Super veiny hands?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I've noticed that the veins on the backs of my hands have become very obvious. They seem much closer to the surface, and almost "pop out" of my skin. Weird.

Is this a weight loss thing, a getting older thing (I'm almost 34 and am noticing some other, slight changes to my skin) or both?

I'm not worried about it, more curious than anything. I know it's not dehydration because I drink water like a madwoman.
  • I'm not sure, but I've always had veiny hands...even when I was overweight they'd get a little veiny. But when I was thin before they were super veiny and now that I'm thin again they are super super veiny And puleez! Getting older at 34! Come on us 30 something's gotta stick together - 34 is SO the new 24
  • LOL, thanks, ncuneo! I'm never planning on getting old, so getting older doesn't bother me at all. And, as my father says, getting older beats the alternative.
  • Well, we might have had some fat hiding them before.
  • My hands are veinier too, which I think is not only from weight loss but working out too maybe? And I think being a "little" older contributes to it too (I'm 36). I've noticed that other thin people have very veiny hands and arms, especially those that are in good shape. And look at Angelina Jolie, hers are extraordinarily veiny. And she's overly thin and around our age.
  • Since I've lost weight, mine are veiny, too. My forearms are also veiny.
  • Totally!!!

I notice how veiny my hands are all the time now! Sometimes they are just crazy! Never had this when I was bigger...and I also exercise pretty intensely, so I'm going to say a combination of the exercise and weight loss, as I'm sure I've lost fat in my hands!

My mom looked kind of grossed-out by them, ha ha ha! But for some weird reason, they make me happy because I figure that they are veiny because I'm getting pumped! (think Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2, hahaha!!!).
  • I'm equating mine to weight loss. My rings are literally falling off my fingers so I know the rest of my hand has to be getting smaller, too. My hands are not only veiny but boney. I love, love, love the bone that pops out on the top of my hand/side of wrist when I flex my thumb back. LOL
  • I've always had veiny hands. I thought they were bony before I lost weight, but now all my rings are spinning round my fingers.
  • I don't have veiny hands but damn do I have some ugly feet.... Not only are they big they are starting to get veiny. *sigh*
  • I work with my hands a lot so they are always veiny but they are more apparent when I'm exercising.
  • Thanks for all the thoughts, people! Good to know I'm not the only veiny one around. I guess there's just a lot less padding now.

Also, I've never been compared to Angelina Jolie before. I'll take it!
  • I'm totally veiny. It's horrible right after I exercise. Right now, you could literally trace veins in my hands and arms from the tips of my fingers all the way into my upper arm without breaking the line...
  • I prefer my hands veiny to my *** wide.
  • I was just talking to DH about this - my veins are so obvious now in my hands and forearms! Oh well!