Edemame/soybeans?

• I just got back from my initial consult and forgot to ask if soybeans/Edemame was allowed? I love them with sea-salt so figured it would be easy if it is allowed.
  • There was some discussion a few days ago on the daily thread about this. Personally my coach said they were allowed, but they were counted as protein and not as your veggie. They have a lot of carbs in them though so I would view them more as an occasional treat. I only have them (and I split an order with a friend) when we go out for sushi because I know I'm not getting the 8oz protein in my sashimi order. Ask your coach though because they are all a little different.
  • thanks so much.

I am trying to read as much as I can. This board is a blessing and a curse because there is so much information but it can kind of get overwhelming too!
  • My coach specifically said no edemame. She is a registered dietician. I was very disappointed.
  • Keep in mind that edamame is soy, and any middle-aged woman wants to avoid much soy because of the phyto-estrogens and the health issues associated with becoming estrogen dominent.

IP products already have a lot of soy, so I would personally not want to add even more by eating edamame. (even though I loooove it, darn it)

If you do decide to eat edamame, please make sure that it is NON-GMO....that is a growing problem with all edamame suppliers. If it is non-GMO, it will say it on the package (and hopefully it is correct).
  • My coach said it falls into the "occasional" category.
  • I wish I had read this before I had lunch. I split an appetizer of spicy edamame with my daughter. I hope it doesn't mess me up too much.