Does Anyone Believe in a "Set Point"?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Thanks for the feedback..

I do think it is physiological for me. My body responds better (Fat loss wise) to calorie restriction than to increased activity. Now that you bring it up, I did lose my period the two months during this time and it returned the last month when I cut back on activity and focused on diet but maintained the deficit. I was weighing and measuring all my food during this time.

Its a mystery

I do feel that settling point is more accurate than set point. I had been brainwashed by the myth of starvation mode for a very long time and never ate low enough to lose weight out of fear that my metabolism would come to a screeching halt or I would actually gain fat, then I started to realize my lack of progress was not cutting calories enough! I was so afraid to eat at 1200 calories and now I realize that is probably where I am going to need to eat to reach my goal and that's OK, I am not going to go into a magical starvation mode

I just think it is interesting that in my experience and through feedback from friends and sisters, exercsie does not seem to elicit the same loss as calorie restriction, even when all is equal....I could be wrong but I have never met a woman who manages to lose weight/fat through only doing cardio..
  • Speaking only for me and I am 5'8 1/2" and weighed in this morning at 125, I do not believe in set points. My set point has continuously shifted lower to where I am now and I enjoy it immensely.

It matters what I eat both in terms of calories/carbs and especially grains. I have no obvious symtpoms of celiac disease (endo and colonoscopy with annual checkup is perfect for example) but grains do cause me to eat more and be hungrier among other things. No stomach distress. First thing I gave up when I started tracking 2 years ago was my DH old fashioned oatmeal at breakfast that I had eaten once/twice a week for 30 years. I absolutely love it but it is not the best meal for me. Other choices are better. I choose those other meals and do not look back.

I am not hungry, irritable, tired, have brittle nails or are bald. Who knows what I will weigh a year from now. But it will not be due to some mindless stroll down intuitive eating. The "isle of denial" is not a vacation spot for me any longer.

Again, you asked for those who are your height, age 49 yrs. This is my n=1 experiment.
  • As I was reading one of my favorite sites, Hyperlipids, after posting earlier, the current study being discussed is about set points/settling points. If you are into science, perhaps this discussion might be of interest.

http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.com/
  • Thank you Karen for your input! I greatly appreciate it. After writing this post a week ago, I can say happily that the scale has FINALLY started moving in the right direction again. I am down 3 lbs. from 2 weeks ago. Because I am vegan, sometimes I think I can eat more, and that simply isn't true *apparently*.

I did as a few other posters here said and have been consistent with tracking my calories and not eating after a certain time at night. It appears to have been that simple. I was getting trapped in snacking quite often and not really keeping track of the calories. I thought, subconsciously, that if I ate a few grapes, nuts, chips, etc. that those calories didn't really count. It was as if I was trying to sneak something by my metabolism.

Thank you to everyone again who has taken the time to respond. All the info. is appreciated.
  • I think you will still have to come to terms with an "imperfect" body even if you reach 130. The skin issues will not go away. I find mine actually become more noticeable. I didn't think I had any of those issues after losing 100 pounds (at 180) but once I got to 165, yep- I've got the loose skin too.

Here's the thing, nobody has a perfect body. All those perfect pictures we've seen are all airbrushed and photoshopped into oblivion. Seriously, when's the last time you saw a real woman naked/in a bikini who had a flawless figure? I can think of maybe 1-2 people in my 30 years of existence and they just had great genetics. Sure weight loss and strength training can cause great improvements, but there's also something to be said for accepting that you are perfectly flawed and beautiful or you run the risk of never being satisfied and constantly battling with your weight. If you get to 130... why not 125? Why not 120? Why not 80? You know what I mean? Where's the line that will be IT? There isn't one because your body will not magically become perfect ever.

I'm just saying, don't let the body image thing go- it needs to be dealt with at some point whether you lose 5 pounds or not.
  • k8yk-
    I'm so glad that I came back and read your response. I really needed to hear this right now at this time. I have been having issues with my mother (who I love very much, but.....well, it's a long, dull story).

My mom has been thin all of her life. Seriously, all of her life. Never overweight, even when she was pregnant, which I've heard probably a million times in my life. My sister and I are/were both big girls. Obese actually. We've probably both heard that a million times. My mother is the perfect 115 lbs, 5 ft, 3 inches. I've also heard this a million times. I have been told that I have a big forehead, big shoulders, big legs, big calves (I have even been told this since I've lost weight).

I have to tell you, I have entertained the idea that I would love it (even if only for one single day) I could tell my mother that I weigh less than she does. I am a little messed up in that department. I find myself competing with her because she makes it so enticing in a weird way.

Since I'm venting, I will tell you this little tale. I had brain surgery, for the 4th time on June 1st of this year. It is taking a really long time for my hair to grow back. It's bugging me to no end. My husband and I were out to dinner a few weeks ago. The server came over to our table and said to me "would you like bread sir?". I have had people say that since my surgery, but she made it worse by apologizing forever and loudly, drawing the attention of several other patrons. I was mortified and wanted to crawl under the table. I was very hurt by it. I don't really know why I let this one instance upset me so. I needed support and I told my mother about it. The only thing she said to me "well it would help if you'd wear makeup".

So, there are obviously some issues there, and I don't want to literally get down to her weight. However, as you mentioned, now that I've gotten smaller, the crazy thought has entered my mind. So, you are absolutely right. I do need to deal with my body image issues sooner rather than later. Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Rhonda
  • Rhonda, I am sorry to hear about your bad experience with that server. What a douche. I think we all go a little nuts over weight and image sometimes- been there, done that.
    You deserve to be happy and it's not going to have a damned thing to do with your weight, I promise you that!

-Kate