Wellbutrin SR?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Anyone been on it? What was your experience with it? And is 150mg normal to start with?
  • Hi, I'm on Wellbutrin SR. This is my 2nd time on it. The first time I was on too high of a dosage and I felt a little excited or hypomanic on it. This time I am on it and I feel okay with it. I think it is a good antidepressant but I have heard from some doctors that it is a weight gainer. I hope it helps you.
  • I take 150mg of Wellbutrin XL and have lost some weight since taking it. When I took Wellbutrin SR I started on 100mg. I love it!
  • Was on it years ago, had good results and it helped me lose weight. Never heard it can make you gain but meds react differently with different people.

I don't know about the dosage the doc prescribed for you sorry

Good luck !!!
  • 150 is the starting dose, pretty much. I hear people have problems when they go up to 450 (highest allowable dose), and I never personally had to go above 150.

In my experience, it gives you tons of energy, and for the first few weeks makes it hard to sleep at night. Take it as early in the AM as you can and enjoy the 5-10 lbs it makes you shed from being so WIRED
  • I'm on 400 mg daily. I love it, lost weight years ago and it made me feel alot better. As part of my depression IS being over weight, this really helped. I'm on Cymbalta as well and that in combination is really helping. Good luck
  • Thank you for the responses guys. Ii think I'll start it tomorrow, I'm going to pick them up now.
  • thanks for posting this thread , I just started Wellbutrin xl today and hope it helps me not only with my depression but with my weight.
  • Quote: thanks for posting this thread , I just started Wellbutrin xl today and hope it helps me not only with my depression but with my weight.
    I'm taking 150mg generic. Took my first pill at 9 am. Its 5 pm and I feel nothing....just my "normal" self.

Hows yours working for you?
  • Medicines like that do not typically make a difference right away. You will need to work it into your system first before you start noticing it's effects.
  • Quote: Medicines like that do not typically make a difference right away. You will need to work it into your system first before you start noticing it's effects.

Ohhh okay. I thought I was just being odd not having a reaction to it at all. xD
  • Quote: Ohhh okay. I thought I was just being odd not having a reaction to it at all. xD
    It depends. This anti-depressant is more "activating" and works on a different set of neurotransmitters than typical SSRIs. It is possible to feel immediate effects from it. Eventually the side effects are supposed to taper off, however.
  • I'll just jump in and say I'm on Wellbutrin SR (150mg 2x day, 300mg total) and I did notice the "honeymoon" phase of the medication right away (within 48 hrs). I had a ton of energy, felt like I could accomplish so much more, was happier than ever, and felt like my most social self. That last about 2 weeks and then I leveled out to just feeling good to OK. I am happy where I'm at, and I still have more energy than when I was on Lexapro... made me soooo lethargic! I will say I'm more emotional in general on the Wellbutrin, but in good ways. I feel more empathy towards others and get teary easier at happy moments (example, a friend's wedding last month). I think it's a good drug for me, I hope you find that it works well for you too. Also, I take it with 200mg Lamictal, guess I should have said that before
  • First day...I was sleepy majority of the day. Second...I felt absolutely nothing...At all. My "normal" self completely. Not even the sleepiness. My regular low energy self.

Lets see what the third day will bring.
  • Hang in there, it could take some time.... if after 2 weeks you feel no difference, talk to your doctor. Remember everyone reacts differently, so while some may have lots of energy, you may just feel ok...which is good too.