Undereating help.

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Ill certainly try having full fat stuff rather than 'diet' and try to even eat different things like have a wrap or pita for lunch instead of a straight ham salad. A girl at my work also suggested i drink a milkshake/smoothie in the morning with my breakfast so instead of eating my banana as a banana i stick it in the blender with some greek yogurt, milk and a little honey and have a slice of wholemeal toast or some crackers with it.

Today i havent done much better really. I had a banana for breakfast (95 cals) and couldnt force anything else down - normally i do have yogurt as well, salad for lunch (130ish cals) and then a dairylea dipper thing in the afternoon (123 cals). I did also have grapes and yogurt in my lunch bag plus loads of cereal bars in my desk but i just didnt get round to eating them/didnt want them/didnt have time - not actually sure why i didnt make an effort to eat them - just wasnt hungry.
    Dinner will be chilli with rice and lots of veg - but i know that wont be more than 450 cals so really im at a loss again today.

I am pretty stressed out just now to be honest about various things but normally when im stressed i stuff my face. I have no energy and no brain power to try to push myself just now - my days are basically work, gym, more work, home, eat dinner, tidy up and bed. My only real me time is when im in the gym - thats when i can think and try to assess how im doing on this journey.

Im just so glad i can come on here and ask a question and have so many people willing to help and offer advice.
  • Quote: Today i havent done much better really. I had a banana for breakfast (95 cals) and couldnt force anything else down - normally i do have yogurt as well, salad for lunch (130ish cals) and then a dairylea dipper thing in the afternoon (123 cals). I did also have grapes and yogurt in my lunch bag plus loads of cereal bars in my desk but i just didnt get round to eating them/didnt want them/didnt have time - not actually sure why i didnt make an effort to eat them - just wasnt hungry.
    Dinner will be chilli with rice and lots of veg - but i know that wont be more than 450 cals so really im at a loss again today.
    1/2 of a banana with 1-2T of peanut butter may be a little better of a choice than just the banana - you may be eating half of the banana, but you add in 100-200 calories!

For your salad, you can add cheese, seeds/nuts, and full fat dressing. I like craisins in my salad too, or turn your salad into a wrap. Wraps can have all kinds of oils and flaxseeds and range from 100-(too many calories!)

As for your dinner, add some full fat sour cream to the top of your chili and some cheese.

There are some really simple additions you can make to add in the calories you need if you really want to do it. If you're struggling with the idea of eating more, you may want to seek out different help, namely a therapist or nutritional therapist (I saw both). It was the best thing I've ever done for myself, and it regulated everything that I never even thought was wrong with my body - moods, sleep patterns, skin, etc, and I lost weight.
  • I dont like peanut butter or sour cream and im not too keen on cheese. Im a bit of a fussy eater which i think makes this a bit more difficult. To be honest finding higher calorie healthy foods that i like is really difficult. I cant even drink normal milk because i dont like the taste anymore (been drinking semi skimmed since i was about 15). When im not watching what im eating i tend to eat a lot of bread, pasta and baked potatoes with tuna mayo but obviously now i need to moderate these a lot more to the occasional treat.

Ive always had a salad for lunch or a sandwich because its easy for me to take to work with me the difference now is i dont eat a packet of crisps or yogurt covered honeycomb as part of lunch.

I used to have toast and ham at breakfast but now i prefer my yogurt and banana - i feel less drowzy after eating breakfast if that makes sense.

I know im rambling and making excuses now and its time to stop! tomorrow i will try cereal and yogurt for breakfast (about 260 cals), salad lunch with more meat maybe an extra 25-50 cals worth (1 slice is 25 cals), i will eat my 120 cal bag of grapes ive now taken in 3 days running. I will have a 500 calorie dinner and i WILL have some raspberies and my nectarine AND i will even have a hot chocolate.
    Hopefully that should be a bit better. Thats my plan - ill let you guys know if i stick to it.
  • Oh man... I am RIGHT there with you....

Obviously every person is different and a large part of my issues have to do with my medical issues... One of them being that my sense of hunger comes and goes in weird patterns that have nothing to do with weather or not I have actually eaten! Example-If i was not paying attention and forcing myself I might only eat once a day or maybe once or twice every other day.... SOOOO not good.

Because of this I have a really hard time eating enough... ive been eating fairly normally for the past year and a half but ever since I lost the first 50lbs it has gotten a LOT harder... I have been trying to drink a lot of water over the past about 10 months or so too and that makes it worse... cause im def not hungry when im full of water.

I'm really interested in reading what everyone has to say... I have a really hard time with "planning out meals " because my life is kinda crazy and its just me! (no husband or kids or anything)... I also really dont like eating snacky stuff like nuts all day..i dunno why. I like food! (Please see my starting weight for how much i like food. lol) but munching on stuff every few hours is just annoying for me...

Does anyone have any snack bars or anything that actually taste good and are good for you that might add calories? (something other than peanuts or almonds is kinda what im looking for... oh man i have eaten so many of those in my lifetime the idea makes me sick. haha)
  • Have you ever tried Luna bars? They're specifically for women (lots of iron and folic acid) and they have tons of fun flavors. Also, Kid's Clif Bars. The regular Clif bars are too big for me (and too many calories), but the Kid's version are smaller and also come in "better" flavors.

My life is kind of crazy as well, and I live with just myself, so I tend to use my crock pot on the weekends to make lunches/dinners and I pack stuff for the whole week, that way I can just grab and go in the morning.
  • I notice that you say you have salads for lunch, but may eliminate it for a wrap or pita. Why not have both? When I've been lazy and didn't feel like making much for lunch, I've thrown leftover salad into a wrap. To cut down on messiness, just wrap it in aluminum foil. Yummy and you don't need a fork (great for me; teachers don't really get to relax for lunch, haha. I can munch and work).

I use 100 calorie wraps, but if you're trying to increase your calorie count you might want to look for higher-calorie wraps