Is it possible to get to 10 miles by Sept 1st?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • ok, im competitive runner at the 10K.... i canNOT run 10 miles in one hour...that is incredibly fast for that long... i do believe you could really push yourself and work up to 10 miles total though....even tough itll prob take you 2 hours to do it! the "avg" person runs a 10 min/mile, putting them at 1hour and 40 minutes for 10 miles
  • I think though your goal is a great one for a time that is a little further off from now, working from basically 0 to 10 in one month might not be possible, and you may well hurt yourself. By all means, run your heart out! But please, be safe. I've been running since March and have made it 7 miles in an hour and 30. This was slow at times, and I am working up to something much larger in the future, and it prevented me from getting hurt. Just be careful. Also, doing it in one hour seems like a stretch for a newbie runner. In any case, I wish you luck and applaud you for wanting to run and for doing it too! It's hard, but you're doing it!
  • It's definitely a great idea to set goals, but it's important to set goals within your physical capabilities. Ramping up your training that quickly could really cause you some injury. I've seen plenty of people put distance on too quickly and then have to stop completely due to the rapid increase- stress fractures in the feet, severe shin splints, knee injuries, etc. It's one of the quickest ways to injure yourself while running (according to running coaches I've worked with).

A more attainable goal might be a 5K or 5 mile distance. I can't speak for your personal pace, but for me, doing a sub 10:00min mile in that amount of training time is great. It took me about 6 months of running to drop my mile trial time from 10:15 to 8:00...and that was just for a one mile run. But I'm pretty slow. =)

Best wishes on your training! Running is awesome! Take it slow and you'll be able to do it a lot longer.
  • Quote: 8/31 4.50
    all in 30 on 9/1 I should be able to hit alteast 9 same pace in an hour. It may be unrealistic for every day but once should be okay
    If I understand correctly, you are planning to run 4.5 miles for 30 minutes on 8/31 and 9 miles in 1 hour on 9/1? Doubling your time and distance from one day to the next?
  • ^if this is your plan it is completely unrealistic and dangerous! I know we're supposed to be supportive, but I'm sorry I can't support someone putting themselves in serious danger.
  • like I said its just a goal even if its unattainable for me its something to work toward! If I dont make it this month I will try next month and the month etc etc until I get it I did intervals today (hit 2 miles) of 3.5/5 on the treadmill and for the first time since I started (I have been running intermittenly for a couple months in conjuction with yoga) I started to feel it so I will stay here monday and wednesday try to bump it to 3.6/5.1 and if that is too much I will stay where I am
  • Tough Mudder is, well, tough! I think it will be a great challenge. Train hard and, come race day, don't be afraid to walk parts if you need to. A friend of mine did it last year and saw people drop out of the race (including a girl from his group). Just finishing, at any pace, is something to be very proud of.
  • ya I am super sore today so I think I am going to stay in my 2s for the week! I am sooo grateful for everyones input! I thought since 1s were easy that I could breeze through it but yall are right and I am wrong! 2s it is for atleast the next week I am still doing tough mudder and at the end of each month I will push myself as hard as I can on my run but that is every month so maybe by the end of August I can oant through 6 miles but if not that is fine...now time for a warm bath
  • I am rockin it still and am at 10.10 min per mile so looks like I will be rockin 6 miles on the first
  • Quote: I am rockin it still and am at 10.10 min per mile so looks like I will be rockin 6 miles on the first
    Awesome! Congrats!