lots of questions

• Hi everyone,

I'm new to these boards and to SB, and I have lots of questions for you experts out there! My DH and I have been following this WOE for 2 weeks now. We both feel great...more energy, no cravings for sweets, and just better in general. My DH has lost weight easily..about 7 lbs so far! I, however, have no had such luck, even though I eat much less than he does. I eat only legal foods, drink 90 oz of water per day, and exercise 5 times per week. What can I do better? Here are some questions that I really need help with:

1) The book doesn't talk about counting calories. Should I be counting calories to lose weight with this? Even though I am eat "legal" foods only, I am not losing weight. What can I do?

2) I read somewhere tha 100% durum semolina is legal. Is this true? I am afraid to eat any pasta that doesn't say "whole wheat" on it. Can I eat durum semolina pasta if it is "organic" and not processed/enriched?

3) Is Rye bread really OK? I found a bread at a health food store that said it was made with "light rye flour". Is that legal?

4) What about a frozen yogurt called "carbolite" which is made with Malitol?

I have so many more questions, but I'll start with just these for now.

Any help is appreciated!!!

~Lulana
  • Welcome Lulana,

I'll do my best to answer the questions that I can!

1) You don't need to count calories with this WOE. What you do need to count is your starchy carbs. If your on the weight loss plan, no more than 2-3 servings of starchy carbs a day.

2) As long as it isn't enriched durum semolina it is okay. WW pastas are better for you (i.e. they have a lower GI) but you can do the occasional durum semolina pastas.

3) Not sure about Light Rye Flour. I do know that it needs to be whole grain rye, not enriched. The second you see the words "enriched flour" run for the hills

4) Malitol is okay, but be careful! It is a sugar alcohol and sugar alcohols are known for causing certain gastro-intestinal distress in many people (i.e. gas and such ) I only use goodies with sugar alcohols as an occasional treat.

Please join us on the weekly support board. That's where we post most of the time. You'll get a ton of helpful responses there and meet a great group of supportive people.

"See" ya around!
    Kat
  • Quote:
    Originally posted by Mom2Marsh

4) Malitol is okay, but be careful! It is a sugar alcohol and sugar alcohols are known for causing certain gastro-intestinal distress in many people (i.e. gas and such ) I only use goodies with sugar alcohols as an occasional treat.

Kat

I secoind that! Milk of Magnesia has nothing on Malitol!