Palak Paneer from World Market

• Today I ducked in to World Market with my son. I only went in because they carry some sardines that I like. (The Angelo Parodi brand, Portuguese sardines packed in olive oil. They are a single serving, so I'm less inclined to overeat them.) We kinda went nuts in the food section. I often go in for just one thing and come out with two weeks' groceries!

Anyway, I found some palak paneer, an Indian spinach and cottage cheese dish that I had a few times when I lived overseas. I bought a packet and brought it home for my lunch. Ate it with their Jensen Orchard artichoke and spinach potato chips...what a yummy lunch. The chips reminded me of the krupuk chips my cook used to make when I lived in Indonesia.

The palak paneer wasn't as good as the freshly made dish I had years ago, so I'm going to dig out a recipe and make it for myself. But the packet was good for a quickie lunch.

I think it would be okay to make the dish with other greens as well. I have a ton of chard and beet greens right now. Should be equally as tasty.
  • People often sub firm tofu for the paneer. Greens cooked with ginger and garlic and pureed and then the tofu added in - great meal with a bit of potato, rice or
  • Unfortunately I'm allergic to soy, so I'm actually going to stick to paneer, or queso blanco. Also very carb-sensitive, so I might serve it with Miracle Noodles instead. I think it would also make a lovely sauce, instead of Hollandaise, for poached eggs.
  • Palak paneer is one of my favorite foods! I have been too lazy to make my own (I know, a pox on me for not cooking it myself), but Amy's makes a very tasty version that comes with chickpeas and basmati rice. I buy it occasionally as a treat; trying to cut back on the costly frozen stuff, but that's one I sneak into the cart every once in a while.

I think I know what I'm going to cook the next time I feel inspired to be in the kitchen.