Weight loss=identity crisis??

• Hi all!!

I am new here, and I think this site is amazing!! I have never really blogged before or done anything like this.

I have lost 112 lbs since 2/18/11 w/o surgery and I think I am having, like, an identity crisis. I am not entirely sure how to explain it, and maybe it is just a new feeling of confidence I have never had...but I know it is me, I still think I look like me; but every other aspect of my life has changed and it all relates back to my weight loss.

Has anyone else expereienced this? Is it normal? Should I just shut up and deal with it?

No one else in my family/life has expereienced this and I have no one to relate to. So, I guess any thoughts/help would be much appreciated!

Good luck to everyone!
  • Quote:
    and maybe it is just a new feeling of confidence I have never had.
    Dont shut up and deal with it, shout about it and enjoy it =)

I had this the other way around... I was an 8 stone skinny and blimped out after giving up smoking. I still felt like me but in a fat suit. It just takes time to adjust to a new perspective.

You can enjoy a new, positive, confident perspective. It is a change of mental attitude but a good one. Enjoy!
  • I think it is normal to be confused. Don't shut up though. Talk to us here. We are all in the same boat and sharing your feelings might help. We are here for you :-)
  • I just have to jump in and say, WOW!! 128lbs in 8 months is awesome!! You rock!
  • Quote: Hi all!!

I am new here, and I think this site is amazing!! I have never really blogged before or done anything like this.

I have lost 112 lbs since 2/18/11 w/o surgery and I think I am having, like, an identity crisis. I am not entirely sure how to explain it, and maybe it is just a new feeling of confidence I have never had...but I know it is me, I still think I look like me; but every other aspect of my life has changed and it all relates back to my weight loss.

Has anyone else expereienced this? Is it normal? Should I just shut up and deal with it?

No one else in my family/life has expereienced this and I have no one to relate to. So, I guess any thoughts/help would be much appreciated!

Good luck to everyone!
    First off, WOW YOU'RE AWESOME. That is really amazing!

And secondly, I know EXACTLY what you're going through. Huge parts of my life have changed because I've lost weight and I'm having a hard time getting used to them. In my head I'm still "the old me" but to everyone else I look really different.

When I look in the mirror I still see a stranger. I'm still waiting for my brain to realize that it's me I'm looking at.

Well, welcome to 3FC. You're going to find a lot of support here, but because of your experience I think you could really offer support to a lot of people as well.