Advice wanted from those who are phasing / phased off

• Hey all-
    I looking for some advice and/or guidance regarding deciding to phase off. I am really close to goal and feeling really good about my new weight and new body. However, I am torn about wanting to phase off and staying on Phase 1 and wanted to know how/when you decided to start phasing off and if you modified your goal weight.

The reason I am torn is because I am getting kind of tired of phase 1. I don't know if it is because I am so close to goal, or the fact that I am feeling so good and wearing sizes I never thought possible. I just don't know. I kind of feel like I just want to "be normal". Does that make sense? And to be honest, I am getting pretty tired of the packets.

But on the other hand, I think about just staying on and keep plugging away. I just don't know. I have talked to my coach and she said let's evaluate in Nov. and to finish Oct. in P1. She completely understands what I am feeling and is supportive of whatever decision I make.

The holidays are also right around the corner and I am thinking that I would like to be on maintenance through the holidays and not worry about being on P1 and the packets.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, as I am clearly conflicted. I would love to know your thought process when making your decision.
  • hi jennydoodle every clinic is different- there are a couple different ways of phasing off. One is to stay on phase 1 until you have reached goal or are a pound or two above it, the second is to stay on phase 1 until you have lost 80% or more of the weight you wanted to lose then stay on phase 2 until you have reached goal plus a couple extra for 'breathing' room. The number that you chose as your goal weight was perhaps one that you picked out of thin air at the beginning and there is no need to keep it there if you're happy where you're at. But you probably know all of this already...
    The last ten pounds are the hardest to lose mentally. Because you're comfortable where you're at and you've been on the diet so long. When I was about 12 pounds above where I finished at I had this feeling. It was a weight that I had always been comfortable at in the past and I found myself getting antsy to finish. But I pushed through because I really wanted to achieve 'goal' and I'm really glad I did. The last ten pounds made the biggest difference.
    My losses continued to be quite good until the very end though always a 2-3 pound/ week and if you're finding that yours have slowed and your body just wants to be at the weight that it's at this may be something to take into consideration as well. If you do as your coach suggests and stay on until November you may very well be at goal or within a couple pounds by then. Spend one week in Phase 2, 2 weeks in Phase 3 and you'll be in maintenance in time for Thanksgiving.
    Congratulations on having done so well- I look forward to seeing you on the maintenance thread soon I'm very sure
  • jennydoodle,

I agree with capricious. I am phasing right now I am on Phase II and then I will do the 2 weeks of PH3 and on to PH4. I am a little miffed with the big "C" on this diet, which brought about a bad case of hemorroids. I have never had the big "C" in my entire life. I now have a severe UTI, so this diet has been a little hard on my inerds. I think my body really misses my daily fruit and yogurt. I am not at goal, but am OK with it. I may jump back to PHI after the first of the year to go for some more, but this diet really is not for long-term use.
  • I got within approx 8pounds of my goal then went to phase 2. I realized my goal was low so adjusted it - I lost the weight through phase 2 (in fact hit the original goal). My body seemed to need more food - with the two meals in phase 2 it seemed to kickstart me. I love phase 3 but am nervous about phase 4 in 2 days
  • Jenny,

Like you when you phased off for vacation, I did not lose in Phase 2 (last week). I attribute that somewhat to stress. My husband had to have a stent put in a few weeks ago, this weekend I had to put down my beloved 17 year old cat, the usual work stress, etc. I was just a few pounds from goal and with everything going on, I felt like I really needed to phase off. I picked 30 pounds as my goal because it was a nice, round number, but I was more interested in getting back to a size 8. Well, I'm there and pretty happy with the way I look. If I don't see 140 on the scale...so be it. The beauty of this plan is that we have the tools to go back if we want to try and lose more. Good luck with whatever you choose.

I just had Phase 3 breakfast this morning and LOVED IT!!!
  • Thanks for the advice ladies. I do think that these last few pounds are definitely the hardest mentally. I have my WI this morning and will talk to my coach again. When we spoke last week, we talked about at least staying on P1 until the end of Oct., which would be next week's WI. Maybe I need a little jump start and P2 could be it.

I know everything that I am struggling with right now is purely mental, and maybe the stress of it all is just getting to me. Because really, by this point, I am on automatic as far as this diet is concerned. I don't even have to think anymore. I know what packets I like, which veggies I like and what proteins I like, it's a no brainer. I am definitely feeling the struggle of the last few pounds

I know I haven't been around too much, life keeps getting in the way of 3FC but I truly do love the support on these boards!
  • Hi Jenny..I went on Phase 2 and the change was nice. You find foods that you enjoy eating. I kept on losing. I also went through the I am wearing clothes in a small size and a slowing of motivation for the last 10 pounds. Good luck on your WI this week and your decision.
  • Quote: Hey all-
    I looking for some advice and/or guidance regarding deciding to phase off. I am really close to goal and feeling really good about my new weight and new body. However, I am torn about wanting to phase off and staying on Phase 1 and wanted to know how/when you decided to start phasing off and if you modified your goal weight.

The reason I am torn is because I am getting kind of tired of phase 1. I don't know if it is because I am so close to goal, or the fact that I am feeling so good and wearing sizes I never thought possible. I just don't know. I kind of feel like I just want to "be normal". Does that make sense? And to be honest, I am getting pretty tired of the packets.

But on the other hand, I think about just staying on and keep plugging away. I just don't know. I have talked to my coach and she said let's evaluate in Nov. and to finish Oct. in P1. She completely understands what I am feeling and is supportive of whatever decision I make.

The holidays are also right around the corner and I am thinking that I would like to be on maintenance through the holidays and not worry about being on P1 and the packets.

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, as I am clearly conflicted. I would love to know your thought process when making your decision.
    I am fairly new to IP and about 10 (their scale) of reaching goal. I have a question for you. Is your goal weight on your ticker your ultimate goal or your Phase I goal? I was told that Phase I should last until you have 90% of your weight off. Did they figure a Phase I goal for you-you should be within about 2 pounds from reaching it! I understand what you are saying and I am already thinking ahead and hoping that I can be in Phase II by Thanksgiving. My dear friend that did IP before felt just like you. She was close by not quite there but was really tired of the rigidness of the plan-she just asked to phase early and they were very accepting and helpful to her. She looks awesome and has done a great job in maintainance. I hope you and your coach figure out a good plan for you! Let us know what you decide!
  • I opted to phase off at 8 lbs to goal for the reasons you mention. I was tired of the diet and the packets and looking and feeling pretty good. I question how healthy it is to stay on phase 1 for too long. However, I am a size 10 now, and that last 8 lbs probably would have had me in 8's which is really where I should be.

The maintenance thread is talking about a January "re-boot" which I plan to do to get rid of that last 10 lbs. I think I'll be refreshed and ready to go in January. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
  • Thanks ladies! Just got back from WI, down another pound, so I am slowly making my way down. I talked to my coach again this morning and she had some very sound advice for me, and I now feel so much better and a lot less preoccupied with my "weight" and "goal weight".

We discussed that starting next week, I am going to start P2 and start phasing off. Here is what she said to me to help me make this decision and put my mind at ease:

I have met and / or exceeded my original goals, which were to 1). Get down into single digit sizes. I orginally was aiming for 8, but I am now comfortable in 6's and some 4's. And 2). I want my body to reflect all of the hard work I put into it ie: exercise. I have been exercising for years and running, doing marathons and triathlons and I never felt like my body reflected the inner "athlete" that I am. Now, it does.

So, does it really matter what I actually weigh? I have accomplished my goals. I am happy, comfortable and confident in my new looks. She also told me that I want to be at a weight that I can EASILY maintain. Sure I could probably keep losing and keep at it, but how much of a struggle would it be for me to maintain a weight like 120-125? I would constantly be "dieting" and trying to maintain that weight. Where I am roughly at is a healthy weight that I can maintain without constantly worrying about it. I just want to live a healthy, normal lifestyle.

And on a final note of our discussion, she said to try maintaining at this weight for a while and see how it goes. If a few months pass and I feel like I really want to lose more, then I can always go back on P1 for a month or 2 and drop another 10# or so.

I am so down with this plan and I feel so much more at ease about it. I am finishing up this week on P1 (my weeks go Wed-Wed) and starting P2 next week (Nov. 2). According to my coach, I should still lose on P2, so I am hoping to lose those "leeway" pounds so I can maintain comfortably here, at least for the next couple of months. And if I want to re-evaluate in February or so, I will.

I, too, question how good it is for us to be on P1 for such a long time. I feel really good with the decision I made and I am ready to move on. I hear you about the January re-boot Pauley, and maybe by then I might feel like losing a few more. But for right now, I am going to enjoy my last week of "no brainer" phase 1 and look forward to the future.

Boyz- my weight in my profile is my goal weight. My 90% weight would be 134, which I am a stones throw from anyway. If I lose another pound or so this week, I will practically be at 90% anyway, so starting to phase off seems like a good plan for next week.