Onions

• Can I put onions in a crockpot? Will they still caramelize in there. I wanted to do peppers and onions.
  • Quote: Can I put onions in a crockpot? Will they still caramelize in there. I wanted to do peppers and onions.
    my consultant said we could have cooked onions as long as they weren't fried to the brown color as this is what carmelizing is and this is when it turns to sugar. I put onions in my stir fries but only at the end for a few minutes with the rest of the vegetables.
  • I don't know of any way to caramelize them in the crock pot, so I think you're safe.

I didn't realize you wanted to not caramelize them so if you saw my original post disregard it
  • Quote: I don't know of any way to caramelize them in the crock pot, so I think you're safe.

I didn't realize you wanted to not caramelize them so if you saw my original post disregard it
    Thanks I want to make turkey linguica with peepers and onions in the crockpot
  • Quote: Thanks I want to make turkey linguica with peepers and onions in the crockpot
    sounds good, how are you making this?
  • Quote: sounds good, how are you making this?
    I just chop up the linguica and throw in a bag of frozen pepper strips and some frozen onions. And add some crushed red pepper for spice.

Oh and linguica is a local thing here I know they don't have it everywhere. They make a turkey variety that is very low carb (i think 1 carb per serving 80 calories)
  • Quote: I just chop up the linguica and throw in a bag of frozen pepper strips and some frozen onions. And add some crushed red pepper for spice.

Oh and linguica is a local thing here I know they don't have it everywhere. They make a turkey variety that is very low carb (i think 1 carb per serving 80 calories)
    Thanks. I 'm not sure if it is up here in Canada, I will have to check it out next time at the store o see if they have it. Sounds like it would be good.
  • Quote: Thanks. I 'm not sure if it is up here in Canada, I will have to check it out next time at the store o see if they have it. Sounds like it would be good.
    It s a Portuguese sausage...very yummy