Major Anxiety Problems - Need Support

• This could get long, please bare with me
    I have a very severe anxiety problem as well. I suffer from general anxiety disorder and from social anxiety disorder. Currently I am off medication for it because after turning 21 I was no longer on my mother's medical and thus could not afford the medications to help. Since I went off my anxiety is out of control completely. I worry about the stupidest things, and it actually causes me to feel physically ill.

For example, I worry about my fire alarm going off for no reason (It does this from time to time and its never a big deal but for some reason it hits my nerves the wrong way), this worry will actually keep me awake in the morning after my boyfriend leaves for work. I feel like I need to be "ready" to jump up and shut the thing off even though it only happens once every several months. I worry that a pipe in my basement suite will burst and I won't be able to access the water shut off in my landlords place and will be forced to watch my place flood. I worry about the electrical outlets malfunctioning and starting a random fire, in fact I unplug almost everything I possibly can every night before bed because it worries me so much I can't sleep. I worry about having a sudden need to use the "bathroom" in a public place or when there is no bathroom in site, sometimes I upset my own stomach I worry so much. Feel free to laugh, I know they are ridiculous.

One of the biggest ones is that my boyfriend will get into a car accident and I won't know. This happened in October 2011 while we were 8hrs away from home or family. We were so far away for his work, we didn't have to go but thought it would be a chance to get him some extra hours. We were out of cellphone range so I didn't hear from him all day and when 6:30pm rolled around and he was 30mins late being home I started to worry. 7pm hit and worry turned into panic and 8pm hit and I was freaking out. When i got a text message from his phone it stated he had been in a car accident and was going to the hospital, but it did not say if he was okay only that they would call when they were in better cellular range. You can imagine the complete meltdown I had sitting alone in our hotel room. I panicked so much I ended up vomiting and nearly passing out, I had to wait another horrifying hour and a half before he called me. He had been coming home when a deer popped out and he swerved, he rolled the car off a embankment and totaled it. For the most part he said he was alright, but was being taken to the hospital for whip lash and a injury to his ankle. When i finally saw him he was okay other then being sore and I arranged for a ride home the next morning. Ever since this accident though my anxiety has taken a turn for the worst. He now has to text me and tell me when he has made it to his destination be it work, grocery store where ever. I NEED to know that he made it, thankfully he doesn't think I am insane and takes it as being extremely caring.

When I talk to my mum about this she tells me that I am insane and taunts me telling me her toaster is plugged in all the time. Its not her fault she has never dealt with anxiety of this magnitude before. A new problem that has occurred is that my boyfriends boss now wants him to work graveyard shifts from 6pm-6am, night time is the absolute worst time for me. I worry about break ins, drunk drivers driving into my living room , fire basically everything. I know that I cannot tell him to say no, this is his job and if they schedule him for it then so be it. I should also not be using him as a "safety blanket". I have not discussed this with him because I don't want him to feel obligated to stay with me but I am actually terrified of being alone for that long. He will be hours away and the last time I was alone at night was when he was in the car accident. I know I sound silly and completely insane, irrational and ridiculous but I can't help feel that feeling of "dread" when I think about it. When he told me I actually started to cry and went into a total panic attack, thankfully he was no home to see me extreme reaction. We just got benefits again and I will be going back to the doctor and getting of medication, but until then I was hoping someone could offer a suggestion or support.

So my question is does anyone have/had anxiety this severe and how did you help manage it? Thank you for any and all who actually took the time out of their day to read this.
  • I also have really bad anxiety issues.... I hate it! I do not take meds for the problem because they only made it worse. I worry about every strange feelingin my body at times and tend to concentrate on it till I go nuts. It all started after having kids. I am much better now. I've learned how to deal with it. Take deep breaths and always think of the odds of things that you think might happen will actually happen. Must of the time, the odds are a long shot.
    Plus, invest in some camemeile (m/s) tea, it is a natural muscle relaxer and will help you calm down when you drnk a cup or two... Good Luck!
  • Hi
    wow. first of all. Support is very helpful when anyone has issues like this.
    I am sorry your mother does not understand this.
    I know exactly what you mean thou. Some doctors have said OCD ( obsessive comp thoughts) others just called it aniexty.
    Thank God mine comes and goes. Usually if im very stressed for a period of time. It starts up again. and little things can trigger it..
    I used to think If i didnt say a prayer when I was driving past this one spot, my husband could be killed. Now when I stand back I could see. how silly it sounds. but your mind has control over it..
    Another reason my weight goes up and down.. i get to a point that I say. oh my life is horrible and just give up.
    A Great doctor once told me.. As long as your fighting against it every day.
    Your winning..
    I also find it helpful to try to break down the fear in my head.
    you should look around my husband was out of work. and a christian counselor near us. actually cut his fees in half.. and adjusted my meds so i could get some that was cheaper. they rather you do that than have no meds, if you need them. Plus ask there are always free samples or coupon cards that help.
    I been med free for about a year now. I still have days.. but I am a lot stronger and get through them. and you will too..
    Good luck. There are a lot of help out there too. Look it up online.
    I think so many have aniexty problem now, than 50 years ago.
    Is because we do so much more.
    The world spins so much faster now......
    Good luck!
    Grace
  • I have some anxiety issues, but not that severe. I use some CBT techniques that were recommended to me by my doctor to help me deal with them.

Have you seen a psychiatrist or psychologist recently?
  • Quote: I have some anxiety issues, but not that severe. I use some CBT techniques that were recommended to me by my doctor to help me deal with them.

Have you seen a psychiatrist or psychologist recently?
    I used to go to a psychiatrist when I was in my teens and covered under my mums medical. It didn't help unless it was aided by medications which to my surprise cost a ridiculous amount as soon as I lost medical coverage. I was forced to go off them as I could not afford rent, food and medication. I will be going to my doctor as soon as I can get in to start medication again, however I am not sure therapy will be covered. I will be sure to check that out though.
  • Mothers say cruel things because they have their own issues. This is how issues get passed down in families. It may not be anxiety, but your mother only says these things to you because somewhere, sometime in her life someone made her hurt. You are not required to love her for it, but understanding why she does it might help. Unless someone has a vendetta against you for some thing you did to wrong them, they are being cruel because, unfortunately, misery also has a "pay it forward" attitude.
  • This is an ignorant question, but does Canada's "socialized medicine" not include psychological services?

I don't know if it would be helpful for you, but the CBT book my doctor recommended for me and that I've found very useful is Feeling Good by David D Burns, M.D. It's written for people who are dealing with depression and anxiety. It's available as a paperback online and probably at whatever major bookstores are in your area.
  • I have similar issues. Without my psychiatrist and regular doctors help along with medication I'd be a lost cause.
  • Ii am so sorry you're going through this - NO ONE should be laughing at you. Your former medical providers should refer you to someone covered by public health care. Get on some waiting lists - I think it's *really* important. Yes, this is possible in Canada.

Also: buy a new, working alarm clock

I have "minor" anxiety. I should consider seeing a therapist in the future. I worked on trust - trusting that things will be ok, that my loved ones will make the best choices they can for safety. I stick to a routine. I challenge myself to get out of my comfort zone on my good days, and rely on friends/bf to get me out of the house on my bad days. Meditation, less computer/tv has helped immensely.
  • anxiety or so called GAD is not an illness. You don't have to go for meds to cure it - they are only cutting the symptoms and have huge amount of side effects - from my experience I have now to fix my health (and body) and only by throwing all the meds away I can feel better (and thinner )
    I want to say that if that's not an illness you can overcome it. Just need to motivate yourself and have courage to help yourself. the Anxiety is behavioral issue - it's just how we react to what is happening with us.

make a research of the causes of your condition, what you really afraid of? Why it's always simpler to think that something bad all happen (like the situation with your boyfriend)?... but there is always has to hope for the good.

take some good books on how to help yourself - this is really inspiring and always help to understand yourself.

from my experience I'd like to say that everything that happens around is not good or bad - or really frightening. It's we are who colors the events into something emotional. To live better, I need to see the better world around.

Hope, everything will be alright with you and good luck!