Ow, my poor ribs!!!

• I hopped back onto the calorie counting/working out train last week, and have been doing pretty well so far. Last night I went to the gym, which is in the same complex, but across the lot, from Von's. Did my workout then remembered I had to go buy some veggies for lunch, and I figured I'd jog across the parking lot rather than driving the 20 seconds it would take to get there.

Got to Von's okay, got my veggies, then found a whole bunch of other things on sale - whole chickens! Club soda! Wheat crackers! Cheese! (AKA: heavy stuff!!) Loaded up my cart, checked out - 12 bags later! - then started wheeling my cart back to my car.

Cue 15 car lengths to go. SCREECH!!!! Cart jerks to a COMPLETE halt, and refuses to budge even an inch. Apparently Von's recently implemented that awesome limited cart zone, whereby the wheels lock up the second it hits the boundary a certain distance from the store. Wish I'd known that since I was leaning quite comfortably over the cart handle and pretty much jammed it full-speed into my ribs!! Clear knocked the wind out of me!!!
  • that sucks .... our supermarket does the same thing with the cart locks ... im suprised i still have a toe left ..... i stub my toe almost evreytime i leave the supermarket .... in the summer when im wearing open toed shoes im cursing !!! lolz
  • How do they cause the lock? I've never heard of that before.

Hope you're feeling better! Did you manage to lug all your groceries to the car?
  • jitterfish i have NO IDEA how they do it i think its some sort of sourcery ?

no lol but seriously it seems once i get to a certain point in the parking lot the cart wheel comes to a dead stop its next to impossible to continue rolling it .... i will google it to see if it comes up because im baffled by how they do that
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoppin...eft_prevention

lo and behold there it is under the subheading electronic and magnetic ... it seems a thin wire is implemented around the perimeter of the store and when the wheel is rolled over it a boot is then put into affect to stop it from continuing to roll

i live in brooklyn im not too suprised we have those things lol people steal grocery carts around here ... idk what they will do with it .. but yeah lolz i guess the cost of implementing such a device is cheaper than replacing all the missing carts year after year lol
  • It's silly annoying but makes total sense lol. I'm jus used to them actually having warnings on the end of the carts, this one was completely unexpected!! I had to run back and forth from the cart to the car like a crazy person but yes I finally got everything there. So much for my first attempt at putting the whole "walk a little further - park at the end of the parking lot" theory into practice!
  • I guess it's like "invisible fence" for shopping carts. I'm sure it's way more cost efficient than replacing carts. I've never heard of it before this. It's interesting.

Lin
  • That would drive me crazy, since I intentionally park at the back of the lot so I get more exercise. I'm glad they have found a way to stop cart theft (they're expensive to replace!) but perhaps they could make the field a wee bit wider?
  • Sorry about your ribs. Also wanna say....I wish they had that here. We live across the street from a grocery store and the people here bring home carts all the time. I hate seeing three or 4 piled up in front of someone's door. I mean can't they take it back the next time?