Cytotech 100% whey protein

• I bought 6 lbs of this whey protein stuff at Costco today with the thought I can return it if it gets a thumbs down from fellow IPers here.

Per serving:
    130 calories
    2 g fat
    2 carbs
    27 protein

Seems somewhat comparable to IP and I think would be fine in my coffee in the morning, as opposed to one of the IP drinks or puddings.

What do folks think?
  • I cannot speak to the nutritional value, just wanted to chime in to say I had a similar plan and tried it with Optimum Nutrition whey protein and it tasted, um, icky. Maybe you could get a sample before you are stuck with 6 pounds of "creamer"? For some reason, I like the mix of the IP and coffee better than the other I tried, not sure why . . .

I have been using a flavored splenda with a splash of milk and I find the smell / slightly lighter color / flavor combo is a good substitute for me.
  • You can get 0 carb, 0 fat - protein supplements. If you are using it as a 'creamer' I would find one that is 0 carbs and made with sucralose. If you are using it to supplement an ideal protein packet then you may have purchased the wrong type of protein supplement. If you go long periods of time between meals or to use before you goto bed use a Casein Protein (slow release) as opposed to a high % Whey Protein Isolate (Quick release).
  • Thanks. The stuff I bought was cloyingly sweet -- I could not use it. So now I have this opened 6 lb bag of sickeningly sweet powder. Maybe I'll find a use for it during maintenance.
  • Anyone else out there that uses Costco Cytotech 100% whey protein for alternative protein drinks? Care to share your thoughts on it? It's ~$50 for a 6 lb bag or 78 drinks. The stats on it are as stated in this string below and they seem fine to me. Seems like a less expensive option to the boxes of 7 envelops, if it mixes and tastes okay. Then again, if Costco has carried it for this long they must sell it - so people must like it well enough... I'm tempted to go that route.

I've got some EAS Carb advantage tucked away for travel, and a nice variety of other savory envelope mixes, some Syntrax Nectar, and other variety of oatmeal, etc I will continue to use - but the basic shake thing I usually stick to chocolate and I'll be doing this for many months to come yet. Just looking at cutting costs (and storage of little boxes and envelopes) if possible. Hopefully it's not something that isn't good unless you doctor it up a lot with syrups or other things.

Hmmm not having purchased it yet.. the stats appear different under my fitness pal. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/cal...-milk-38197807 by a little bit. Still looks okay