I saw a plastic surgeon today...

• To see about getting my excess skin removed. I have a HUGE apron that hangs way way down.

The surgeon is going to submit photos and a letter to my insurance company to see if they will pay anything. If they do pay, it will only be to remove the apron. The surgeon was a little down on having the apron only removed - implying that it won't make much of a difference cosmetically or practically. Of course he wants me to have a full abdominal surgery. The cost for the entire procedure would be $8600.

IF the insurance pays for the apronectomy, and I elect to have the whole thing done, the insurance will not tell me how much they would pay. Apparently I would have to pay the whole $8600 up front and then they would reimburse me whatever they calculate - it could be $800 and it could be $5000. I can't justify in my mind spending $8600 on this, I just can't.

Does anyone know anyone or has anyone here had JUST the apron removed? Are you or they happy? Has it made a big difference?
  • Anyone have any thoughts?
  • Hey CherryPie99, admittedly I never heard of just having the apron removed. Is it sort of like a tummytuck without touching the abdominal muscles below it?

Either way, try posting this question in the Weight Loss Surgery forum and see if you can get better answers.
  • I know a woman who had the apron removed, went back about a year later for the full surgery. She did see a difference and was initially pleased with it, but over time decided to go for the rest of it. I believe that when she did get the full surgery she also had to have a hernia repaired and that might have been the final push to do it?