Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:48 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 318/288/165

Height: 5'9"

Smile Once and for all!

Hi all! Newbie here.... I've been poking around here for a couple of days, it seems like there is a lot of positive support, so today I registered. I'm Kate, and I started my weight loss journey on May 18. My starting weight was 318, and as of today I am 298.4... I am THIS close to my first 20 lbs lost!!

I've had weight issues pretty much all my life, but particularly for about the last ten years. I've done Weight Watchers a few times and lost up to 50 lbs. one time, but gained it back. Five years ago I was going to fitness classes, walking, did a running clinic and actually ran a 10K, but although I was fitter I didn't lose weight. I guess I just wasn't committed to it enough to diet AND exercise at the same time, and one without the other doesn't seem to work for me.

This time I really feel differently about it, however. I am looking at this as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I want to lose the weight once and for all, and I need to stop taking my health for granted! While I expect I will hit times in the future when I might feel discouraged, at the moment I am feeling more confident than I ever have before that I CAN do this!! I am very lucky to have an extremely supportive boyfriend who is doing this with me. I have a long way to go, and looking at the big picture can be rather daunting, but I'm trying to focus on small milestones.

I'm not following any specific diet, but using the MyNetDiary app/web site to count calories and track nutrients and exercise. At the moment I am doing walking/running intervals on a treadmill, and Bob Harper's "Power Walk" DVD. I will add some weights soon.

Hoping to get to know some weight loss buddies here, and looking forward to learning & sharing tips, motivation and successes!
Katybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #2  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome to 3FC =)

We're happy to have you join and participate! Congratulations on making healthy changes You can lose the weight and keep it off!

There's a 300+ Club (for those of us who've started off above 300 pounds), there's a 100lb Club (for those of us looking to lose 100 lbs or more), there are age-based areas, as well as sections under Diet Central for different food plans including Calorie Counting

You might appreciate this thread: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-...s-280s-10.html

It's a regular chat thread, but most of the participating members started in the 300's at some point in their life or in the high 290's. We're all just keeping eachother company as we move down through the 200's one pound at a time.

Can't wait to see you around the boards and get to know you better!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:54 AM   #3  
Skinny chick

Welcome!
You're off to a great start!
You can do it.
NCchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 334/319.2/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katybug View Post
Hi all! Newbie here.... I've been poking around here for a couple of days, it seems like there is a lot of positive support, so today I registered. I'm Kate, and I started my weight loss journey on May 18. My starting weight was 318, and as of today I am 298.4... I am THIS close to my first 20 lbs lost!!

I've had weight issues pretty much all my life, but particularly for about the last ten years. I've done Weight Watchers a few times and lost up to 50 lbs. one time, but gained it back. Five years ago I was going to fitness classes, walking, did a running clinic and actually ran a 10K, but although I was fitter I didn't lose weight. I guess I just wasn't committed to it enough to diet AND exercise at the same time, and one without the other doesn't seem to work for me.

This time I really feel differently about it, however. I am looking at this as a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I want to lose the weight once and for all, and I need to stop taking my health for granted! While I expect I will hit times in the future when I might feel discouraged, at the moment I am feeling more confident than I ever have before that I CAN do this!! I am very lucky to have an extremely supportive boyfriend who is doing this with me. I have a long way to go, and looking at the big picture can be rather daunting, but I'm trying to focus on small milestones.

I'm not following any specific diet, but using the MyNetDiary app/web site to count calories and track nutrients and exercise. At the moment I am doing walking/running intervals on a treadmill, and Bob Harper's "Power Walk" DVD. I will add some weights soon.

Hoping to get to know some weight loss buddies here, and looking forward to learning & sharing tips, motivation and successes!
Go Katy! Sounds like you are really motivated and just reading about your plans brought a smile to my face. I can definitely relate to being fit but not necessarily losing weight. It's going to be different this time around and it's great that you have a boyfriend to support you (I'm still looking for one of those lol). In the meantime, let's love ourselves through this journey
acdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 318/288/165

Thank you so much for the welcomes!! I am already really glad I found this forum, support means so much. I am grateful for the support of family and friends, but being able to talk to women who are truly experiencing the same kind of things will be great.

Lovely - thanks for the link and the suggestions, they sound great and I will definitely check them out!

acdub - I know, what's the deal with working hard to get fitter and not losing weight??! I was going to fairly heavy duty fitness classes for an hour, three times a week, for months, and the scale didn't budge. For me, I think I was not paying attention to my diet. This time I am paying attention to both diet and exercise...... so far so good

Look forward to getting to know you all! We can do this!!
Katybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:48 PM   #6  
Cuddly Veg*n

S/C/G: 178 (153.8 Recently)/145.2/125

Welcome to 3FC! This is such a supportive place, and I'm sure you'll love it!
xxkaleidoscopic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 334/319.2/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katybug View Post

acdub - I know, what's the deal with working hard to get fitter and not losing weight??! I was going to fairly heavy duty fitness classes for an hour, three times a week, for months, and the scale didn't budge. For me, I think I was not paying attention to my diet. This time I am paying attention to both diet and exercise...... so far so good
I wish I knew! I know that even when I could jog/run a mile in 12-13 minutes, I still never felt as great as when I'm eating right and working out. The weight will only come off if we are eating right but our endurance and strength can increase regardless.
acdub is offline   Reply With Quote