October Feathers Chat

You're on Page 6 of 8
Go to
  • Aw man. I failed the language test so no job. Oh well. Eating is under control.
  • Aww, Krampus,
    That sucks.

I have a cold, and I am so crabby today. I'm doing some work from home, and I shouldn't, because it's stressing me out, but not doing it and having work pile up is stressing me out more. There's only one piece of my job that's stressful, but I'm right in the middle of it, and that will last through November. Urk.
  • Lisa ~ I hate counting cals for just that reason. If I stay low then I "expect" a loss and it's frustrating when I'm making sacrifices and nothing happens. Hang in there! I know it doesn't help, but at least you didn't gain.

(((((Krampus)))))) Bummer about the job. If it makes you feel any better, I failed a transcription test AND a computer skills test. For the transcriber test, I was looking for a part-time job that I could do remotely and thought that transcription would be ideal... also thought it would be a walk in the park... ummm, not so much. Got the e-mail telling me "thanks, but no thanks" too many mistakes. That was a bit devastating. Failed the computer skills test when I went to sign up for a temp agency. I was all psyched to be interviewing with them and spent all my time researching their history and the companies they worked with. Went in to take the test, thought I did fine, but the woman came back with that look on her face, took me into a private room and said "I'm sorry, but you're test scores were lower than our typical candidates scores. Here's the name of another agency, though." Ummm, yeah. Is that the agency for people with no computer skills? I plead my case, told her that this wasn't typical of me, and asked her if there was anything I could do to improve my skills. She gave me some tutorials and they actually really helped. Ended up interviewing with another agency (not the second-rate one she offered me) and did markedly better. Moral of the story: plenty more opportunities out there. Sorry for the book length response, but just wanted to let you know that I've been there, too.
  • Ann~ Yuck to not feeling well. Double yuck to work stress... What kind of work do you do?
  • So sorry to hear about the job woes Alexis and Krampus bad times.
    Feel better Ann. I was sick 2 weeks ago, it was awful..

Today is going OK - I have 3 hours of teaching down and 5 to go.
    I'm going to try to make it to the gym tonight, my boyfriends going out
    so I might as well.

Lisa
  • PS...how often I'm posting is a good indicator I'm not spending enough time studying for the GRE!
  • Thanks guys. I ended up (probably fueled by emotions) eating junk at the end of the day, probably because I couldn't bear to eat anything until 4 pm. I didn't waste the day feeling sorry for myself though; I sent in a lot of applications and I have an interview today and another next week. Nothing anywhere near as glamorous as flight attending but we'll see. I don't think weighing myself this morning would be wise.

Lisa You have a busy day! Can you sneak in 30 min of GRE studying here and there? Do they make audiotape GRE study guides you can listen to while at the gym?

alexistrophic Aw man that's a bummer about the tests, but sounds like when one door closes another opens. I got a phone call from the airline I was applying to and she dropped the bomb on me there...I was hung over and brushing my teeth at my friend's house so that made the blow a little softer. Where in Korea were you? I was born there and visited Seoul once...Korean Pizza Hut is AMAAAAZING.

ann71 I'm sorry work is looking stressful for the next few weeks...hang in there!!!
  • Quote: Thanks guys. I ended up (probably fueled by emotions) eating junk at the end of the day, probably because I couldn't bear to eat anything until 4 pm. I didn't waste the day feeling sorry for myself though; I sent in a lot of applications and I have an interview today and another next week. Nothing anywhere near as glamorous as flight attending but we'll see. I don't think weighing myself this morning would be wise.

Lisa You have a busy day! Can you sneak in 30 min of GRE studying here and there? Do they make audiotape GRE study guides you can listen to while at the gym?

alexistrophic Aw man that's a bummer about the tests, but sounds like when one door closes another opens. I got a phone call from the airline I was applying to and she dropped the bomb on me there...I was hung over and brushing my teeth at my friend's house so that made the blow a little softer. Where in Korea were you? I was born there and visited Seoul once...Korean Pizza Hut is AMAAAAZING.

ann71 I'm sorry work is looking stressful for the next few weeks...hang in there!!!
    krampus, sorry you disn't get the job you wanted. I have a couple of friends who are flight attendants and they tell me a flight attendant is nothing more that a glorified food server.
  • Krampus - that's a good call about studying at the gym! I'm sorry about the job, I've been watching Pan Am and I think it makes it seems glam then it really is Congrats on the interviews though!

I ate well the past 3 days and went to the gym last night and this morning I was down to 143! I'd been stuck at 144-145 for 2 weeks!
  • Krampus ~ I was in Daegu. My dad was born in Korea (mom was born in Michigan) and people asked if I chose to go over there b.c of him... Mmmmm, not so much. It was mostly about the dough. Sad, but true.

Lisa ~ Hurray for the sudden drop!!! What a great feeling!!! Are you studying for the GRE online or pencil and paper? If you're studying online then at least you're in the area for studying, right? (lol)

bargoo ~ I've heard that about flight-attending, too. Things were so much more glamorous in the era of Pan Am.

~~~
    Just pounded out 10,000 steps (in an hour ten) on the treadmill. It's a start, at least. Have been making (and eating) a lot of pie of late, so that's not so great, but at least it's scaring me into moving. Doing a load of laundry and heading out to the recycling center. What an exciting life I do lead...
  • Oops. 10 days ago I said I was back, but then I was moving my house and such and so I wasnt.

Now I am though, started counting calories again. In the 10 weeks without paying attention and without the gym I think I gained only 2lbs. However - if I'd do that for a year I'd be back where I started again. So, glad to be back.

I just moved back in with my mom, so it's gonna be different this time counting calories, will have to figure out how to maintain my goals and don't feel like suffering. My mom cooks a lot, it's not unhealthy foods, but it's so much. And if it were up to me I could eat ALL DAY LONG. lol.

There's weights in the house, which I am glad for. I am gonna do weight training and I quit my deskjob and am gonna do a job in a sort of nursing place, assisting people that are handicapped. This and the moving in with my mom all so i can GRADUATE this year. It's taking me forever so I had to take some drastic decisions, hence my absense on these boards for a while. But everything is back to 'normal' again, so time to work it!
  • Hey Philana,

Congrats on the job, I work in health care too Glad the move went well. I had to move home for a year to finish my degree a while back.

Alexis..don't feel bad, my sunday consisted of sitting in front of a computer studying and writing all day. I finished my personal statement though so that was good.

I'm maintained 143 over the weekend, would love to drop another lbs by Friday. I'm going away for the weekend with my mom and my sister in 3 weeks so I'd like to be at 140 by then.

Happy Monday
  • Hi ladies!

Been a long time since Ive checked in. Been on my weight roller coaster as usual. Been doing pretty well with food and exercise for the past week or so. Headed to NY for halloween on thursday so Im going to try to keep it together and keep up with my workouts to not look puffy or bloated in my costume if nothing else

Krampus sorry to hear about your job! It would've been exciting but I'm a firm believer in things happening for a reason. Dont get too down about it or allow it to derail you too much. A girlfriend and I are actually going to be modern-day pan am flight attendants for Halloween. We put the whole costume together so hopefully it looks unique. Love your new AVI btw!

Lisatcan HI! We have similar stats and goals and actually weigh about the same right now ( both my ticker and profile are lies! lol). 125 was my original goal but Im muscular and once I realized how hard obtaining and maintaining 135 was I decided to re-evaluate. As of late Id be ecstatic to just get back to 135 and stay there. I reached it months ago and Ive been up and down ever since. Best of luck to you though!
  • Philana~ Welcome back in! I'm in a similar situation, I think. Am living at home and just quit my day job working at a hotel. Am now working for a friend's father in an office support-type capacity, but much less moving than I was doing before. It's going to be a challenge to stay motivated.

Lisa~ Thanks for the solidarity, but at least you were productive! What was the personal statement for?

Skinnyelle~ Love the quote in your signature! That's where I am at the moment. Trying to stick with the hard work after the original motivation has left.

~~~
    So I've been feeling a bit down on myself lately... I'm frustrated b.c of period bloating (which I know is bloating and yet I'm allowing it to derail me...) and am using that as license to eat whatever the heck I feel like. I'm not really on a plan, per se, other than not eating after 8PM, drinking water, and doing yoga (which I haven't been doing, so therein might lie some of the problem)

Just generally feeling crap in general. Boo.

This new job is so much better than the old one, but it's just me and the owner sitting in his home office all day, where previously I might have interacted with anywhere from 10-50 people in a given day. I'm naturally more of an introvert, so I'm more inclined to keep to myself but I miss the feeling of other human beings being around during the day... This isn't permanent, but it's still a challenge to keep motivated. I'm trying to keep myself circulating, planning lunch and coffee dates w. friends, but I feel like it's taking a ton of effort, not to mention that there is a ton of dust and pet dander in the home office and I have atrocious allergies....

Bleh. Going to try for an early night...

Hoping to wake up in a better mood.
  • Skinnyelle - Hi! Nice to 'meet' you Cool, we have the same stats. I've also gotten down to 135 more then once and not maintained it. To be honest 125 is more like a dream, I doubt I'll get there! I think my 'set point' is around 145-150, in that if I eat healthy but don't worry about it and bike everywhere that's where my weight sits. I have to work pretty hard to get down to the 130's. I'm so jealous of the people our height who can drop to the teens! Good luck getting back down, I'm sure you can do it!

Alexis - Sorry to hear you're having a rough time, I teach music to kids one-on-one and it can get a little lonely too. Hope you wake up in a better mood The personal statements are for grad school, I'm applying to 7 masters programs and one phd program in the public health/health psych field. It's so stressful!! I can't believe I've chosen this time to try and drop 20 lbs.

Today went OK, stayed within my calories again!! My boyfriends in DC for the next three weeks so I think I'll be able to eat well and work out...he can be a bad influence!