Quinoa Flakes question

• I bought the cookbook, THE SOUTH BEACH DIET Super Quick Cookbook. There is a yummy recipe for lemon raspberry muffins. I cannot find quinoa flakes! I've seen a lot of quinoa but not the flakes! Can I substitute another kind of flour? It already calls for 1 cup of whole wheat flour. I need a cup of something if I can't find the quinoa flakes. HELP! I'm driving myself crazy looking for this stuff! I've been to every grocery store in my area including a food co-op, health food store.

Thanks in advance!
  • Gail!

I've only found the flakes a few times. My best guess is rolled oats, and this website agrees: http://www.foodsubs.com/Grainoth.html

Good luck!
  • Thank you soooooo much! I'll let you know how the muffins turn out.
  • How about Brown Rice Flour? That is a question, is that SB friendly?
  • brown rice flour is allowed but probably wouldn't be a good substitution for flakes. The flakes are more like oatmeal in texture. I have tried quinoa flour too, that was a little hard to work with though, IMO
  • If you don't want to give up on the quinoa flakes you can get them here: Ancient Harvest Quinoa Flakes

I usually get mine at a local health food store but I've ordered them when I didn't want to wait for the next shipment. I dont care for them as a breakfast cereal, but I use them instead of flour in several recipes.