Does your period affect weight loss?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I always show a slight gain a few days before I'm about to start and then as soon as I start I have a whoosh, if I've been good and drink all my water. Like last Thursday I stepped on the scale and it was almost 212. Today I got on and I was at 208.
  • Thanks for the replies

I'll keep my calories the same but I'm not exercising for the first 2 days. I haven't gained weight but I'm losing at a slower rate I can't wait for my cycle to be over!
  • UGH yes. Not the actual number. Somehow that stays the same. But the water BLOAT that suddenly appears out of nowhere drives me up the wall! Logically I know it's just water weight and that it always goes away the next week, but it's so annoying I'm also EXTRA THIRSTY and could literally drink gallons of water. UGH.

I've noticed that the first day is obvious water weight, but then it seems to die down around day two, and then BAM day four brings it all back and I bloat up again! Then it slowly goes away until about a week after my period has ended and I notice a weight loss (if any took place). Yay for the ONE week out of the month I get to be 100% normal. I hate being female sometime for this reason. It's gross.

I also get extra hungry the week before. I eat intuitively so I follow my body's signals. It needs more energy for a reason. Usually when my actual period starts my appetite is DEAD anyway. Between the cramps, bloating, and fatigue, I can't be bothered with food that much the first two days.
  • in TOM, your weight may increase slightly or vice versa .. depending on everyone but what is important is to keep your diet.

"The menstrual cycle isn't the cause of weight changes, it's just a bystander," explains Arias. The menstrual cycle does not directly impact weight loss or gain, but there may be some secondary connections.