Quest for the perfect swimsuit for a hard to fit body

• The list of what I need is long, so read before making suggestions please as I have already done a lot of futile searching.

1. I am large chested, so supporting the girls is number one. No soft cups and no "one size fits most". It won't fit me. I need in US sizing a 34g or DDD. In a US size 10.

2. I cannot wear halter top style swimsuits. They put too much pressure on my neck from the weight of the breasts and give me an almost instant headache. So, it needs to be a regular bra style suit with straps going over the shoulders.

3. I am on a mission to look the best in a swimsuit I ever have as an adult. Wearing a bikini would feel like the ultimate victory, so I would like to find that, or a tankini that doesn't ride up, but.... See 4.

4. I have a lot of stretch marks - everywhere. The most noticeable on my tummy. They are about as bad as they can get for stretch marks and they go up and over my belly button. So, if I get a bikini, the bottoms would need to go to my belly button. No low rise bikini bottoms will work.

5. As far as body shape goes, I have a short torso and long legs. Current measurements are 41 32 41. Will hopefully be a bit smaller as I take the last bit of weight off.

Up for the challenge of finding the perfect suit? I'm not worrying about a price tag either. this is my gift to myself for losing weight and getting fit.
  • Hmm, Fredericks of Hollywood, although they don't have much up in the way of swim wear right now, usually has a good selection in the spring catalog. Lands End, LL Bean, Venus Swim wear, to name a few. The Venus catalog has a selection of tops and bottoms you can mix and match. Includes Tankini's underwire, full coverage bottoms, bottoms with skirts attached, etc. I was looking at the catalog the other day.

If you find one let me know, I'd love to have a great new suit, that held up the girls, covered most of the stretch marks and is still cute.
  • Quote: Hmm, Fredericks of Hollywood, although they don't have much up in the way of swim wear right now, usually has a good selection in the spring catalog. Lands End, LL Bean, Venus Swim wear, to name a few. The Venus catalog has a selection of tops and bottoms you can mix and match. Includes Tankini's underwire, full coverage bottoms, bottoms with skirts attached, etc. I was looking at the catalog the other day.

If you find one let me know, I'd love to have a great new suit, that held up the girls, covered most of the stretch marks and is still cute.
    I was just on the venus site now. Problem is that they don't have cup sizes big enough, I might be able to stuff myself in a DD cup, but it's doubtful as swimsuit cups tend to be less generously sized than bra sizes. Llbean, lands end don't carry the larger cup sizes at all.
  • I think I've found the designer I love! Tara Grinna. Gorgeous stuff in all sorts of styles and in my cup size! Yay! Pricey, but for losing 100 plus pounds, so what!

http://store.taragrinna-swimwear.com/
  • Quote: I think I've found the designer I love! Tara Grinna. Gorgeous stuff in all sorts of styles and in my cup size! Yay! Pricey, but for losing 100 plus pounds, so what!

http://store.taragrinna-swimwear.com/
    While they have gorgeous swimming suits, I'd caution you NOT to take their sizing advice, which is flat out wrong. Here's what I found on their website:

Quote:
    For back measurement: measure just under bustline (while wearing a non padded bra).

If measurement is below 33 add 5 inches. If above 33 inches add 3 inches. This is your band size. Band size is always even number so if yours is an odd number, scale up to next even number. For example if your measurement is 28 and you add 5 it reveals a band measurement of 33. Go up to next even number which is 34.
    Your back size should always be your band size. This information is pretty outdated. Especially since you have a G cup you really will need a tight supportive band so when trying them on make sure you can only fit about two fingers underneath the band and only attach it on the largest hook. Otherwise you'll need to go down a size.

Actually, definitely check out this post and the picture of the lady in a well fitting suit vs. one that doesn't fit, there's a huge difference!!!!

---------------------------

I have a lot of the same issues as you when it comes to finding suits, except I had a long torso instead of a short one. What has worked best for me is finding a bikini top that fits well and then finding bottoms that match (not necessarily from the same designer). I too need high-waisted bikinis (that are hard to find!) due to stretch marks and my butt. One thing I had a lot of luck doing is buying two swim suits bottoms for dirt cheap at Old Navy and having a seamstress combine the two (I blogged about it here).

Also check out modcloth and pinnup girl because they have a lot of high-waisted bottoms and you could always find a top to match it elsewhere.

I really would encourage you to buy something that's exactly in your bra size. I've found that no matter how cute I thought a suit looked, one that was the right size fit me infinitely better. The most flattering top by far is my bikini top from Ewa Michalak, but, unfortunately, they don't have much in terms of bikini's on their site at the moment because they are out of season. However, the shape it gave was absolutely amazing and even though my stomach is not one of my favorite features it really elongated my torso too because it gave so much lift! I also loved that it fit like a bra in that it had multiple rows of hooks and adjustable straps so I got more wear out of it. Unfortunately now it's too big for much swimming so I've had to lay it aside for any heavy duty swimming.

If you have questions about size check out bratabase too for tons of reviews on suits and fit. It's really an amazing resource!!

Good luck and I'm sure you will look fabulous on whatever you choose!!!!

Oh, and I just found this... it has some great links for larger busts.

Another great link with suggestions on where to look for suits.

Here you can see a discussion on different styles in tops to get a better idea of what you might want.
  • http://www.undiebox.com
    http://www.herroom.com
    http://www.barenecessities.com

There's a few I found with 34ddd.
  • Runningfromfat I have been "fitted" by pros supposedly when I was breastfeeding. What did that get me? A bra strap climbing up my back and holding up nothing. After that I ordered from some online store and then I was ok from there by my true measurements.

My actual band size, true under bust measurement is currently 34 inches and almost no fat left there at all. Around my bust in a well fitting bra is 41" that makes a 7" difference. So, I should get a 34F or G depending on the manufacturer. That I know.

And I agree, I want a bra that fits right and a swim top that fits right because you don't feel good or confident when they don't. Simple as that. Either you have a uniboob or the back strap is climbing all the way up and your boobs arer sagging. Buy the wrong cup size and you"re spilling out over the tops and sides. I'm so not doing that.

I'll go look up the links now. Now it makes me wonder if the size of those swim suits are true or not.... Like is a 34 a 34.
  • Running format yep, basically confirmed what I already figured. A balconette bra or plunge with adjustable straps and back are essential.

I don't agree on getting a smaller band size than my true measurement though. In the 34g I have, I can barely hook it on then loosest hook. The fit is great though and since I don't have back fat, there is no indentation left on my back. When I went to a bra shop a month or two ago she tried to get me to buy 38s when my band size at the time was 35. I insisted on a 36. I tried a 34 and it was impossible to hook.

Shcirerf thanks for the links. I've found those too last night. Seems to be more and more places to look which is nice as I've been looking for years for a good fitting suit. Getting easier now that I'm not plus size too.
  • Quote: My actual band size, true under bust measurement is currently 34 inches and almost no fat left there at all. Around my bust in a well fitting bra is 41" that makes a 7" difference. So, I should get a 34F or G depending on the manufacturer. That I know.
    If your underbust is 34 then that's your band size so it sounds like you already have it right. I was just pointing that out because on the link you posted they had the old advice of adding 5 inches so I wanted you to be wary of the sizing info there. I'm not sure if their 34's are true 34's or not, I think trying them on would be the only way to find out. I'm definitely not saying go smaller than your actual underbust size, though! Now in some brands you might have to (if they size large) and in other brands you might have to go up a band size if they size small. I sure wish everyone was more consistent.

I think adjustable straps and multiple hooks are the right approach and I hope you find something that you love in that. You can always order a few and send them back if they don't live up to your expectations. I wish I could give better advice when ordering from the states but I normally order from the UK or Poland because they have better shipping rates to Brazil and have cheaper bras.
  • Runningfromfat thanks for all the help. Now to decide on when to get said such suit. I will wait and see what size I end up at as I get closer, but in weird sizes, I also know that waiting for some miracle sale will be futile.

I have to laugh at myself though. I'm thinking about a bikini at the end of December when I've gorged myself the last week on cookies and gained 13 pounds and am in the middle of TTOM and that weir gain too. I feel like a beached whale and I'm thinking about a leanere and trimmer body.
  • I'm glad I dropped by this thread. I did lots of looking and found several suits one and two piece that I like. I also have the trouble of big girls and keeping them under control.

I haven't bought a new suit in years, but I think I will this year!

It also gave me some inspiration to continue, especially with the lifting, to get my butt in shape!
  • Quote: I'm glad I dropped by this thread. I did lots of looking and found several suits one and two piece that I like. I also have the trouble of big girls and keeping them under control.

I haven't bought a new suit in years, but I think I will this year!

It also gave me some inspiration to continue, especially with the lifting, to get my butt in shape!
    Awesome. I bought a new suit this summer as mine was too big and now again, it's too big. But I will wait a bit to get a new one until I can be sure of my size. I was a 20. This summer I bought a 16 and now need a 10 or 12. With more lifting and weight loss I could get to an 8 and so I'll wait and see. I hate swimming in winter, so I won't need anything for awhile. Glad to get some ideas though of where to look and what to look for. Gives me something to work towards. I want to look as hot as this tired body can look.
  • Quote: Runningfromfat thanks for all the help. Now to decide on when to get said such suit. I will wait and see what size I end up at as I get closer, but in weird sizes, I also know that waiting for some miracle sale will be futile.

I have to laugh at myself though. I'm thinking about a bikini at the end of December when I've gorged myself the last week on cookies and gained 13 pounds and am in the middle of TTOM and that weir gain too. I feel like a beached whale and I'm thinking about a leanere and trimmer body.
    I totally do the same thing! It's always the time when I'm retaining water like crazy or overate that I want to try on clothes? I think part of it is a reassurance that I didn't go back up to the 200's or something. I don't know. It also helps to remind me of some of my overall goals so I stop overeating.
  • Quote: I totally do the same thing! It's always the time when I'm retaining water like crazy or overate that I want to try on clothes? I think part of it is a reassurance that I didn't go back up to the 200's or something. I don't know. It also helps to remind me of some of my overall goals so I stop overeating.
    You know, I never really thought about that, but it's true. And I think for me, now that I've about gotten to my initial goal (once I drop all this carb weight I'm carrying), I needed to find another challenge to push me a bit farther. And seeing those pretty swimsuits did it for me. I want a nice swim suit. And I want to feel I can stand at the side of the pool and not feel so self conscious. I'm total psyched now to hit the gym and get back with the program.
  • 2 pieces work best
    I'd find a cute print I like and get a two piece in it so you can get the exactly right-fitting sized top and bottom. biggerbras.com has some good ones.
    I'm also a fan of the tankini idea! :-)