What is your first 5k time and how to improve it?

• I did my very first 5k on the treadmill today (46 minutes). I'm super proud because I used to think I could not even get on a treadmill. What was your first time doing a 5k and how did you improve your time??
  • Congrats!!!! I think 5K is a pretty legit achievement :-D

I don't know what my first 5K was. Right now I run 5K in 30 minutes flat. I would LOVE to get that down to anything below 30 minutes though. I run on a slightly hilly sandy/gravel terrain, so my hope is that if the next time I run on flat pavement I'll be able to kick my PR to the curb

I think the way to improve speed is to run longer than your goal and then start incorporating speed intervals into your shorter trainings. The longest I run now is about 9-10K and it makes running a 5K a lot easier.
  • I started running in early May with the C25K program. My first 5K was 2.5 weeks later and I finished it in 37 min and some change at 216 lbs. I continued with C25K and ran another 5K June 18th in 35 min flat. I was 204 lbs. I'm running my 3rd 5K on 8/7. I hope to be done with the program by then, be able to run the whole thing and have a 30min-ish time.

Congrats on finishing, but I would like to point out running on a treadmill is different than running outside. You'll probably have a slower time on the pavement. It's harder, you have to deal with uneven pavement and the threadmill moves your feet back for you (so theres some running muscles your not using).

On the flip side, running an actual 5K,with a mob of runners around you, gives you a crazy jolt of energy/adrenaline. It just pushes you to leave it all out there. You end up realizing you can run alot farther than you thought.

I would HIGHLY recommend the C25K program. I've been doing it with an electric timer and an I-pod outside. Though many chicks in the C25K thread are doing it on the treadmill.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Well done! I remember the first time I raced was a 5km an I did it in 33! It was sooo hard! Now I can do it in 24 minutes! But that has taken a year
    To achieve.. The only thing that has improved my speed is hill running.. Works miracles one session a week of hills ..
  • I second what indiblue said - do longer distances and do some speed intervals when you are doing shorter distances. Working on hills has helped me, too.

My first 5k was 4/2010 - 38:50
    My best 5k was the same one a year later (4/2011) at 34:26
    SOMEDAY I hope to get under 30 mins.

Sign up for a race!! You will probably do it a bit faster than you do on the treadmill.

AND ***ALSO*** I would like to stress more than anything - CONSISTANCY is what is REALLY going to help, too. Running a few times every week. Being consistant with it... not like I have done in the past with a week to a month off here and there (it has been a while since I did that).
  • Well I ran my first 5k (straight) last week and it took me 48 mins.

This week I ran 5k again in 42 mins. I just focus on going a bit harder a couple times thru the run. I was actually surprised at how quick I was able to make an improvement even though it was slight. I managed to up my average pace by 1km/hr.