Itchy 'Ticker' Finger

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I've been fluctuating by the same 2lbs for a long time now. I just been leaving it alone.
  • I update my ticker after I have seen that low 3 times (does not have to be in a row) but if the same number pops up 3 times over the course of a week or two then I consider it a new low for me!

However, sometimes its so hard to wait to update it! I love even just looking at it and seeing a different number lol
  • I update it to the lowest weight. It takes me a month to loose 2 lbs, so every pound counts
    Right now I'm 1 lb over what my ticker says, but I'm getting back down there - it's more of a motivation for me.
  • I weigh every day because in my mind I think if I didn't I wouldn't rely on myself to be accountable. I would think, "Oh, my weigh in isn't for a few days. I can have _______ today and make up for it later." This would totally take me off track because it wouldn't be just once that I thought that way, it would be all of the time. I see fluctuations every day and I expect that so I keep track of the lowest weight as long as I know that I am staying on track. If I know I am not as careful as I should have been than I accept the gain and chart that. I generally see one or two days of a slight gain and then a day of a new low. It just keeps going like that so I know I am losing still and just holding water on the off days. It works for me.
  • I frequently step on the scale throughout the week but only record my Sat (weigh-in day) weight. Up or down or if it stays the same . . . it is what it is.

My Spiney Norman ticker is wanting to get to that first 10lb loss goal.

Dinsdale? DINSDALE!
  • I'm another one who weighs daily, but only updates the ticker when there's a low. If I'm on-plan (1200 calories a day, regular exercise), then it's going down; anything showing different is a fluctuation. And if it ever stayed there for longer than, say, a week or two? Well, it'd be time to see my doctor, 'cause I know what I'm eating and doing, you know?

But, yeah, I still get the itch. I recently stayed at 243 for six days, and it was driving me nuts. I like seeing progress!
  • Quote: In my opinion, weighing in daily is an unhealthy mindset when it comes to losing weight. Your weight does fluctuate and depending on that number to decrease daily is just unrealistic and depressing when it doesn't change. I think weighing in once a week is the best way to go. Update your ticker once a week as well. You shouldn't really gain much if you're still dieting/exercising during the week, so you won't have to worry about that anymore. I don't understand the obsession with weighing daily to be honest. It's weird, lol.
    Weighing daily gives you a really good understanding of how food and drink and exercise and dehydration, etc. affect your weight. This can actually be a lifesaver for a lot of people who might be discouraged when they weigh in one Sunday and then the next Sunday find they weigh the same amount. They often don't realize that they actually have lost weight, but that the added sodium they had the night before, or the water retention from weight lifting, etc. is affecting the scale.

It's a personal preference. For me, well.... Ironically, what you call obsessive is what ended my obsession with the scale. Now that I understand how my body works day to day, I don't get concerned when I am up three pounds one morning, if I did everything right. I know the previous morning and the morning before that, I was where I should be and that I didn't overeat, so I don't panic. I get it now. Conversely, if I know that weight has a lot to do with all the excess food I ate the day before, then I start the morning off knowing I need to get back on track. It's a visual reminder to get right back to it. By weighing daily, I remain continuously accountable, but I also am not ruled by the number on the scale. It's the best of both worlds for me.
  • I only change it on weigh-in day or whenever I next log in if I wasn't on that day. I get excited knowing that I have something to look forward to if my weight drops again just after weigh in day.

I'm another one who doesn't increase it if I fluctuate a bit as I know it's temporary.
  • Another daily weigher here - and I'm not obsessed, rather it is the best feedback I can get each day for how calories are actually affecting my body and which nutrients I am sensitive to. I'd suggest googling the Hacker's Diet for a great explanation as to why daily weighing is very valuable for zeroing in on real time data about your weight trend. It's all about the trend line, baby

Pick a day each week to change your ticker and if your weight is lower than the ticker, move it along. If it is higher, keep weighing daily and see what the next ticker change days brings. Simple, stress free.