Help with Cauliflower Fried "Rice"

• I have been wanting to try the Cauliflower Fried "Rice" but have been searching the threads on how exactly to make it and can't seem to find an actual recipe. Can someone help me?? Do I need to steam the Cauliflower and then grate it?? Not sure how to make it into "rice" so that I can then put it in my pan and fry it. Thanks so much!!
  • Im trying to figure this out too..though i think i heard you grate your cauliflour and nuke it for 90 seconds? and then stick it in a frying pan with some EVOO and fry with some green onions maybe and some chicken and some soy sauce..or so i have heard???? Can anyone let me know if im right?
  • Cauliflower Rice

•1 head cauliflower (or however much you want)

Preparation:

To make this dish the most easily and to have it come out the best, three pieces of equipment are very helpful:

- A food processor

- A microwave

- A covered (or fairly tightly coverable) microwave-safe dish

1) Process fresh cauliflower until it is the size of rice, either using the plain steel blade or the shredder blade. Alternatively, you can shred it with a hand-held grater, or even use a knife, if you have the dexterity to chop it up VERY finely.

2) Microwave it in a covered dish for about 6 minutes. DO NOT ADD WATER. Cauliflower absorbs water like crazy, and the "granules" will become gummy. To keep it fluffy, just let the moisture in the cauliflower do its work.

Add whatever seasonings you would normally use for rice
  • Take a cheese grater or Cuisinart with the large hole cheese grater blade. Grate the cauliflower uncooked.

Spread the cauliflower on a paper towel lined cookie sheet (you will need to press out some of the moisture) -- put another paper towel on top and press down to squeeze out the moisture.

While the cauliflower is drying (well sort of it won't get completely dry) cook the veggies you want to add to the stir fry

I usually cook my mushrooms, garlic, fresh ginger, zuchini, snow peas, bok choy, jalepenos, broccoli (whatever veggies I happen to have and I enjoy) in a separate pan. Once the veggies are ALMOST done turn them off. (they can get overcooked quickly especially when you add them to the cauliflower rice...see the next steps below)

In a larger nonstick pan

Add some oil
    Add some spices to the hot pan to bloom them-- I like to do Chinese 5 spice or Singapore blend from Penzey's (feel free to be liberal with the seasonings...unless of course you don't like seasoning...cauliflower absorbs a lot of seasoning...but watch the salt if you plan on adding soy sauce...see below)
    Add your grated cauliflower
    let cook/sautee for 2-5 minutes uncovered (you want it to be al dente so it has some texture to it...don't overcook it or it will get a bit mushy...keep tasting it as you go)
    Add your veggies and mix them with the cauliflower
    make a well in the center of this pan (the one with the rice and your veggies - you do this by pushing veggies and cauliflower to the sides leaving the center of your skillet bare)
    lightly beat one egg
    add the egg to the center of the skillet and fry it/scramble it
    start quickly mixing the egg into the cauliflower and veggies
    add a splash or two of soy/tamari sauce
    add some hot chili sauce (optional)
    add a splash or two of rice vinegar (optional)
    top with chopped fresh cilantro(optional)
    top with chopped green onion (optional)
    add a dash or two of sesame oil (optional)
    top with grilled meat (optional)

Enjoy (hopefully not optional :-) )

Hope this helps....let me know if you have more questions. I make this for unsuspecting company all the time...and the verdict is they LOVE it and when they find out it is cauliflower and not rice...it is always the highlight of the event.
  • Sounds good! I'm going to try this. Last night I made chicken 'lo mein' but with cabbage. Was a definite winner
  • Quote: Sounds good! I'm going to try this. Last night I made chicken 'lo mein' but with cabbage. Was a definite winner
    I like making lo mein but I use zucchini as a noodle replacement (but cabbage is a good idea as well!!!) -- just use a julian peeler (yes this is a bit of work but since I always make my own pasta this doesn't seem harder or more work so I figure I can now spend time making zucchini noodles instead) peel your zucchinis with the julinan peeler - separating the strands as necessary...blanch them for 30 seconds in boiling water, drain and then add to lo mein

sometimes if I am lazy I skip the blanching step and it works great. I use these noodles as a pasta replacement all the time...it is amazing what a good sauce or good soup stock can do (since pasta is often just a vessel for the sauce/soup)
  • WOW!! Thanks for all the quick replies!! I will definitely be making some of this tomorrow night after I go to the store. Thanks!!
  • This is my lunch today.
    Thank you for the recipe.

Quote: Take a cheese grater or Cuisinart with the large hole cheese grater blade. Grate the cauliflower uncooked.

Spread the cauliflower on a paper towel lined cookie sheet (you will need to press out some of the moisture) -- put another paper towel on top and press down to squeeze out the moisture.

While the cauliflower is drying (well sort of it won't get completely dry) cook the veggies you want to add to the stir fry

I usually cook my mushrooms, garlic, fresh ginger, zuchini, snow peas, bok choy, jalepenos, broccoli (whatever veggies I happen to have and I enjoy) in a separate pan. Once the veggies are ALMOST done turn them off. (they can get overcooked quickly especially when you add them to the cauliflower rice...see the next steps below)

In a larger nonstick pan

Add some oil
    Add some spices to the hot pan to bloom them-- I like to do Chinese 5 spice or Singapore blend from Penzey's (feel free to be liberal with the seasonings...unless of course you don't like seasoning...cauliflower absorbs a lot of seasoning...but watch the salt if you plan on adding soy sauce...see below)
    Add your grated cauliflower
    let cook/sautee for 2-5 minutes uncovered (you want it to be al dente so it has some texture to it...don't overcook it or it will get a bit mushy...keep tasting it as you go)
    Add your veggies and mix them with the cauliflower
    make a well in the center of this pan (the one with the rice and your veggies - you do this by pushing veggies and cauliflower to the sides leaving the center of your skillet bare)
    lightly beat one egg
    add the egg to the center of the skillet and fry it/scramble it
    start quickly mixing the egg into the cauliflower and veggies
    add a splash or two of soy/tamari sauce
    add some hot chili sauce (optional)
    add a splash or two of rice vinegar (optional)
    top with chopped fresh cilantro(optional)
    top with chopped green onion (optional)
    add a dash or two of sesame oil (optional)
    top with grilled meat (optional)

Enjoy (hopefully not optional :-) )

Hope this helps....let me know if you have more questions. I make this for unsuspecting company all the time...and the verdict is they LOVE it and when they find out it is cauliflower and not rice...it is always the highlight of the event.