Delicious DIY microwave popcorn (not the brown bag)

• So, I had been trying to find a good organic microwave popcorn that comes in small serving sizes. No luck. I investigated the much-touted homemade microwave popcorn idea in the brown bag, but I read that those bags have lots of chemicals in them, and it isn't healthy to use them to microwave popcorn in.

Then, I came across this idea.

It works GREAT! Yesterday, I bought a bag of Arrowhead Mills organic popcorn kernels and tried it. The great thing is that I know exactly how many calories I'm popping (eliminating the ever-present confusion w/ calorie counts on those bags of microwave popcorn). I measure two tablespoons of kernels (85 calories), 1/2 tsp oil (20 calories--I just used olive oil rather than butter; I'll try butter next time), and some salt. I even sprinkled a tsp of parmesan cheese (about 8 calories) on the finished product. YUM! A big bowl of parmesan popcorn for less than 115 calories!

That blog also has a recipe for homemade kettle corn (corn popped w/ brown sugar added to the oil or butter). I'm trying that next.
  • What type of container do you cook it in? Did you mean to post a link?

ETA: Oh, it looks like you just went back and posted the link. Thanks! Great idea!

I have converted to a lot of whole foods over the past few years and microwave popcorn is one of the things "next on my list" to stop buying the processed version of.
  • what type of container do you use? I'd probably try one of those ziplock plastic containers and cut holes in the lid, would that work?
  • OK, so it then using plastic? Like that is any better a paper bag (though probably less messy, but any healthier? Even if you use a tempered glass bowl you need a vented lid and all lids will be plastic, right?

I keep making it in a pan on the stove. Takes time, but no worries about plastic and chemicals.
  • I worry about plastics and microwave use, as well.

I make mine on the stove as like berryblondeboys. It doesn't take any longer than the microwave if you use a cast iron skillet (with lid, of course.) Plus, you don't need to use fat if you use cast iron. Although, I do...
  • I used to use the paper bag, but I GRADUATED from that method last year & bought me one of these! It is for the microwave & it is a hard plastic type container. For $15 I felt I was so worth it & I LOVE IT, I bought it at one of those stores that sell everything for kitchens. But I am sure they sell everywhere online too. It works great, I just add 1/3 cup of popcorn & it fills that sucker up in 4 minutes, then I just take the cover off & munch away right in the warm bowl which warms my hands... Love this I eat it straight up as I have never been a fan of butter or salt. Yum!

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/images...355-255788.jpg

Also, you get maybe 6 of these liners included with the popper. I picked several spares up too being you go thru them quite quickly if you eat a lot of popcorn, they were like $2 per package.
    http://www.safehomeproducts.com/shp2...sion=75&text=Y
  • How about a glass one with a silicone lid, made in America, even?

http://www.vermontgift.com/microwave_popcorn_poppers
  • why all the fuss about fancy gadgets?

i just made a bowl now: big glass mixing bowl with a plate for a lid. worked a treat.
  • That's what I was just going to say. Glass bowl and plate for lid.

Esp if it is like pyrex bowl with spout & handle, plate on it will be vented since the spouty part is "open" even if plate covering. Tada. Vent!

A.
  • not even necessary to go that far: the plate doesn't seal down. when the pressure gets too high, the plate pops up.
  • Ah, you chicks are too creative. The best I can come up with is using a sauce pan and a ladle for tea water because my teapot broke.
  • riddy - is there another way to boil tea water?

i don't like tea made with the water from the kettle - it always has a scum on top. it doesn't when i boil the water in the pot. i've scoured that kettle, descaled, you name it, but it always has that scum.
  • The popcorn never actually touches the vented plastic lid (not for the 2 tbsp amount I use w/ the size bowl I use), so I don't worry about the plastic.

I like the cast iron idea, too, though. How much of a learning curve is there when you cook it on the stove?