Tomato basil soup preparation

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Good morning. I officially started IP yesterday and so far, so good. I dug out the tomato basil soup to have for my lunch, but there are no preparation instructions. I don't know how much water to add, how long to heat -- nothing.

Anyone know what to do?

Thanks.
  • Good morning. My package says 8oz (230ml).

I warmed my up really slow. I found when I warmed it up too quick it ruined the soup and I couldn't eat it. I did buy myself a really little blender as well to make the soups smoother which I found make them creamier as well. Adding lots of veggies into your soup is yummy too.
  • I am reposting this, replying to your message as I'm new to this thread posting thing and don't think you'll get my reply the way I initially posted it. Sorry for the duplication.

Good morning. My package says 8oz (230ml).

I warmed my up really slow. I found when I warmed it up too quick it ruined the soup and I couldn't eat it. I did buy myself a really little blender as well to make the soups smoother which I found make them creamier as well. Adding lots of veggies into your soup is yummy too.
  • 8 oz water... cook on 70% power in the microwave for 60 sec. stir. cook another 30 seconds on 70%...

I add apple cider vinegar.
  • Quote: Good morning. I officially started IP yesterday and so far, so good. I dug out the tomato basil soup to have for my lunch, but there are no preparation instructions. I don't know how much water to add, how long to heat -- nothing.

Anyone know what to do?

Thanks.
    Just want to say good luck. That has to be the nastiest thing I have ever tasted in my life. I couldn't even choke it down.
  • The mushroom soup is good
  • I agree. The mushroom soup and the broccoli cheese are very good-with added veggies and some herbs or spice. The chicken is ok, but the tomato basil is gross! I will try one more time with acv...
  • Thanks. I found the prep instructions in my packet. Oops -- should have looked there first.

I ate it with mushrooms and doctored with lots of spices. Will not be ordering it again. It had a sort of powdery aftertaste to it. But having had breakfast at 5:30 am and only water until lunch at 1:15 pm, I was desperate.
  • Quote: Just want to say good luck. That has to be the nastiest thing I have ever tasted in my life. I couldn't even choke it down.
    Not to get anyone discouraged, but I have to agree. I don't like the Tomato Soup. I do like the Chicken noodle one. I had an opportunity to exchange it but it got too late. I only have 2 or 3 more to drink but I don't think I will be requesting Tomato again. I'm just starting as well...so hopefully the other options are better :-)
  • The tomato soup was so gross that I had 3 spoonfuls and actually threw it away. It is by far the grossest IP food packet.
  • Tomato Basil soup improves with longer cooking time
    The first packet I tried, with no instructions on it, came out hideous. I cooked it like the Mushroom Soup mix with seven ounces of water at 70% power (I have an 1100 watt microwave) for two minutes, and it came out hideous -- grainy, not at all appetizing. Even adding another minute didn't help. After some experimentation I found that lowering the power to 50% and increasing the cooking time to five minutes actually produces a palatable result. Giving it a stir after three minutes or so is also helpful. Add a few shakes of Mrs. Dash's Basil, Onion and Garlic and some fresh ground pepper and it's actually pretty good!
  • It was the first one I tried and I cried it was so bad. I liked the mushroom soup one and the chicken noodle was ok. I liked the IP eggs cooked it the microwave but you had to watch that they didn't explode. Hang in there it gets better. Check out the recipe thread.
  • Hi All!
    If you add 1/2 tsp baking powder, water, egg white (optional), whatever spices you like and bake the tomato basil mixture at 400 for about 30 minutes flipping over halfway through, you get a "flatbread" which can be cut into breadsticks. This is pretty tasty! I hate the soups overall so I do this with this packet and the broccoli-cheddar one. I dip them in "mockamole" or use it as a tortilla stuffing it with veggies.
  • I bought 2 whole boxes thinking I'd like it but so far I find it the worst of all the IP products. (Lesson learned about buying so much of an untried product.) I've tried as a bread, as a soup, added to a recipe, added to my homemade zagetti sauce; none are really great to me. And I am disappointed because I love tomato soup! I did doctor my packet up yesterday with fresh basil, oregano, a handful of sautéed mushrooms and a splash of Braggs liquid aminos. It was a bit more palatable. The pink color is offputting, though. But, I'll eat it! It just may take awhile. Too costly to throw away.
  • Yeah I didn't like it as soup either, but I like it as flatbread - actually that's true for most of the soups and the potato puree.