Extra body hair

• Okay I know that this is probably a strange subject for some of you guys but I'm curious. I have always struggled with a little extra body hair in some places (like my tummy) and it is very dark. Well as a teen I went to the doctor and asked about it. She essentially told me that it was there due to excess fat under the skin and if I lost weight it would likely disappear. So, I'm wondering if any of you ladies have had any experience with this and did your weight loss help? I know body hair is related to hormones so I'm guessing she was telling me that being overweight is making my hormones crazy...
  • Quick question: How is the hair on top of your head? Is it thinning or falling?

If it is I highly recommend getting blood tests done, and to especially focus on your estrogen, prostrogen and ANDROGEN levels.

I have the double whammy in terms of hirsuitism: PCOS and hypothyroidism. I have chin hair sprouting out that I've been told is stronger than most male's! I have to get it plucked, waxed or threaded regularly or I'll look really bad. In fact just a couple of days after a waxing or threading session and I'd have some sprout out! My chin hair doesn't even have the decency to wait the typical 2-4 week time period like the rest of my body hair! I'm just lucky that the rest of my body hair is pretty thin/fine despite having dark hair and pale skin.

However, since taking BCP I feel like there has been a change, a lessening of sorts now that my hormones are not as messed up, so there is hope!
  • A friend of mine gets laser treatments for the extra hair on her face.
    The treatments work best with dark hair.

There is something you can buy and do it yourself at home now.
  • Your ethnicity comes into play too. I hail from hairy folk, so I have more body hair. It's annoying but there are ways to minimize it (products, shaving, etc.)

If its excessive hair, then there may be a hormonal issue going on.
  • Like PPs said, it could be genetic or it could be hormonal/weight related.

If your mother or other female relatives were of normal weight but quite hairy, you are doomed (like me!) My size 2 mother has a thick moustache and a hairy backside, and guess what she passed on to me?
  • Quote: Quick question: How is the hair on top of your head? Is it thinning or falling?

If it is I highly recommend getting blood tests done, and to especially focus on your estrogen, prostrogen and ANDROGEN levels.

I have the double whammy in terms of hirsuitism: PCOS and hypothyroidism. I have chin hair sprouting out that I've been told is stronger than most male's! I have to get it plucked, waxed or threaded regularly or I'll look really bad. In fact just a couple of days after a waxing or threading session and I'd have some sprout out! My chin hair doesn't even have the decency to wait the typical 2-4 week time period like the rest of my body hair! I'm just lucky that the rest of my body hair is pretty thin/fine despite having dark hair and pale skin.

However, since taking BCP I feel like there has been a change, a lessening of sorts now that my hormones are not as messed up, so there is hope!
    Well, actually a lot does come out but I have very thick hair, so this wasn't always a concern for me. I will have to see about maybe getting some blood tests done at the health department, if I am able to do that, because we do not have insurance.
  • Quote: Like PPs said, it could be genetic or it could be hormonal/weight related.

If your mother or other female relatives were of normal weight but quite hairy, you are doomed (like me!) My size 2 mother has a thick moustache and a hairy backside, and guess what she passed on to me?
    Ehh, my whole family has always had a little bit of weight issues. I'm really not sure where my issues come from because my mother is overweight and she doesn't deal with this, and my paternal grandmother only became overweight late in life and I don't think she ever dealt with this either.
  • I have a little extra hair right under my belly button. Not alot, a few things of dark hair...same thing right between my breast. Weight loss never did anything for me. My moms hairy...guess which of her daugthers she passed it too? ;D haha...I wouldn't worry about it. Wax/shave/pluck.. and its all good
  • I have noticed no change in my body hair amount (which is ample if you care to know) since losing weight. I think it's mostly genetic.
  • I agree with the lovely ladies saying it's probably genetic and/or hormonal. I don't think being overweight makes you grow hair, or that losing weight makes you lose hair. IDK, I could be wrong. Now I guess I'm going to have to google it. LOL
  • it may be weight related.

i have a little, trail on my tummy. i have always had it, i have a moderate ammount of body hair.

i found that it was prevalent, hard, and much thicker/harder to get rid of at 269.

at my low 175 right now- i find that it's hardly noticable,and much finer.

also, my body hair is darker, and my skin tone is very fair (i am of eastern european descent, brown hair brown eyes) so im WHITE. i have been tanning a bit 1-2 times a week, so i do have a little bit of colour and i find that the hair shows even less.

when i was bigger, i wouldn't even consider shorts if i hadn't dealt with everything like, an hour prior.

now, i go days without shaving and theres really no growth it's amazing.
  • I am a hairy gal, always have been before weight loss, and nothing's changed so far so it seems I always will be! I was tested for PCOS but don't have it, I just come from hairy folk. It's something I deal with on a daily basis, chin hairs are my nemesis!! Maybe one day I'll get laser treatments. For now, I'm too cheap.
  • I agree with DesertTabby. Get tested for PCOS. I have an inkling that's your problem.
    Actually, my weight loss hasn't changed my PCOS at all. I'm still have missing periods etc.