What Languages Do You Know?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • English: native
    basic Spanish
    American Sign Language
    some Czechoslovakian (my family's ancestry is from Czech)
  • Quote: That's why I took it in college.I thought if I liked enough and did well,I wanted to be an interpreter.It wasn't easy,and rather then continue on,I gave up.I really wish I hadn't given up.
    I'm not crazy about interpreting, but my job led me in that direction. For me, it's much easier since I think in ASL and often have to translate in my brain (like when I was a kid I would finger-spell behind my back during spelling bees).
  • I'm native English (of the British kind) and am fluent in German. I just moved back home from a German speaking country and can feel the German slipping away, despite skyping with my German speaking boyfriend every day. Irritating!
  • I know English, and that is it. I'm sort of ashamed about that.

I'm half Mexican (meaning, my Dad is Mexican American and my Mom was white) and I don't know Spanish. Dad wasn't able to teach me Spanish as a kid due to health reasons. In high school I took Latin. I've been able to pick up a word or two here and there, and I have a few books and such... but I cannot speak it fluently.

As a kid I used to speak fluent sign language (and not just finger spelling, actual signs) when my sister and I took a course in sign language as kids. We used to speak with the deaf community a lot. Now I remember a scant handful of signs, but last year I was able to communicate with a deaf man while at the doctor's office, so I suppose that is good.
  • This is so interesting!

I speak English, high school Spanish (so, hardly any), and know enough conversational/slang Swahili to get by with basic things and/or yell at potential theives (they don't call it Nairobbery for nothin' ). I spent about 2 months in China and no matter how hard I tried, I continuously failed at every Mandarin attempt.

I'm moving to South America in February and have been told that I won't need a lot of Spanish, but will most likely have to learn an indigenous language. I'm excited becaues I'll actually get language training and will be living where I have to use the language on a day-to-day basis.
  • English

Piglatin

My wife says I speak "double negative"....

I ain't got no idea where she gets that from
  • English (obviously), American Sign Language and a fair amount of british sign language. I used to know a lot of sign for the deaf/blind, but I've forgotten most of it.
  • Quote:
    I'm curious what the difference is between ASL/BSL and "sign for the deaf/blind", as I was never aware of one.
    The deaf/blind are not able to see the sign language that we usually use, so you adapt things that you do within their hands. Like, if you were to cup your hands on top of each other and allow someone else to put their hand inside that cup, a person could make signs within that cupped hand that the person who is cupping their hands could interpret.
  • English, Hindi, Marathi
    Marathi si my native language
    understand many other Indian languages
  • puneri I live in India! Marathi + your username = are you from pune? I'm in A.P.
  • English is my native language. I took enough French in high school and university that I used to be able to converse with fluent speakers, but unfortunately I lost most of it. I can read a letter in French, though, and at least get the gist of it. Also, when I'm shopping for groceries, if I see a can and the French name is the only thing showing and there are no pictures on the can of what's inside, I can always pick it out.

I took introduction to Inuttitut (the Inuit language, or Eskimo language) for Labrador (Inuttitut has many dialects depending on where it is spoken) in school earlier this year, wish I could speak more and I may take future classes. That is the language spoken by my culture, actually, and my username is a derivative of a word that means "Owl" in Inuttitut. I can speak a few words in Innu-Aimun, spoken by First Nations peoples of Labrador, but not enough to have a conversation. I was actually at a conference today where that language was mostly spoken, and I was sorry I didn't know more. I guess I'll be purchasing a Rosetta Stone at some point in my life!
  • Some very interesting linguists here!

Greek: first language, fairly fluent
    English: native
    Spanish: I can eavesdrop effectively and order dinner
    German: learned it in high school, used it twice
    Bahasa Indonesia: I can effectively shop and navigate through Jakarta

I would love to learn French.
  • Native in English.
    Advanced in Japanese.
    Advanced comprehension of Spanish, but I haven't spoken it in five years.
    Planning to learn German.
  • Afrikaans - Native (Almost sounds like German type)
    English second language
  • English
    French
    Arabic
    Moroccan
    Highschool Spanish