Staying on plan while sick....

• Not sure what's going on, but I had a horrible migraine most of last week and into the weekend and now it's turned into a stomach issue. I walked until the migraine got too awful. I'm having a hard time staying on plan. My stomach hurts, so I'm eating more breads (as opposed to nuts, salads, etc). I know I"m over my calories, but I just don't feel good enough to make the effort.

So...how do you stay on plan when you feel icky?
  • I've been dealing with a bad cold since last week. The way I stayed on plan was by not allowing myself to think about going off it as an option. I knew I was getting close to reaching my 2nd 10% minigoal and I tried to just keep focused on that. And realistically, eating carby comfort foods wasn't going to get me better sooner so I decided it wasn't worth derailing my progress. And still under the weather this week, but again, I am so focused on hitting Onederland that I refuse to let a cold stand in the way.

I also reduced the intensity level of exercise but have kept going with my daily activity - I figured even a little slower and less intense was better than not at all.

So no real tricks or anything, just making myself continue to go through the motions of staying on plan.

hope you feel better soon!!
  • I was sick the last 2 weeks and finally feeling better. I tried to stick to my good foods as much as I could and only continued working out if I felt good enough. I read that if you feel sick above the head (like a sinus cold etc..that's what I had) you can continue with your regular workouts which I did. I had a head cold and cough. Pushed through it. But if it's below the neck you need to rest and also if you have a fever. Listen to your body the best, nap and sleep when you can and get lots of vitamin C. I went out and bought V8 juice, now keep in mind I got rid of all juices in my diet etc, but I figured I'm sick, I need the vitamin C (which you can get in other forms, but I felt the more natural the better, don't like taking pills) The V8 juice is 100% vitamin C then I juiced my own oranges too. It really helped! Just do the best your body will allow, don't push yourself if you feel sick really, if you need to rest then rest. Good luck!
  • Migraines are horrible, so anything you do to function normally is an accomplishment. Just take things easy and get well. Then worry about calories. Try the BRAT (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) diet for a couple days to ease up on the tummy. Add tea and yogurt if you want a little change. Yogurt is always good for tummy troubles, and the rest is low fiber and easy to digest. Do what you have to do to get better. Here is a hug . Hope it helps.

Lin
  • Agree with Lin. Do your best and get back OP as soon as your well. Be sure to ease back in slowly too so you don't over do it to early on. Take care of yourself!
  • Thanks everyone! Still not feeling great and don't know why. I did lose 1 lb this week and I'm very surprised! Hoping I can shake off this icky feeling soon. I need to walk and just don't feel up to it.