What's for Lunch

• Ok I'm stealing Slimdown's What's for Dinner idea.

When I am at work i just want to stay out by the vending machine all day....they put it right outside my lab I need some lunch ideas and here is the situation I'm working with. We have a full kitchen here so cooking is not a problem most days, but I don't want to be in the kitchen for 30 minutes cooking either, but some days I have to drive around the city all day so I can't cook inside. I guess what I really need are some cooking ideas and some not cooking ideas And for anyone who needs to know I am just watching fat and calories, no low carb diet or anything.
  • Personally I stick to things that are QUICK and easy so I don't have too much time to think about it and make mistakes. The longer it takes to cook, the longer I'm near the vending machines. And if I don't bring my own and need to venture into the cafeteria, I'm more likely to make bad choices. Even mircorwaved "Lean Cuisine" takes 'too long' -- lol!

Soup that can be heated in the microwave (Healty Request and Healthy Choice have some good ones), cooked veggies can be heated and then sprinked w/ shredded cheese, chive cottage cheese, crackers and raw veggies -- and always some sort of fruit. Also, if you aren't trying to cut carbs, a sandwich made w/ deli turkey, lettuce and tomato is ok and great for those days on the road, etc, etc.

I look forward to hearing what others suggest. Variety is good!
  • I am a sandwich gal. Today is Subway turkey & ham. (385 cal) Yesterday was Schlotzky's roasted turkey (335 cal). Day before that it was a tuna sandwich made at home on a kaiser roll (390 cal), day before that was grilled Chicken from Wendy's (300 cal). But I only get a sandwich. If I am hungry later on in the afternoon I might grab some pretzels or fruit. 400 cal @ lunch seems to do the trick for me!

I have also started eating an apple on my way home everyday. Then when I get home I am not starving and can wait until dinner. I think that's saving me!!!
  • I'm a fan of quick quick quick. I always carry a power bar around with me in case of emergencies and so I'm not tempted to say, "Well, I'm hungry and I'm out...." and pick fast food.

But in the office, I am the queen of steamed veggies. Fresh broccoli bought from the produce section can be thown in the microwave for a couple of minutes. Then, I love to add marinara sauce and cottage cheese. It has a very lasagna feel for me.

A friend of mine at work makes a huge salad once a week and shares it with the office. I bring in soup about once a month for everyone to share. Sometimes sharing the food load with health conscience coworkers can be a lot of fun.
  • lean pockets or burritos
    I am not a big fan of frozen diet foods usually, but I do like Lean Pockets, and they are easy to make at work.

Also, I like to take a wheat burrito and fill it with anything! Turkey, beans and cheese, a l.f. hot dog, tuna, etc. and then add veggies, salsa, whatever you have and whatever sounds good! It just makes a fun variation on whatever you're making!

• For a quick fix I've been having a tuna pouch for lunch, tuna and herbs, 132 cals and I find it very satisfying, I often mix spring onions and tomatoe with it to make it even more filling. Other days I boil a chicken breast, slice it and add it to an asian soup mix with spring onoins and herbs....Yumm!
  • I have a can of soup, one of the lowfat ones from Campbells, or I bring my own. Then I will make a grilled cheese in our toaster oven to go w/it. I toast 2 pieces of bread first since it's frozen, then I stick it back in there w/2 Veggie Slices between the toast. I let the cheese get all melty, then I pop it out. Ta-da! No fat used in preparation.

I like soup & grilled cheese. Sometimes if I'm having turkey & cheese I will pop that in the toaster over, too, just to jazz it up.

I also like spinach leaves as my salad. I put shrimp on top sometimes, or a cut up grilled chicken breast, or steak cut up. It's really good w/some crackers on the side.
  • cheese!
    prettyface -- are the veggie slices good? how many calories do they have? i really love cheese and i have been satying away from it but i'd love to have a good substitute. low-fat cheese is kinda gross. especially when melted. it gets all weird.

• I eat mini-meals that have 200-400 calories, so I know what you mean about wanting some variety and ideas.

Chicken Teriaki 180 cal/breast prepackaged by Hormel on the George Foreman grill or in a skillet. I like it:
    Just the breast w/grean beans on the side with sliced almonds
    cut in chunks cooked with 1/2 inch of soy with cabbage and carrots in the skillet
    and this variation goes on and on...

Steak salad; Romaine lettuce or baby spinach, a good but small (3 oz.) fillet minigion, tomato, purple onion, frozen peas(1 serving), with a light vinagrette

Cambells Old Fashioned chicken noodle, you can eat both servings for 160 cal!

Shrimp wedge w/ cocktail sauce 110 cal!

NOW I AM GETTING HUNGRY!LOL!

Miss Chris
  • Holly - IMHO, Veggie Slices are GROSS!
  • Holly: 40 calories per slice. I get the Pepper Jack flavor, so I don't notice the difference in taste as much. I get the cheddar ones, too, but usually use them w/some salsa to mask the taste a little. I likes it hot! I'm in WI, so I still eat real cheese on occasion.

Jennelle: I won't give up my Parmesan! I use the full fat, but only a little bit.
  • whatever.

why does wiscounson hate us [california]?

it's the cheese.

=) thanks for the info! we're both in the cheese states.