Personality changes and weight loss

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Here's a good article on how we sometimes change our way of thinking - for good and bad - once we've lost a good deal of weight.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...y--better.html
  • Not territory I've trod myself, but it seems to me that this article is a pretty good example of unhealthy post-weight-loss thinking. It sounds like she has some unresolved issues with food and old habits.

It also sounds like she might have trust issues or something (like a dysfunctional marriage). She says she did WW, which has probably published a dump truck's worth of recipes - many of which are pretty tasty, and she won't let her husband cook for her because she thinks he might "sneak fat into things?"

Lady's got other issues. Losing the weight just exposed them.
  • Good article, thanks!
  • Interesting.. i was like that when I first lost alot of weight, but i've learned to relax and do my best to go with the flow while still being true to myself
  • I think there's some issues going on that run deeper than losing weight.
  • I'm just not willing to go there, which probably means I'll never be especially skinny.
  • Quote: Not territory I've trod myself, but it seems to me that this article is a pretty good example of unhealthy post-weight-loss thinking. It sounds like she has some unresolved issues with food and old habits.

It also sounds like she might have trust issues or something (like a dysfunctional marriage). She says she did WW, which has probably published a dump truck's worth of recipes - many of which are pretty tasty, and she won't let her husband cook for her because she thinks he might "sneak fat into things?"

Lady's got other issues. Losing the weight just exposed them.
    I have to agree, there are tons of fantastic, healthy recipes out there, especially from WW! I think there's more going on with this lady and the weight loss is just an excuse. Great article though, I am absolutely determined to get the weight off, but just as determined NEVER to end up like this.
  • Zoodoo, you don't have to be like that lady to lose weight. I've lost 55 pounds, and I don't find her article speaking to me at all. I'm just not like her. She has some serious issues.
  • I was a control freak when I was an out of control binger. Now that I have the binging under control I am letting more and more things get out of control. Like laundry, vacuuming, dusting, etc. I'm by no means a slob but I don't obsess about those things anymore. I guess because, like the woman in the article, I've transferred my control issues onto food and exercise and how I look.

So, yeah -- I understand this mentality. Luckily I don't have some poor boyfriend or husband at home looking like a wounded bird who just wants to make me a freaking cheeseburger!

Oh, and I have other personality changes too but I won't go there.
  • Wow, that lady has some problems, and weight loss isn't it. It's ok to eat unhealthy things on occasion! Really, it is! I hope I don't end up like that. I really don't think I will. I trust my DF not to add things to my food and I'm just not willing to give up some things forever. Yikes
  • See, this is exactly what I was just talking to people about at work - I feel like I wasn't completely living when I was fat. I don't want to be one of these people who is thin but is a boring miserable b!tch that can't enjoy life! No thanks.
  • Quote: Lady's got other issues. Losing the weight just exposed them.
    Smart analysis
  • Quote: I'm just not willing to go there, which probably means I'll never be especially skinny.
    I'm not willing to go there either, which I think means I'll be a happy person in a smaller and fitter body!

I do agree that I would not try to diet down to a size where I would have to painstakingly assess every single bite I eat, but I think that, as most others have said, she's got a lot of other issues going on. I don't think I'll ever be disgusted by overweight people and want to put tape on their mouths so they can't eat. If anything, I'd be sad that they haven't found the right plan and motivation to lose the weight because with even just 25 lbs gone, I feel so much better that I can't even begin to think how great it will feel when it's 2 or 3 times that much gone!
  • The writer seems to have a dangerous "all or nothing" mentality about food and weight. I can slightly understand her trepidation with having her husband cook their meals regularly. My husband often cooks (more during the winter, though), and I have to continually remind him not to use too much oil, butter, etc. The thing is, my husband has never had a weight problem and thinks my concerns are just silly. "Just eat less" is his motto. I don't put it past him to sneak more butter or oil into a dish because it tastes better and he would just justify it by saying, "It won't kill her."

However, the writer seems to be obsessive. I don't like her self-righteous attitude about people who are overweight. Also, all those goodies that she looks down upon could be worked into a plan; she would just need to eat much smaller portions.
  • Another gem from the Daily Fail, eh. She sounds like she's alternating bingeing with starving, rather than the sensible plan WW suggest. Chamomile tea and a slice of cucumber is not a meal. For heaven's sake, I'm only on 1100 calories and I'm managing to have a tasty, fulfilling diet. Someone of her height should not have so much trouble, especially in maintenance.