I wanted I no longer want... it's simply amazing how our tastes have changed! BUT for my first one I will try what I think I want...I think?!?!?! I just am curious as to when I can have it.. TY!
    You can have it whenever you like, it isn't specified...Most wait a week before having it but I don't think it really matters as long as you have your phase 1 day afterwards. Enjoy!
  • Quote: You can have it whenever you like, it isn't specified...Most wait a week before having it but I don't think it really matters as long as you have your phase 1 day afterwards. Enjoy!
    That's great! Thank you! I hope I can stick out a full two weeks of P3...Can it be shortened at all???
  • I was told no, 2 full weeks to get your pancreas working again.
  • I got a recipe from my coach and thought it was odd, but I just tried it. Holy cow!!!

Cauliflower Crust Pizza (adapted from "Your Lighter Side")
    2 servings

1 cup cooked, riced cauliflower
    1 cup shredded mozzarella
    1 egg, beaten
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1/2 tsp crushed garlic
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    olive oil (optional)

pizza sauce, more shredded cheese and toppings

Directions:
    Rice the cauliflower by processing it or using a grater - not so fine that it turns into mush. Cook in the microwave, no water added - doesn't need it. They did a whole head of cauliflower and cooked for 8 minutes on high. You only need 1 cup per pizza, so save the rest.

Crust:
    Preheat oven to 450F. Spray a cookie sheet with oil.

Beat the egg, add the spices, mozzarella and cauliflower and blend.

Put it on the cookie sheet and spread out with your hands to make about 9" round, or as thin/thick as you like it. You can brush with olive oil to encourage browning.

Bake 15 minutes.

Remove, add sauce, pre-cooked toppings and more cheese. Place under a broiler to melt the cheese.

--------

I used fat-free mozarella so that I could add parmesan on top for my lunch fat. Didn't brush with olive oil, but did a quick spray with Pam. I had some hot italian turkey sausage so that, and the egg, was my protein. Used some sauteed mushrooms, green peppers and green onions and pizza sauce for the toppings and a little more fat-free mozza and parmesan on top, popped it back in the 450F (instead of the broiler) for a few minutes. then put gobs of fresh basil on it. It's not the kind of crust you can just pick up in your hands and eat, but it really is good. I was so excited I ate the whole thing before noticing it was marked as 2 servings. Oops. Will have to calculate the carbs in the cheese, because that's the only thing that might have taken me over limits. The fats I used were fine and vegees are unlimited.

I'm going to try making it with just an egg white and adding some soy powder and spices to see if I can make a thin cracker for a snack.

Who'd a thunk vegees could be so good????
  • I completely forgot it was Wednesday and didn't go weigh in today. At home I am the same. Which is great since I did eat more than usual on the weekend (and drink).
    If dh wasnt on phase 1 I would revert back to my 5 strict days and 2 flex days. My body seems to like this weight.
  • I have had an exhausting two days with hubby's surgery. First was a half day pre op clinic. We knew the tumor in his lung was growing quickly and he would have to have the lower lobe of his right lung removed. At the pre op he also had to sign to have the middle lobe removed if necessary. We also found out that they really couldn't see clearly from the scan if the tumor had gone to his spine as it was along side it.
    So a very scary lot of info.
    Yesterday was the surgery, It seemed to be going on so long. He went into the OR at 1pm and didn't come out till 6. I was getting terrified but our daughter is an OR nurse at the same hospital and was able to get updates from the OR and calm me down.
    It came out that it was fantastic news. They removed the lower lobe and nothing else had been impacted.
    Such a relief.He was already up and walking today although still hooked up to a bunch of things.

But for the IP connection. I was surprised to find going back to phase 1 for this week was a Godsend. I just packed up my stuff and took it with me which eliminated making any food choices under stress. It meant one less thing to worry about and that sure made a difference.
    I think I likely got the 3 pounds off that I gained while tipping my toe into phase 3 but I didn't even think to weigh myself while all this was going on.
    Once he is home I will have to rethink phase 3 and tweak a few things and give it another shot. But I would really like to see that stupid apple get to the end of the pencil first but it hasn't moved in two months. So I guess I am maintaining already.
    Pat

Pat
  • Quote: I have had an exhausting two days with hubby's surgery. First was a half day pre op clinic. We knew the tumor in his lung was growing quickly and he would have to have the lower lobe of his right lung removed. At the pre op he also had to sign to have the middle lobe removed if necessary. We also found out that they really couldn't see clearly from the scan if the tumor had gone to his spine as it was along side it.
    So a very scary lot of info.
    Yesterday was the surgery, It seemed to be going on so long. He went into the OR at 1pm and didn't come out till 6. I was getting terrified but our daughter is an OR nurse at the same hospital and was able to get updates from the OR and calm me down.
    It came out that it was fantastic news. They removed the lower lobe and nothing else had been impacted.
    Such a relief.He was already up and walking today although still hooked up to a bunch of things.

But for the IP connection. I was surprised to find going back to phase 1 for this week was a Godsend. I just packed up my stuff and took it with me which eliminated making any food choices under stress. It meant one less thing to worry about and that sure made a difference.
    I think I likely got the 3 pounds off that I gained while tipping my toe into phase 3 but I didn't even think to weigh myself while all this was going on.
    Once he is home I will have to rethink phase 3 and tweak a few things and give it another shot. But I would really like to see that stupid apple get to the end of the pencil first but it hasn't moved in two months. So I guess I am maintaining already.
    Pat

Pat
    That's great news about your husband!!!

I agree that the Phase 1 is a really helpful tool for us to get back into the mindset of control, even in stress. I pushed myself beyond limits yesterday and after accidently screwing up a little at lunch, I was kinda crazy before dinner and ate way too many nuts again. So, today I am in Phase 1 land and will take the opportunity to once again, evaluate my head and how I can reach the state of enjoying life again, not obsessing over every bite, yet maintain a control that will be sustaining. Not asking much, is it?

I'm truly happy for you and wish you the best day ever!
  • Pat, that's great news about your husband's surgery. Sounds like he's on the right path to recovering.
    I am flying out at noon today. Both of my children were sad this morning. They aren't used to Mom being gone. My Dad and my sister are teaming up to take care of them and shuffle them around to all of the places they need to be. I scored well at Loft yesterday. Nice sale. I bought two pairs of colored skinny jeans and 4 shirts for $112.
  • Patns- that is great news about your husband! I'm so happy for you that everything turned out so well. Good for you for seeing Phase 1 as a positive thing and explaining it so well. You are very right that when we are facing stress we will often make poor choices as we are not in possession of our best judgement. Having Phase 1 does eliminate the need for decision making- wise of you to have the foresight for that...
    Hope that your second stab at Phase 3 goes much better- you'll have to keep us posted!
    paintlady- have a great weekend away! It is tough leaving the little ones when you are so used to being each other's constants but it is amazing how sometimes even a few days apart can renew appreciation on both sides. Love finding what I'm looking for on sale- it's like a double reward!
    SewMam- regaining your equilibrium after a slip is by far one of the most positive aspects of IP maintenance. A slip by no means has to turn into a landslide (as I have found they can be wont to do) as there is a definitive plan of action to control the clean up. If you are really craving nuts is it because you are a) genuinely hungry? This can happen when there is too much space in between eating. Are you having breakfast, midmorning snack, lunch, midafternoon snack, dinner? Are you still having your 2 cups of vegetables at lunch & supper- these will make a huge difference satiety. It can be especially helpful to have a salad with protein AND your 2 cups of veggies at lunch because this will really abate that 3-4 pm low blood sugar. Or use the 2 cups of veggies as the mid afternoon snack with hummus
    OR
    are you craving nuts because you are deficient in your diet for something the nuts can provide nutrient wise? (fat, fiber, vitamin b, protein etc)
    If you're already spacing your meals well and including all your veggies I would look at the second option.
    I don't know if you eat hard boiled eggs but they are far and away the best option for a snack. Very portable, high in protein, extremely filling.
    Sometimes nuts are very tasty but not very satisfying and can be better used as an accompaniment than on their own.
    Hope this can help...
    Mom2cs- I was reading Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Stripped the last 10 pounds yesterday. No dairy. Lean meat/ protein 5x day. Complex Carbs such as fruits/ veggies 5x day. Starchy carbs banana/ oatmeal 2x day. Fats 2x day peanut butter/oils. 28 day commitment. I have an extra copy of this book coming.
    Here is what I found amusing. Reading along and she says 'you might not be a slim size six yet but...'. You and I are both a six. We are both tall. I know you must be very toned from the exercise. Jackie Warner's book said not to focus on imperfections because 'the power of thought' would make them bigger. Trying to say that I think you're right in accepting where your body wants to be for now... I love a challenge too, though, definitely keeps the diet killer 'boredom' at bay How much longer does dh have on Phase 1?
    2ride- funny that you were looking at the same book and that we were both doing Phase 1 the same week. Us Edmontonians are in sync! Jackie's book really spoke to me. No Sugar + Clean Eating (90% of the time)+ 2 meals on the weekends where I limit myself but indulge. Sounds like a maintenance plan for me. I finished my week of Phase 1 yesterday. Today I am moving into Phase 3. Even re-read the Phase 3 pdf (and Phase 4 for that matter). I am doing a clean eating Phase 3. So I am giving up the bars/ sugar alcohols/ packets for it. After the two weeks of Phase 3 is over I plan on moving into Warner's plan for maintenance and seeing where that takes me. The biggest differences between the two that I can see are she recommends having carbs at lunch not at dinner and there is no Phase 1 day, but there is no free day either- just the two meals up to 1500 cals. No idea if that will work for me weight wise but I'm darn willing to give it a try if it will stop the binge cycle free day. And I think I need to be strict during the week. Whether it's IP Phase 4 or Warner's 1500 cal eat clean. There's a bit more structure to Warner's which I think might help from me 'detouring'.
    Maile- thank you for your support. What were your findings on soy in regards to the thyroid?
    I think you have taken a very wise approach to maintenance and I really admire how stable you've been able to keep your weight. I hope to follow in your footsteps with the sugar elimination. I am sure this will keep me on a more even keel.
    Have you ever read or heard of 'Sugar Blues' by Will Dufty?
    bigpassport- has the scale returned to 'normal'? And are you following typical Phase 4 protocol or have you tweaked it this time around?
    NewEnglander- we get to be in Phase 3 together! What did you have for breakfast this morning? I had my free day the first day of Phase 4. It happened that way because I'd had a girls weekend planned for months so there was a push to ensure that I'd be out of Phase 3 in time for it. Thankfully I was but just barely . I was terribly afraid to eat 'forbidden' things. The thing is your mind comes up with all these wonderful things it wants but then when faced with actually eating them after months of having told yourself no, absolutely not, you really do almost feel like you're doing something illicit. Definitely do the two weeks of Phase 3 though. It's vital for setting your eating patterns and insulin levels.
  • NewEnglander- we get to be in Phase 3 together! What did you have for breakfast this morning? I had my free day the first day of Phase 4. It happened that way because I'd had a girls weekend planned for months so there was a push to ensure that I'd be out of Phase 3 in time for it. Thankfully I was but just barely . I was terribly afraid to eat 'forbidden' things. The thing is your mind comes up with all these wonderful things it wants but then when faced with actually eating them after months of having told yourself no, absolutely not, you really do almost feel like you're doing something illicit. Definitely do the two weeks of Phase 3 though. It's vital for setting your eating patterns and insulin levels.

Hi capricious, Nice! I'm having peanut butter and banana on whole wheat and a slice of low fat swiss! YUM! and you? What happens if I slip and have chocolate? Will I mess up setting up my eating patterns and insulin levels??? (Because I did mess up...first time since beginning IP). I was faithfully 100% OP until today... now what?
  • Quote: NewEnglander- we get to be in Phase 3 together! What did you have for breakfast this morning? I had my free day the first day of Phase 4. It happened that way because I'd had a girls weekend planned for months so there was a push to ensure that I'd be out of Phase 3 in time for it. Thankfully I was but just barely . I was terribly afraid to eat 'forbidden' things. The thing is your mind comes up with all these wonderful things it wants but then when faced with actually eating them after months of having told yourself no, absolutely not, you really do almost feel like you're doing something illicit. Definitely do the two weeks of Phase 3 though. It's vital for setting your eating patterns and insulin levels.

Hi capricious, Nice! I'm having peanut butter and banana on whole wheat and a slice of low fat swiss! YUM! and you? What happens if I slip and have chocolate? Will I mess up setting up my eating patterns and insulin levels??? (Because I did mess up...first time since beginning IP). I was faithfully 100% OP until today... now what?
    Awww, peanut butter and banana was one of my favorite comfort foods. I remember days when things were just, well you know, and in the evening I would have a PB and nana samich and all was well.
  • [QUOTE=patns;4290002]I have had an exhausting two days with hubby's surgery. First was a half day pre op clinic. We knew the tumor in his lung was growing quickly and he would have to have the lower lobe of his right lung removed. At the pre op he also had to sign to have the middle lobe removed if necessary. We also found out that they really couldn't see clearly

Pat I am so happy for you and your husband. Thank goodness as that was scary. Great news. I am glad you have Phase 1 to keep in control under such stress.
  • Quote: SewMam- regaining your equilibrium after a slip is by far one of the most positive aspects of IP maintenance. A slip by no means has to turn into a landslide (as I have found they can be wont to do) as there is a definitive plan of action to control the clean up. If you are really craving nuts is it because you are a) genuinely hungry? This can happen when there is too much space in between eating. Are you having breakfast, midmorning snack, lunch, midafternoon snack, dinner? Are you still having your 2 cups of vegetables at lunch & supper- these will make a huge difference satiety. It can be especially helpful to have a salad with protein AND your 2 cups of veggies at lunch because this will really abate that 3-4 pm low blood sugar. Or use the 2 cups of veggies as the mid afternoon snack with hummus
    OR
    are you craving nuts because you are deficient in your diet for something the nuts can provide nutrient wise? (fat, fiber, vitamin b, protein etc)
    If you're already spacing your meals well and including all your veggies I would look at the second option.
    I don't know if you eat hard boiled eggs but they are far and away the best option for a snack. Very portable, high in protein, extremely filling.
    Sometimes nuts are very tasty but not very satisfying and can be better used as an accompaniment than on their own.
    Hope this can help...
    Wow, thank you so much! You are so generous with your time, I really appreciate it! I am dealing with the emotional eating that got me in trouble in the first place. Having chronic pain and fatigue, I have to literally push myself to do anything, and I'm trying to get my house fixed up so that I can sell it and simplify my life. I decided that what limited energy I have is better spent in a studio apartment focusing on my art and music than maintaining a house.

So I've been pushing myself as hard as I can lately, or I'd get nothing done. My weakest times are when I've gotten to the limits of endurance, usually at the end of the day, and I'm shakey and rather nuts. I'm eating tons of vegees, but still find that within 3 hours of eating I'm getting the shakes again, so I've been trying to invent protein based snacks to get me through, and was doing pretty good at that. What I should have done yesterday, was after working in the yard, I knew I was at my breaking point but went and got groceries instead of stopping and making dinner early, or even a decent snack. Because I had so much at lunch, I was trying to avoid an afternoon snack, and stressed about it all, and I wasn't sure I could even cook dinner without something first, so I started eating the nuts and that ended up being my dinner. I had to do some shopping this morning and forgot to take an IP bar, got the shakes by 10 and wasn't done with my errands yet, but this time, I got some turkey lunchmeat to tide me over until I could get home and have my vegees. It worked. I am determined to figure this out....

You know, I love hummus and have some in the refrigerator, but wasn't sure when it was legal to have it, because it has carbs, albeit good ones, and fat.

Thanks again for your thoughtful comments and suggestions. I just made a great spinach smoothie and that may become my go-to snack, with soy protein powder added for the no-carb protein boost.