Stairs and standing

• Just looking for input. Will living in a home with stairs help me burn off calories? I must go up and down them 30 times a day, at least. I know I am building muscle b/c my legs have been tight and sore since we moved. Also, my new routine involves many more hours on my feet standing b/c I now use my laptop a lot and most often use it standing up. I find that I hardly ever sit down now. Can I expect to see some benefit from these changes?
  • I would say yes. Activity is activity no matter where it comes from. Any increased activity is beneficial.
  • I recently set up my laptop so that I can stand and use it. (I can pull over a tall stool if I get too tired). I was wondering if that helped, so I'm glad to see that it does!

With stairs, I sometimes challenge myself to go up two at a time. That is a workout!
  • Yes! I purposely incorporate more standing and walking into my everyday activities, and I really believe that's why I can eat more calories than I initially thought I could.
  • Try going up them backwards too, you'll definately notice it in your legs.
  • Absolutely- you might want to invest in a fit bit (google it) and compared to a sedentary day or a day with few stairs, you'll get a LOT more steps in
  • Yes yes yes!

Activity is just as important as exercise. I posted a thread about this a few months back!
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weig...g-all-day.html
  • Quote: Try going up them backwards too, you'll definately notice it in your legs.
    Oh wow. That never crossed my mind. I'll have to try that.
  • Absolutely. Despite skiving off games from the moment I realised that I could hide in the music department, I had a beautiful figure at school, as did almost everyone else. I think a lot of it was due to the fact that it was a large school where there were about 8 lessons a day, and each time you went to a different lesson, you had to climb several flights of stairs and trot along a fair bit of corridor and possibly into a different building.