Broken Scale?

• Hello

For the past few weeks I've been heavily dieting and have seen a decrease on the scales. This morning, I weight myself while I was still in my PJS at 197.2... I thought that was odd because that's exactly what I weighed last night and usually I weigh less in the AM.

So then I brushed my teeth, got ready and before I got dressed weighed again at 196.2.

I did that twice and got 196.2 both times.

Then I got dressed, jeans and tshirt and weight and I was at 198.2.

I've only been weighing myself several times over the past few days to try and figure out my scale... is it normal for it to fluctuate this much, or should I try to get another, more accurate scale?
  • You can't compare those numbers as the situations are not equal. You're changing clothes, and yes, street clothes are going to weigh more than PJ's... especially in the summer. And PJ's are going to weigh more than nothing.
  • Duh, your clothes add to the weight! You need to get off the scale and only weigh once a week. Heavy dieting leads to failure. Learn to make healthy lifestyle changes you can keep up the rest of your life.
  • Your scale isn't broken! You clothes weigh something and that's where your variation comes from

Most scales have some variably. And YOU have some variability. What you weigh is going to change depending on what you're wearing, what you ate, how recently you went to the bathroom. You can minimize it by weighing in at the same time, wearing the same thing. I do: first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom but before showering, naked. But there's still going to be some variation.

I don't think weighing daily is a problem, as long as you recognize the fluctuations occur and don't get wrapped up in thinking you can DO something about them.