Shoe Size change with Weight loss?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I think my shoe size is getting smaller. Is that unusual? I usually wear between a 9.5 and 10 (US), so I usally buy 10s. They feel so big now. How about you?
  • When you lose weight you lose all over including your feet.
  • I think this has been posted before and the answer is sure.

I remember the first few pounds I lost this time around I felt that it was from my feet...they were definitely swimming around a bit in my sandals at the beginning of the summer.

Of course, my barrell-like belly is the last place the weight wants to leave!
  • I haven't gone down a size but my shoes certainly are more loose. Got some blister because of it
  • Yes. And it upsetting me... I have ton of shoes, and now I swim in everyone of them... to the point I'd trip, or my stupid pants legs fall in the shoe, and I have to stop and pull them out. The fact the pants are loose as well, sure don't help. I really don't want to spend too much money on new clothes and shoes, for I'm not done yet with my weight lose, so I'm thinking to start paying more attention to yard sale, consignment stores etc, to find a few cheap thrills to tie me over to my 'official' size.
  • Extra weight on our bodies causes our feet to spread out more, thus making them wider overall. When you lose substantial weight, not only do your feet shrink a little, but they become less wide, so you get a double whammy.

So many of us have experienced this....not that it will make you feel any better, but you may have to consider a new shoe wardrobe .

Oh well, there are worse things I suppose.
  • This happened to me -- my feet went from a 10 to a 9.5. And I ended up getting tendonitis in one of my feet/ankles because they were too loose and my ankle wobbled around too much! Replace your shoes, at least the ones where you are not able to tighten them with laces etc. Especially if you walk a lot or if you have a job where you're on your feet a lot. I'm a teacher, and I wore a lot of open-backed mules and sandals.

I haven't been able to wear high heeled shoes for six months, and I had to completely discard all my flipflops and open-backed shoes, because my ankle just can't tolerate them anymore.
  • What a bummer.... My boyfriend loves to take me shoe shopping (he loves seeing me in heels - and he has good taste!) so I have developed quite a collection over the last year...

I have the SAME 9.5-10 problem. I have to ask for both sizes because every shoe designer seems to be different. Now that you brought up this thread, though, it does occur to me that I seem to be fitting more into 9.5 and 10, and I've even gotten into a pair or two of 9s!! That's awesome when 10 is such a difficult size to find.
  • the width in my feet have decreased. Sitll an 8 but I don't have to buy wide anymore! LOL
  • I have gone from 8w to 7.5 regular. Never expected it but it makes sense!
  • Yup, back in the day when i lost 70 lbs., my foot went from a 9.5-10, now i wear an 8.5-9!!
  • I am noticing my feet are shrinking as well!
  • Yes! And it's annoying, 'cause some of my favorite shoes are way big now
  • Yes, it happened to me and was glad to have 3FC to confirm I wasn't imagining it.
  • Quote: Yes! And it's annoying, 'cause some of my favorite shoes are way big now
    The things that no one tells us about weight loss.

I went from a 9.5-10 to an 8.5. I literally cried when my favorite pair of shoes didn't fit me anymore.

I mean, it's a good thing, but no one prepared me.

I miss those shoes.