Beck Diet For Life/Solution – March 2012 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 2 of 14
Go to
  • Hello Everyone,

Sending thoughts to all affected by the tornados. Hope everyone is safe.

Had a good couple days if I don't take into account the chocolate chips, ate way too many on Thursday night and had a bad stomach ache, did not have any last night just one square of the dark chocolate. And I got rid of the rest of the chocolate chips today as they made their way into a bowl of chocolate chip cookies that I made. Am taking some to a party tonight and the rest are for the boys in my house. At least I'm not as tempted by the cookies!

Read my cards yesterday, weighed both days and down some again. Almost back to ticker weight! I'm eating slowly and mindfully, I decided at work this last week to eat my lunch in the kitchen away from my desk. It has been a nice break and I'm usually alone so it's some nice quiet time. It's a habit I plan to continue.

BBE Good job on the boot camp class, I can totally relate. I found that the time seemed to go by pretty quickly which helped.

Time to take cookies out of the oven, hi to everyone else . I'm off to sit in the backyard and read, it's about 15C (60F) here today, can get some of my tan back.
  • Windy Cold Saturday In March
    Coaches

I've been recuperating after my travels. I slept most of yesterday and spent today worrying about the two cats meeting, then having them meet face to face and there wasn't any trouble: no hissing, no yowling, no scratching nothing. They touched noses twice when I first opened the door to the new cat's room so they could see each other, and thne, since they were so calm and friendly we opened it all the way and they were ok. Again they touched noses later in the day when the new cat wandered out into the living room. They've now groomed in each other's presence and slept in each other's presence and eaten from each other's food bowl. *I* am the one messed up, waiting for the other shoe to drop. I've done a small amount of stress-eating today but got back on track and actually tracked my food for the first time since the 29th. I am startng to wonder how to continue what I started there in my residency here in my home.

So that's it for tonight. I did have a hoped-for nsv. While at the airport I ditched my jeans in a garbage bin instead of putting them on and carrying them around with me. I was so stressed out. I knew I had that one last pair of jeans at home that I bought for $3 at the big sale at the 2nd hand store that were tight even in the calves when I got them. I was able to wear them out today. They fit at the waist/hips, thighs and calves, but are super uncomfortable low rise jeans. They are tight in the leg but they do fit. So, CREDIT for this and for tracking my food today and for using the resistance muscle.

Still pretty tired. I'm off to bed.
  • Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

It was an extremely busy day at work and when I noticed I was "thinking" of what to eat I pulled out my new Sumo Mandarin and peeled it. I shared a slice with a coworker. Later, I enjoyed my substitute sammie, almond butter and SF marmalade mixed together...spread on a toasted sprouted grain bun. My coworkers are still amazed I bring my own lunch. I've weighed this morning and am going down to decorate the healthy BD cake I made last eve. It's party day here. We're having a healthy new margharita lasagna I found at Costco (yes I did taste ), salad and cake. Simple.

BBE, is your boot camp in the weight room? I've never been to one.

onebyone, glad you returned safe and that your new family is getting along. Great nsv and kudos for jumping right back on plan.

Tazzy, kudos for getting rid of the chocolate chips!
  • Sunday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Eating was 100%, CREDIT moi, including skipping my evening snack since we were out again. In the recent past, when I returned from being out, I had my evening snack regardless of the time - not rational eating even if I could say it was planned. At lunch, I made a point to avoid licking the knife with peanut butter since I've developed that habit and have found that I can come to have a goodly wad of the stuff in need of being licked. An obvious form of overeating is to take in a whole quart of ice cream, but a long term deadly form is to skip the little Beck steps to pick up a hundred calories here and another hundred there.

Exercise was my long walk, CREDIT moi, when the weather finally took a break from a slow drizzle. I planned to walk past Whole Foods and Trader Joe's without going in since my only reason would be to have samples - extra CREDIT moi for that plan and execution. I'm still feeling the "Boot Camp" in some muscles in my legs that, apparently, haven't been worked out lately; that's a good thing.

onebyone – Yay for your cats working it out. (How did your valiumed kitty survive on the flight?) Congrats for a $3 pair of jeans that can be worn. LOL at ditching jeans at the airport.

Debbie (Lexxiss) – Happy Birthday!!! May you have 39 more and 39 more again.

Kudos for continuing to bring your own food to a restaurant. There's many a post on 3FC from folks who are having trouble losing weight while they take advantage of free (or cheap) food prepared where they work. [Boot Camp was in the standard room for classes - along with mats, the walls are lined with racks of low weight dumbbells, barbells with weights, and steps of adjustable height.]

Tazzy - Yay for chocolate chips going away. One square of good dark chocolate is good for the head and the body.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
    challenging situations skills
    Before the Event
    General Plan for Eating Out
    Hors d'oeuvres or appetizer: None, unless there are raw vegetables (without dip)

Soup or Salad: Make sure soup is a clear broth or consommι. (Most vegetable soups you are served will have too many calories.) If you prefer salad, make sure it resembles your basic daily salad and ask for dressing on the side. If there are extra ingredients (croutons, nuts, seeds, cheese, etc.) push them to the side so you won't eat them.
    . . .
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 134.
  • Good Morning. Coaches.

Big day yesterday. DS had a basketball game and a piano adjudication plus theory test - all an hour of driving apart. I worry about him too much. I am very much the momma bear. When he came out of his performance piece with the judge ( I am not allow in) he was not feeling great about himself. He dropped a few lines the judge had mentioned and I wanted to leap over the hedge, break down the door and give her a piece of my mind (HMMMMM) Credit I did not do that. Believe me, in my family of origin where crazy happened all the time, I deserve credit. Instead, I took my cues from him. He was quiet for awhile. Read a little and was back talking about other things within 15 mins. Then he had to go to the test took twice as long as everyone else because he is meticulous. He told us later at sushi that in the middle of the test he almost started to cry because it was hard and he was frustrated and didn't want to be so careful. My heart broke. All of this is too much for one poor mom in one day. The truth is, though, that he is not so little anymore. He is in fourth grade. He didn't give up even though it was tough. He snapped back to joy within an hour or two and was looking forward to camping in the basement with DH.

There is a lot I can learn from that kid. Things I never learned. Things I ate over. I even want to eat over them when it is HIM. Tracked all my food though and except for lurking cookie dough did well. I tracked the cookie dough and am still OP.

Today I have yoga which I don't want to go to but will. Then Fmaily swim day at the club. DS is itching to try a water squirting shark he got for a present. I feel I might be a target.

BBE: I love classes that challenge. I d lots of classes for the very reason you stated. It forces me to grow.
    Lexxiss: Terrific about your new plans and your strength at work. I am trying a new "kitchen sink" smoothie with my juicer today. Sweet potato, greens, oranges, etc...
    beverleyjoy: Recovery takes a long time. Be careful with yourself.
    Tazzy: I'll make the cookie dough to keep the chips away from you but you keep the dough from me.
  • Coaches
    Off on travels again today. Man will this ever stop? Today it's New Orleans, one of my favorites cities, but also a food deathtrap. So I need to stick to seafood with cajun seasonings without a lot of sauces, etc.

Have to report that I am finally clawing my way down the scale after DOM (death of mom). I am noticing when I am eating when I am starting to get full and also I am beginning to be willing to eat smaller meals...

One of the things that has helped me is not drinking. Unneeded calories...
    Flight about to be called. Will catch up with personals soon.
  • Happy Birthday Debbie!!

Hey Coaches! I'm sorry, I'm getting read for my first 40 day yoga challenge meeting/class this evening. The communication hasn't been spectacular and evidently there's a book I need to get started reading... so that's what I'm doing There's a nutrition piece to this too which will be fascinating to see unfold.

Best and will try to get caught up. Nameste
  • Monday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Two big one for me: First, I left food on my plate at the restaurant last night, CREDIT moi, eating less than anyone else at the table. And only had a small portion of the naan - which I've been known to over indulge - including sending the leftover with a friend so I wouldn't get into it today.

Second, I needed to walk (CREDIT moi) to Trader Joe's for some pecans for my favorite peanut butter, banana, pecan, toasted bread end sandwich. Seems that I've been declaring nearly every sample that Trader Joe's puts out as rare or unusual which is allowed on my plan. Once I see the sample, I'm sucked in. So I had this brilliant idea - I planned to walk directly to the pecans and then to the checkout. Voila! No FREE samples, CREDIT moi. I won't be able to do it that way every visit, but my resistance muscle needs a little boost right now.

maryann - That's a pretty special young guy to rebound so quickly - and to do so without eating over it. A good omen for making it through middle school when the challenges increase. And Kudos to you for not eating over his travails.

Donamari (fyreflie24) – Yay for a new challenge - will you do yoga every day for forty days?

maplover – Good luck in New Orleans - a city that knows food. I can't escape there without one of their fried shrimp po' boys. And watch out for the pralines, LOL.

Readers -
    Quote:
    chapter 6 Stage 3 The Challenging Situations Plan
    challenging situations skills
    Before the Event
    General Plan for Eating Out
    . . .
    Main course: Plain protein, steamed vegetables, and one grain; ask for no sauce or sauce on the side and use minimally.

Dessert: none

Bonus and Special Event Calories: Decide in advance whether to use these calories, and, if so, how. (For example, you might have a glass of wine; a small piece of bread with butter; a small dessert; or an extra protein, grain, sauce, or dressing.)
    Judith S. Beck, Ph.D., The Complete Beck Diet for Life (Green book), pg 134.
  • Hi Coaches/Buddies/Friends!

Thanks for the birthday wishes! Food was right on yesterday until I had extra cake last night. *credit* for choosing the one I made because I knew the ingredients, instead of the WF mystery carrot cake, which I'm certain had refined sugar and butter (ingredients not in mine).

I'm on the run this morning....didn't weigh but I have packed my Sumo mandarin, muffin, PB&j and some left over salad. credit.

BBE, walking straight to your pecans is such a success technique! credit Congrats to the Celtics yesterday!

maplover, I've never been to NE...can only imagine.

MaryAnn, great job not letting your feelings affect DS!

Donamarie, I'm so intrigued by your yoga/food/40 days.

Work calls.....
  • HI... am checking in. Having great fun with my GS. I got to blow out candles on the bday brownies he made for me. Such fun... I am declaring that even adults must do this every year too!

I did have some birthday brownies... I am done with those. I got myself a small memo pad for my purse to keep track of what I am eating.

I have limited time on the computer. Hope you all are safe and doing well.
  • Maplover: Best getting back in the saddle. Good for you for jumping back in. Best in your travels and getting settled in.

Maryann: I love your dedication to teaching! I love teaching and hope to be able to return to it someday. I’m working very hard on quiet and stillness as part of this yoga program; it’s amazing what it can do! Sounds like your son did really well! I faced some fears and resistance and bounced back! I want that so much for my kids. My oldest is struggling with that so kudos that your 4th grader did so well. It’s all a learning experience. It’s amazing how they teach us huh? Ah the beauty of yoga; when you don’t want to go is when you need to go the most Or so they say.

Tazzy: Ah yes, the dark chocolate trick. Know it well

BeverlyJoy: Have confidence friend, I’m hearing that soo important! My husband bought me a ring that says ‘believe’ for that very reason. Be gentile and kind with yourself and keep your goals in mind; that’s what helps me. I look at the food and try to remind myself that certain foods will keep me from my goals, from being healthy. Best to you!

gardnerjoy: I totally understand! My nutritionist told me I haven’t lost any muscle (evidently with a significant weight loss especially, you lose one pound of muscle for every 3 lbs of fat. She calls it ‘free muscle’; muscle we needed to move the extra mass) which means I’d lost 3-4 lbs that won’t show up on the scale. It’s possible you’re exchanging as well. You are also tall!! Have you done measurements as well? Body fat analysis? Best reaching your goal!

Lexxiss: Paid to exercise! Love it! New TV sounds awesome Awesome observations and strategies!!! I love being empowered! It’s kinda addictive

Isn’t it interesting when our bodies revolt? It’s a potent reminder of what they really want.

onebyone: awww kitties OH yay new jeans! Doesn't matter if they’re tight, only matter that they’re ON!

Bill: Well I do have a day off but I can also do a restorative or stretch class. Some days I have to go to class so I can move! I feel less sore after class, bizarre but true.

So 40 days starts today! I actually feel pretty good as I'm about 10 days in. It's quite the process. This week's theme is mindfulness and I have to start a meditation practice. Will keep you all posted!
  • Hi Everyone,

Well I have to say thank goodness it's Monday, probably don't hear that phrase too often. I am glad this weekend is behind me as I got totally out of control. I thought by putting the chocolate chips into the cookies I could resist them and did for the most part. I did try one chocolate chip cookie and one peanut butter cookie after I made them (let's go with quality control as the reason - not lack of self control ). Then I went to the party on Saturday night. It was a late Christmas party and one of the other guests brought shortbread cookies. Now there is a reason I did not make any Christmas goodies last year and I now know why. I thought I'd have one cookie as a treat, well that lead to having 3 at the party, okay I could deal with that. But it also lead to wanting to eat all the ones I made at home and I'm guessing I had half a dozen of them yesterday. I even asked myself a couple of times why I was eating them but the call of sugar and flour was stronger than my reply. So I have learned one really good lesson and that is that once I start eating sugar I cannot control the cravings so it's best that I keep it out of my choices for now. That's much easier to control during the week when the temptation is 12 miles away at my house! Also means that DH will be taking the rest of the cookies to his office tomorrow so I don't have to see them. I'm also not planning on buying more chocolate chips to replace the ones that were used. So there's a couple of credits for me.

I did read my ARC this morning, weighed (up but totally expected), ate my breakfast mindfully and planned and wrote down my food for the day. It's a new day and a new start. I'm not going to let a dozen cookies derail all the good behaviors I know I can do.

Have a great day everyone! No time for personals now - should be working!
  • Good Afternoon, Coaches.

Lots of good stuff today.

Fyreflie: Congrats on starting your yoga program. i started a similar discipline - the course of miracles. It took me one year to complete. I actually did it twice. Each time I had a life changing experience - the first time I changed schools and met my beloved DH. The second time I started writing a book and getting my MFA. Big things are in store for you.
    Tazzy: Boy, do I hear you with the sugar and flour. It is my downfall. I am glad you're back at work. Today is a new day.

For me: There was less grousing for chocolate at school. I still hit a blue patch but the damage was minimal. Credit for making a green eyed smoothie. I think it curbed my hunt.

Going home early from school today. I need to detach a little more from here and hang out with DS.
  • Hey Beckies:

I found this in Yoga Journal and thought I'd share:

"Should you get into a situation when you're overeating all this beautiful, rich food... it's an opportunity to step back and say 'oh! Aren't I a fascinating being? Look at what I'm doing; I wonder what that's about,'and approach the episode not as a failure or 'bad', but just as 'here's another fascinating facet of my being'."

Yoga's about treating ourselves with more kindness... anyway, hope you enjoy
  • I'm going to have limited internet connectivity for the next few days. Not that I've been all that active here! But it's important to say when I will be back to make sure I get here! So, expect to see me on Sunday or Monday.

Happy days, everyone! I'll try to keep reading even if I can't post and please know that I hold each of you in loving kindness and gratitude.