How do you use feta cheese?

• Hi!

I was reading a previous post by Diana3271, and I remembered that I love feta cheese, but have only had it in restaurants. I've not really used it at home.

So... can you tell me your favorite way to use feta, so I can try it, too?

Thanks!
  • I use it as a salad topping, but lots of people use it on pizzas, eggs, as a stuffing for chicken breasts, in dips, etc.
  • One way to think about it is like parmesan cheese. A strong flavor hit, though it has a creaminess. Steamed spinach with some feta crumbles stirred in turns into something like creamed spinach. Works with other veggies as well. If your salad needs a protein and flavor punch just sprinkle a bit over.
  • Feta cheese, a little goes a long way. I've crumbled it in salads, used it to flavor turkey/lean beef burgers (mix it right up in with some other spices, and the raw meat). It's also great with a little olive oil and garlic tossed with pasta.
  • On almost every salad I make... 1/2 ounce goes a looong way in terms of flavor. It's fantastic in omelets or scrambled eggs with some turkey and spinach. It's also delicious in a marinated cucumber & tomato salad.
  • Of course I like to top my omelet with it. I have found that I really like the flavors of feta and tomatoes together.

I will admit to having totally weird tastes. A favorite omelet is zucchini/tomato topped with feta. Sometimes I will cook zucchini and diced tomatoes. When I have leftovers, the next day I will drain the liquid off the zucchini/tomatoes, put it in my omelet and top with feta.
  • In Mediterranean dishes, like:
    Bulgur wheat with tomatoes herbs and feta
    Tomato, basil, and feta salad

On burgers:
    Veggie burger/beef burger topped with feta crumbles

In salads:
    especially delicious when paired with spinach, strawberries, and pears!
  • I've also had it with orzo pasta, kalamata olives, herbed olive oil, torn spinach. You can add some chicken, too.
  • I love spinach & feta omelets.
  • I love it on pita bread with roasted garlic hummus, baby spinach, cherry tomato and then sprinkled feta on top.
  • It has been a staple in my lunch salads lately. I use iceberg, cucumber, radish, bell pepper, onions or scallions and greek olives. I top with 1 tsp. of olive oil and white or redwine vinegar, black pepper and oregano. The oregano makes all the difference. I read that Presidente brand makes a low fat and/or fat free feta, and it is on my shopping list for tomorrow. Feta also has a lot of sodium, so a little (2 oz or less) goes a long way.

A friend of mine mixes crumbled feta into ground turkey for burgers. Says it gives them loads of flavor...I haven't tried it.
  • Wow.... thanks for all the ideas everyone!

I'm going to get some feta today and try it this week as often as I can...