Gardening Help!

• gardeners help!!!...last year i put a rhubarb root in the ground in the yard and left it alone per the person's instructions who gave it to me...this year it grew a few stalks about half a foot high, maybe just a little higher...i havent picked it yet...the leaves though are starting to turn a bit yellow and red/pink...what does this mean? it is diseased? should i pick the stalks? what should i do?

the plant is in a corner in the yard...there is nothing else growing around it besides our lawn and, i suppose, some weeds...the rhubarb that we had when growing up seemed just fine without the slightest interference from us (weed pulling, miracle grow, etc)...it's been a very rainy summer though...temps around 50s-60s when raining and 70s when sunny
  • Not sure what you mean with yellow & red/pink. Can you post a pic?
    Don't harvest in the first year. And the follow few years don't take to much. Maybe 1/2? The plant has to establish first.
    Rhubarb is very hardy and easy to grow. Doesn't really need any attention. If you want I would get some aged manure next spring and put a little around the plant. I also put a bucket upside down over it in the early spring. It is a great way to shelter the plant and the warmth inside helps it grow.
  • Like the other poster said, you shouldn't harvest much the first year. It *should* already be past harvesting time- has it gone to seed yet? Rhubarb is very hardy.

Perhaps just a little fertilizer/manure for the yellowing leaves? I wonder if a fish based fertilizer would be a good option. Hope this helps!