Ideal Protein Diet Recipes #3

You're on Page 13 of 35
Go to
  • I just made the Chili Pakoras (IP Oatmeal + IP Chili) from the Official Ideal Protein cookbook (with some of my own modifications) and they were UNREAL AMAZING. Tasted like I was eating deep fat fried Indian food from an expensive restaurant. Since I added in 2 cups of veggies, it stretched to nine good sized portions (4.5 per day, since it uses 2 IP packages)

Will post the recipe and the pix on my FB page and the Finland IP recipes thread over the weekend, but wanted to give a shout out to how great they turned out.

Steven
  • Quote: I just made the Chili Pakoras (IP Oatmeal + IP Chili) from the Official Ideal Protein cookbook (with some of my own modifications) and they were UNREAL AMAZING. Tasted like I was eating deep fat fried Indian food from an expensive restaurant. Since I added in 2 cups of veggies, it stretched to nine good sized portions (4.5 per day, since it uses 2 IP packages)

Will post the recipe and the pix on my FB page and the Finland IP recipes thread over the weekend, but wanted to give a shout out to how great they turned out.

Steven
    please do as most of us have never seen the IP cookbooks, they seem to be a rare commodity here.
  • Finn, You are the best!
  • Quote: please do as most of us have never seen the IP cookbooks, they seem to be a rare commodity here.
    Technically, you arent supposed to re-post recipes from the official cookbooks because of copyright issues.

Thats another reason I adapt the recipes, so as to respect the copyright of the original (while also having the ENORMOUS ego that I can do it better, easier, and on program the way its on our guidance lists. haha!)

But DANG they turned out delish!

Finn
  • Quote: a lot of coaches say it is okay.. never asked mine, heard they weren't very good... I have found ****aki noodles in safeway that are 0/0/0 in the produce section... they weren't bad.

okay so the link for the recipe is for recipes 2, i just did a advanced search, selected meatball recipe, and ideal protein... I knew that Jordanna had one so here is the link.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/idea...pes-2-a-3.html
    Thanks for finding that recipe. It is perfect and I like the other one with the stuffed peppers.

I am thinking I will wait and experiment with the noodles when I reach maintenance., I do not want to try anything new..getting to goal is hard enough.

I appreciate your help!
  • CHILI PAKORAS (IP Oatmeal + IP Chili):
    Devilishly good...tastes like a deep fried main course at an expensive Indian restaurant. This makes about 9 good sized portions (meaning you can enjoy 4-5 portions in one day.) Don't be intimidated by this recipe...its very easy, but just takes a bit of preparation for the veggies.

Ingredients:
    1 packet IP Maple Oatmeal
    1 packet IP Vegetable Chili
    1/4 tsp baking powder (1ml)
    1/8 tsp baking soda (about 3 small pinches)
    4oz hot water (120 ml)
    1 tsp olive oil
    1/4 tsp - 1/2 teaspoon Indian Herbs (I use more)
    (example: Garam Masala, Meat Masala, Chhole Masala or a mix of your choice of chili peppers, cumin, turmeric, funugreek, ginger, coriander, mint, curry, cardamom, cinnamon, etc)
    Cooked vegetables of your choice from the IP select list.
    (I used uncooked zucchini (both chopped and shredded), roasted cauliflower & broccoli, and raw red onion. You can also add in mushrooms, garlic, etc)

Directions:
    1. Preheat oven to 175 C (350F).
    2. Shred about 1/4 cup zucchini. Cut about 1/8-1/4 cup zucchini into small cubes. Chop up about 1/4 of a raw red onion into small pieces. (about 1/8 cup)
    3. Roast or Boil Cauliflower and Broccoli until slightly cooked. (Should still be firm.) I prefer to roast them, sprinkled with Indian Herbs and a little sea salt.
    4. Blend the IP Oatmeal, IP Chili, baking powder, baking soda, hot water, olive oil, and indian herbs until a dough is formed.
    5. Chop up the cauliflower and broccoli into small pieces.
    6. Add all vegetables to the dough and still until everything is covered
    7. Spray a muffin pan with non-stick spray. Spoon the dough into 8-10 muffins. (I spooned in 9 about halfway full.)
    8. Bake in oven for about 25 minutes. Test with a toothpick to make sure they are not too moist. The muffins will hold their shape nicely when fully cooked, but should be almost dry to touch. Just be careful not to burn the tops. I took the pan out at 25 min and took out half of the Pakoras, then let the remainder cook for an additional 5 minutes to get crisper.
    9. Enjoy 1/2 of the portions immediately out of the oven when cool enough to not burn your mouth off.

Because both the IP Oatmeal and the IP Vegetable Chili are restricted products, you can only eat 1/2 of what you make in one day. Reheat the remainder in the oven (preferred about 5 min) or microwave (ok, but will lose the crispness of baking in the oven)

I thought these were outstanding.

This is a slightly modified version of the recipe from the "Ideal Everyday Vol. 3" cookbook by Phillippe Gutierrez
    [/QUOTE]
  • Quote: Technically, you arent supposed to re-post recipes from the official cookbooks because of copyright issues.

Thats another reason I adapt the recipes, so as to respect the copyright of the original (while also having the ENORMOUS ego that I can do it better, easier, and on program the way its on our guidance lists. haha!)

But DANG they turned out delish!

Finn
    Sooooo excited and can't wait... But will. Smile. I love to adapt recipes too!
  • half way through my 4th week of IP and starting to get bored...soooo glad I found this site! I tried the "big mac salad" tonight with zero calorie 1000 island and extra lean ground beef and it was great!
  • Italian Dressing
    Quote: 1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

1 1/3 Cup of Olive oil (I use the LIGHT Taste Olive Oil by Carapelli)

1 TBS each of Sea Salt and Dried Oregano

1/2 TBS each of Garlic Powder, Onion Powder & Dried Parsley

1/2 TSP each of Ground Black Pepper and Dried Basil

Put this all together in the blender bottle and shake shake shake!!
    This is just what I've been looking for. Thanks
  • I know this recipe has already been posted in thread #2 - but I tried it today and surprisingly loved it! It definitely cured my craving for bread and I'm already trying to think of ways to alter it for different flavors. However, I found the nutritional information to be slightly different than that listed below the recipe. It was way more fat that the IP packets, around the same number of carbs, and less protein. I'm going to treat these as a restricted item.

For the whole batch: Carbs = 69g, Fat = 172g, Fiber = 64g, Protein =78g
    I cut mine into 18 squares, which makes the serving size: Carbs = 3.83g, Fat = 9.5g, Fiber = 3.5g, Protein = 4.3

LOW CARB BREAD RECIPE
    Prep Time: 15 minutes, Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
    · 2 cups flax seed meal
    · 1 Tablespoon baking powder
    · 1 teaspoon salt
    · 1-2 Tablespoons artificial sweetener (stevia, splenda)
    · 5 beaten eggs
    · 1/2 cup water
    · 1/3 cup oil (I used olive)

Preparation:
    Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan with oiled parchment paper.
    1) Mix dry ingredients well.
    2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.
    3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)
    4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan.
    5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.
    6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want.
    Nutritional Information: Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbs (0.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories
  • Quote: [COLOR="Purple"]I know this recipe has already been posted in thread #2 - but I tried it today and surprisingly loved it! It definitely cured my craving for bread and I'm already trying to think of ways to alter it for different flavors.
    This is pure speculation but I'd be interested in your reaction or that of others.

Since you're treating this as a restricted item, I don't feel too uncomfortable suggesting substitutions -- especially because I made this recipe several years ago and found it somewhat dry and tasteless. I would consider the traditional substitution, applesauce -- in this case pureed home made applesauce -- or, preferably, avocado. For the applesauce substitution and methodology, there's Footnote 1 and the directions for mixing are really important. I'd substitute at a 1:1 ration and add I tablespoon of olive oil.

For the avocado substitution I'd again use the 1:1 ratio with really well pureed avocado and add dry onion flakes and either dill or thyme. (And I've only substituted avocado once; but used to substitute applesauce all the time. The beauty of the avocado is about 1/2 the oil and monounsaturated oil and lots of fiber and good nutrients.) Your reaction?

Footnote 1 The whole article: http://community.thenest.com/cs/ks/b...es/124027.aspx

Interested in why this swap works (and when it doesn’t)? A short chemistry lesson: Although fats add richness and texture, the primary job of a fat in a recipe is to keep the flour protein from mixing with the moisture and forming long strands of gluten—a reaction that would give cake the texture of rubber tire. That’s why it’s so important to keep the liquid and dry ingredients separate until the very end, and to mix them together very gently by hand. When you substitute applesauce, it’s even more important to work the batter gently, and as little as possible, in the final mix. More tips for substitute success:

* Use unsweetened applesauce, or reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe if you use sweetened applesauce.

* Measure applesauce in a liquid measuring cup.

* Use a hand or stand mixer to thoroughly combine the applesauce with the other liquid ingredients (egg, flavoring), then blend the liquids with the sugar. With a large spatula, carefully fold the dry ingredients into the mixture until just combined.

* The finished product will be moist. Don’t alter the time for cooking because low-fat recipes dry out when they’re over-cooked.

Footnote 2 http://www.livestrong.com/article/42...ado-in-baking/
    Step 1
    Mash the avocado well. To achieve an oil-like consistency, the avocado should be smooth as possible. You can mash by hand or use a food processor. Under-ripe avocados may be harder to smooth out, so let yours ripen for a few days after purchasing; they should feel a little mushy from the outside before you use them.

Step 2
    Replace half the oil in a recipe with the mashed avocado. Replacing all the oil with avocado might make the avocado taste more noticeable in the finished product or have an adverse effect on the texture.

Step 3
    Follow all the recipe's other instructions, using the avocado-oil mix as you would with pure oil. If you have unexpected results, make a note of them for next time; for example, adjust cooking time as necessary if the baked good comes out under- or overcooked.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/42...#ixzz1aGQWZsPQ
  • Quote: [COLOR="Purple"]
    LOW CARB BREAD RECIPE
    Not sure if I would consider this a Phase 1 Ideal Protein recipe, since this diet isnt just about low carbs, but having specific foods we should and should not eat.

In this recipe there are 5 eggs (egg limit (with yolks) is 2 and flax seed meal (I didnt think that was allowed at all.)

In the alternate recipe listed, it posts applesauce and avacados... both not allowed in Phase 1...even if a sugar-free applesauce.

However, the "official" Ideal Protein recipe books (there are 3) that I have seen all have items in them which should not be allowed in Phase 1 as well (but I have been told that they are ok because of portions and have been checked). I personally try not to use recipes which look too far off the mark. (For example, in the recipe book and on one of these threads, there was a recipe for a "Chocolate Malt Shake" which used 1 cup (!!!) of Splenda which I think is ridiculous (use of sweeteners is limited and this amount is just over the top for me!)

So, for what its worth... if the low carb recipes work for you, thats great. But I would suggest also adding a note to the recipe if there is something not on protocol so new members of the forum can make better informed decisions about trying it.

(Not trying to discourage anyone from posting. I just personally got excited about the recipe before I realised that I didnt want to "risk" using it because of the ingredients I am unfamiliar with or didnt want to add. Hopefully no offense taken.)
  • Chocolate Zucchini cake IP style
    This is my IP version:

1/2 c zucchini
    2 tsp baking cocoa
    1 tbsp splenda
    1 tsp vanilla
    2 egg whites
    1 Vanilla Pudding Packet

Preheat oven to 350.

Put all ingrediants except Vanilla Pudding Packet
    in a blender. Then pour into bowl and fold in Packet
    like making muffin batter.
    Pour into small baking dish, bake for 25-30 min.

I was out of ideas for zucchini, so I gave this a try. Came out excellent!
    I know it doesnt include much veggie, but every little bit I can mix things up for me helps. (Suppose one could achieve the same thing with a chocolate pudding packet and minus the baking cocoa...I just had more vanilla, so I didnt want to waste a chocolate packet if by chance it did not turn out)
  • Great idea!

Quote: Not sure if I would consider this a Phase 1 Ideal Protein recipe, since this diet isnt just about low carbs, but having specific foods we should and should not eat.

In this recipe there are 5 eggs (egg limit (with yolks) is 2 and flax seed meal (I didnt think that was allowed at all.)

In the alternate recipe listed, it posts applesauce and avacados... both not allowed in Phase 1...even if a sugar-free applesauce.

However, the "official" Ideal Protein recipe books (there are 3) that I have seen all have items in them which should not be allowed in Phase 1 as well (but I have been told that they are ok because of portions and have been checked). I personally try not to use recipes which look too far off the mark. (For example, in the recipe book and on one of these threads, there was a recipe for a "Chocolate Malt Shake" which used 1 cup (!!!) of Splenda which I think is ridiculous (use of sweeteners is limited and this amount is just over the top for me!)

So, for what its worth... if the low carb recipes work for you, thats great. But I would suggest also adding a note to the recipe if there is something not on protocol so new members of the forum can make better informed decisions about trying it.

(Not trying to discourage anyone from posting. I just personally got excited about the recipe before I realised that I didnt want to "risk" using it because of the ingredients I am unfamiliar with or didnt want to add. Hopefully no offense taken.)
  • Quote: please do as most of us have never seen the IP cookbooks, they seem to be a rare commodity here.
    My coach told me she didn't stock the cookbooks because they are expensive for them to buy and as they are the same recipes in French and English. That didn't amount to very many recipes for the money. That was the original book I think. There is a new one on IP To Go but they only deal with people in the US.

Steve , it is not an egomaniac to realize you really do a better job at something than the published "experts". Your adaptations of the recipes are amazing.